Bellazon

Carla Bruni
Thumbnail

seshiru

Congratulations to Carla on her new baby.

Carla Bruni gives birth

Carla Bruni-Sarkozy, the wife of the French president, has given birth to a daughter.

By Henry Samuel, Paris

11:00PM BST 19 Oct 2011

The baby, was three weeks late, is rumoured to be named Dahlia, according to speculation on Twitter.

Earlier, Nicolas Sarkozy spent just half an hour with his wife in a Paris hospital. French media reported that the baby was born at 8pm local time, meaning that Mr Sarkozy missed the birth.

He rejoined mother and new baby at 11pm. Reports in France said Mrs Bruni-Sarkozy was doing well.

He rushed into the Clinique de La Muette in the 16th arrondissement after his wife was admitted yesterday, then dashed out again barely 30 minutes later, boarding a plane for Frankfurt.

The baby is the first in modern history to be born to a French presidential couple in office. The president has three sons from two previous marriages, while his wife, 43, has a son from a previous relationship.

Source

Update: the baby's name is Giulia instead of Dahlia.

Carla Bruni-Sarkozy's Baby Name Revealed

Carla-Bruni-Sarkozy has announced the name of her baby and you can already hear someone yelling her name on a fashion runway 20 years from now. In a message on her website, the first lady of France wrote: "I am deeply touched by the many messages of congratulations that I have received since the birth of our daughter Giulia.

"On this happy occasion, my husband joins me in expressing our warmest thanks to all those of you who sent us these tokens of your kindness."

Giulia is the Italian translation of Julia. Bruni-Sarkozy was born in Italy.

France's first lady gave birth yesterday in Paris. As the news spread during the day, crowds of onlookers mixed with paparazzi and plainclothes police officers gathered outside the private clinic.

The couple wed in 2008, three months after their first meeting. Bruni-Sarkozy, 43, has a 10-year-old son with the philosopher Raphael Enthoven. Sarkozy, 56, has three sons from two previous marriages. He is the only French leader to have divorced and remarried while in office.

source

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...