Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

5 hours ago, Matt! said:

I'm sick. 

Time to watch Fall out..

I watched some of the show, it's a lot of fun and loyal to the source material.  I wish all media made from games could be this accurate.

2 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

Time to watch Fall out..

I watched some of the show, it's a lot of fun and loyal to the source material.  I wish all media made from games could be this accurate.

I agreed to watch it with my friend, but he's a dumbass. 

26 minutes ago, Matt! said:

I agreed to watch it with my friend, but he's a dumbass. 

….so I’ll watch the Lakers - Pels instead, in LeBron we trust. It’s not a must win game but losing puts your back against the wall. 

IMG_4240.thumb.gif.c2709840d634a163914d057d6d9092f6.gif

25 minutes ago, Matt! said:

….so I’ll watch the Lakers - Pels instead, in LeBron we trust. It’s not a must win game but losing puts your back against the wall. 

IMG_4240.thumb.gif.c2709840d634a163914d057d6d9092f6.gif

Watch Shogun E9, some Fallout, & the Canucks instead. It's clinching day!

On 4/14/2024 at 6:07 AM, Jade Bahr said:

Another upcoming attempt.

Screenshot2024-04-14at12-04-46TheCountofMonteCristo.thumb.png.bc6b2291263bea45f7a517663ba643e1.png

is there a trailer for it?

From reading the book, I think the character & appearance of Monte Cristo is readily apparent:

1. The first version of him (pre-prison) is that of an idealistic, hard working young man with a bright future ahead of him.  But extremely trusting of the goodness of people and their motives to the point where he is blinded by his 'goodness' and is quite naive.

2. Post-prison version is that of a completely changed man.  Dumas did not write much of a transition period for Dantes in his prison chapters so it's almost like a day vs night paradigm shift.

3. The character of the Count is of a man who has become warped and twisted.  His physical appearance and his surroundings is a mix of middle-eastern elite & european.  Like a Saudi royalty.  His ship is decked out like an Arab vessel.  In terms of personality he alters between having star power: a charismatic socialite & billionaire but also a super manipulative & at times bombastic villain, who wants to destroy the lives of the people who destroyed him in the most elaborate and slow-drip type of psychological torture.   There is also a darkly philosophical and mature side of him in-between.

Neither the new  film nor the new one has a Monte Cristo that entirely looks like the one in the books. In the 2002 version of Monte Cristo they chose to go with the 'Count Dracula' look which is not book accurate as they don't include the middle eastern personality & tastes. But IMHO James did a good job with the character to make him very interesting.  But it's not the complete character of Monte Cristo, which is really hard task for any actor.

The new film has Monte Cristo looking like a villain in dark European dress- not what I imagine either.

The actress that played Mercedes did a good job and is similar to the one in the book.   I do wonder if the films will do a cop-out and give her a happy ending.  Her torturous ending in the book is one that 19th century devout Christians would relate to but can be perceived as 'patriarchy'/sexist & too brutal for modern audiences.

I also wonder if they will include Haydee his young female slave. This character is as important as Mercedes also not politically correct either.  She was completely absent from the 2002 film even though she is critical in the story and the ending.

On 4/17/2024 at 4:47 AM, Jade Bahr said:

An 8 episode series is more appropriate to the length and complexity of the story.  It is interesting how they casted a good looking guy, age appropriate. 

The other French series was book accurate but they casted an old dude that looked too severe and charmless to me:MV5BMjEyNjQ4MDcyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDQ1

21 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

It is interesting how they casted a good looking guy, age appropriate.

He's coming fresh of the highly celebrated show Daisy Jones & The Six so at least we know he isn't just another pretty face (actually I already knew this before).

bacc24408c805293e15ee60c6962249b1571606a

12ff22c0dfd0a90e57c0122466300abaa69d0bda

c6554d879a2a67c44091c80cfd45061eb63a4257

14fea4bcf56f8f5c6e49a3648a4ecb75c48db272