• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

“I always have Weleda Skin Food moisturizer in my bag for my hands, face, lips, whatever feels dry. My Shinola notebook and pen for taking notes, my iPhone, and vintage Hermès wallet. I don’t like carrying a lot in my handbag or large handbags that lose things. [This] handbag [was] a gift from my boyfriend and I feel guilty because I’ve used it once. The raw Honey from Shinola—the blueberry is my favorite.”

“Miuccia Prada gave me the lace dress as a gift, after the birth of my daughter.”

post-88330-0-1446122689-946_thumb.jpg

“I was so eager to get out of Florida, as I had never felt at ‘home’ there. My first official move was to VA, where my family is mostly from and in particular, my Nana. It was heaven to be near a big city and meet so many different people, absorb culture. I had tried New York a couple times but only lasted a few weeks because I thought it was dirty and stressful. I still feel that way. I guess I’ve struggled with that for 20 years. You can take the girl out of the country but you can’t take the country out of the girl! Eventually I just gave in and worked, and worked, with escapes here and there to live in Costa Rica and a farm upstate.”

"My first modelling gig was for the local shopping mall. I had to mannequin model in the window of a store called Body Shop. I wore terrible acid washed something and scrunchies, kids from my class came and made faces at me and held dirty notes up to the glass. I was barely 16 and decided I’d never do it again, but then I went to Paris that summer upon completing a ‘finishing school’ test shoot. I was such a tomboy, it was like taking a fish out of water, although I thought Paris was beautiful. The agents tried to get me to wear short skirts and heels on castings, but I decided to hang out in Montparnasse instead.”

“My jumpsuit collection! Not sure if I have so many because I’m lazy or because my father wore them when he worked on cars, but they are so easy.”

L to R. Jumpsuits, Maison Martin Margiela, Vintage, Vintage Yves Saint Laurent, Isabel Marant

post-88330-0-1446122689-96188_thumb.jpg

“I think I’ve been most awestruck by me being under contract with Estee Lauder for almost 15 years. I was awestruck when I received the contract, but still pinch myself. Crazy how I grew up with the brand, staring at my Nana’s vanity filled with White Linen perfume, Youth Dew and gold tubes of lipstick. I wanted to look like Paulina [Porizkova] and wore Beautiful perfume for most of my young adult life. For the record, I do not smoke cigarettes. They use them in fashion shots to make us look cool I guess.”

“I’m really lazy when it comes to working out, especially in winter. When I lived in California, I would do something physical everyday, like surfing, swimming, hiking, riding my horse or gardening. Now I’m a typical, grumpy and frumpy New Yorker who doesn’t want to go to the gym because I feel like a hamster on the wheel. I’ll try to get my yoga mat out a few times a week and stretch, mediate. It helps clear my head and create routine. I’ve signed up for Hatha Yoga classes in January, which really excites me. I think it’s most important to sleep well, at least 8 hours, drink loads of alkaline water, eat whole organic foods from local farmers, eliminate processed foods and sugar, and try to sit in a steam or sauna as often as possible. I do not like fad diets or trendy cleanses. Juicing is full of sugar so I prefer to use a Nutri Bullet, which keeps all of the fiber.”

“I have definitely done a lot in my career and feel so blessed to have worked with so many of the ‘greats’. I could have never fathomed just how far my career got and working with the likes of Penn, Steven Meisel, Herb Ritts, and Helmut Newton on a regular basis is still mind-blowing to me. When I first shot for American Vogue, I knew things were about to change, but I had no clue Anna Wintour would take me under her wing as she did. Calvin Klein was also a big supporter in my career, and it was Carolyn Bessette who initiated that relationship. I love working with almost every person in the industry because of their heartfelt passion and creativity, they are all true artists. The art is what I love in the industry.”

“I will say that quality versus quantity is a big one for me. Since our shoot, I have cleaned house and gotten back to basics. Donated books, clothes, bedding items and furniture—I unloaded 75% of my wardrobe and vouch to keep only things that I wear. It’s easy to get caught up in consumerism but it’s all about buying things that are timeless and built to last. I think Shaker meets Scandinavia is my new style ethic.”

“This mood board needs work, but at the moment, it serves for inspiration, travel, art, things I’d like to do in life and create for Shinola."
WKXWqR9X.jpg

“My favorite part of living in New York is I can be [a] mom, work, explore and socialize all in one day. It is a grind though and I am a homebody for the most part, so I feel guilty when I spend all day at home, as if I’m supposed to be doing something. My local hangouts are the galleries in Chelsea for inspiration, West Side Highway for a jog or bike ride, Tipsy Parsons for Brooklyn beer, the Union Square Market for food, the Beacon Theater for live music, ABC Carpet and Home for escape, and Central Park for what feels like a getaway.”

