Bellazon

Cindy Crawford
Thumbnail

Marsnoop

Cindy Crawford’s Meaningful Beauty

Written By: Brigitte on February 11, 2012

The first time I met Cindy was in 1986 on a trip to St Barths for Vogue Paris with Patrick Demarchelier. I was struck not only by how absolutely stunning but also how confident and poised she was for her 19 years. She had not reached the status of supermodel yet, but had been working quite well and everyone in the team could see this was a star in the making.

However, I remember this trip so well because Cindy made a move that to this day represents for me a historic moment in fashion history. What did she do? Well, unlike most models of the time she did not make daily calls to a rock star, male model or photographer boyfriend. She called her financial adviser to get reports and make informed decisions about her future. I was absolutely flabbergasted!!! Most models I knew didn’t care too much about their finances and innocently handed matters of such kind to more or less honest “advisors” that often included freeloading boyfriends.

With that one move, Cindy made me sense that the balance of power had shifted and a new kind of model had arrived, the real pro who’s in charge of her career: the supermodel! Cindy was also the first young model I knew to actually have a philosophy about her work and a deep understanding of the fashion business and it’s requirements. Christy Turlington and Gisele are very similar in their professional approach.

In the years following the shoot in St Barths, we worked together on numerous occasions. When I became part of the Chanel makeup team for the shows in Paris, I remember Cindy always looking for me to do her makeup because I was a familiar face in the hurricane of high stress and panic that best describes the backstage vibe. At one point not so long ago we were neighbors in Greenwich Village and we would run into each other and chit chat at the local Italian restaurant while we waited for our takeout orders. Just last year, we worked together on a cover and fashion story for Vogue Mexico – 25 years after that first wonderful series! Amazing!

So when Cindy and her team at Meaningful Beauty approached me for a collaboration during NY fashion week, I jumped for joy! This is a girl who created her own path not with beauty alone but with integrity, intelligence and graciousness. I have no doubt she has created the best line of products she could, because that’s how she does things. I’m about to dive into the world of Meaningful Beauty and discover some new, fun goodies I can use! Stay Tuned…

http://fashionfortheface.com/?p=1877

W June 2000: Cindy Crawford by Michael Thompson (UHQ's)

Rough & Ready

Photographer: Michael Thompson

Fashion Editor: Joe Zee

Hair: Serge Normant

Make-Up: Scott Andrew

Manicure: Sheril Bailey

Prop Stylist: Gerard Santos

OK, please tell me that the picture top row, second from left is not Cindy in a body suit and mask! That would just be too freaky. ;)