“My first 'fashion' memory is of my Nana sitting at her vanity table applying red lipstick, then her white gloves. It was such an elegant moment and I decided at that moment I would be just like her—minus the white gloves! On another note, I did start to dive into my fathers wardrobe around 13 years old for his fisherman’s sweaters and white Hanes t-shirts. I’d also repurpose his old Levi’s jeans and cords. It’s a dichotomy of feminine versus masculine!”

“Shinola is the coolest thing since peanut butter. Working with the brand has been a true godsend and has changed my perspective on work entirely. It feels enriching, on a daily basis, to work with a brand that is authentic and that is supporting industry in America. Plus, they are a true community. That business model is incomparable and rare. I’m inspired by the products they are creating and the integrity behind them—everything from the people who are crafting each piece, to the intention of how they are changing peoples lives as individuals or our country as a whole. As a contributing design director, I consult on new product and work on inspiration and direction in various categories. We are working to grow our female audience, so we have more offerings across the board.”

post-88330-0-1446122689-99704_thumb.jpg

“[The] Prada leopard handbag, a gift from Miuccia when I signed on to do the campaign in 1995, and the Chloé skirt that I wear relentlessly every spring and summer since I bought it in 2009.”

post-88330-0-1446122690-01383_thumb.jpg

“Detroit was once the heartbeat of America—with Motown music and industrial innovation. The city is so inspiring because even in times of despair, the spirit of the people keep it alive with hope, they take pride in Detroit’s history and manufacturing and it is that thread of community that fuels Shinola. When you are there, it is a good feeling, a creative energy and a hunger for being the comeback kid. My favorite places are The Raven, where Miss QB performs, the DIA for an incredible collection of art, the Shinola watch factory, the Henry Ford museum, Dabl’s Gallery and Bead Museum, Heidelberg Project and Slow’s BBQ.”

“My favorite Shinola products are the watches, of course, but I also love my drawstring leather bag, the pet products, our new sweatshirts (especially the shade of green), the Conway Electrical Extension Cord, the signet ring in gold, the varsity jacket, and my bicycle! We are always working on so many new products but I’m really excited about the apparel line evolving into the go-to key pieces for both men and women.”

“I buy cashmere, v-neck sweaters, sweatshirts and t-shirts in bulk. If I like a design, I get it while I can and hope it lasts a long time. Right now, I’m looking for jeans—I am still not yet satisfied with the quality of what is out there. I want near-raw denim, like old school Levi’s or APC and a boy-ish, straight leg cut. No more stretch, low waisted/high waisted, capri or flare!”

“I’m working on taking time off from modeling, delving more into Shinola design and collaborating with a couple other folks, taking a Hatha Yoga course and creative writing class.”

“I prefer flats over heels because while I love the way heels make me look more tall and upright, they really hurt my feet. Most heels in my closet are appreciated from afar.”

“My morning and nightly beauty routine are similar—cream cleanser, Rose Water Spray, Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Serum, La Mer Cream in winter and Dr. Haushka Rose Day Cream in summer. I also like to use Estee Lauder BB Cream in summer because it’s a tinted moisturizer with SPF. Must have Sumptuous Mascara and RMS Cheek and Lip Tint, or AERIN Bronze Blush and for dressing up, I like Pure Color Envy Lipstick in Envious for winter and Impassioned for summer. I love to sleep, read and take baths to get away from it all. I’ll take a hot bath using Epsom salts, using my friend Tata Harpers oils in the water and to slather on afterwards. I like Coconut Oil to remove makeup and a dab of pure Amber Oil to smell sexy at bedtime. My favorite bath product ever is Youth Dew from Estee Lauder, so rich and sensual.”

“I look for visuals in nature, people, design in architecture and interiors, art and most of all stories to gather inspiration. To me, when there is an experience with someone or something and it’s told with genuine feeling, that is most captivating of all. I’m more impressed with the deep waters and honesty of someone or something, I do not like transparency or surface.”

post-88330-0-1446122690-03311_thumb.jpg post-88330-0-1446122690-06457_thumb.jpg Px8gnqIp.jpg post-88330-0-1446122690-08474_thumb.jpg post-88330-0-1446122690-0936_thumb.jpg post-88330-0-1446122690-10393_thumb.jpg post-88330-0-1446122690-10876_thumb.jpg post-88330-0-1446122690-11409_thumb.jpg post-88330-0-1446122690-12696_thumb.jpg post-88330-0-1446122690-13467_thumb.jpg post-88330-0-1446122690-15137_thumb.jpg post-88330-0-1446122690-17366_thumb.jpg post-88330-0-1446122690-1884_thumb.jpg post-88330-0-1446122690-19708_thumb.jpg
thecoveteur.com

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...