Bellazon

Photoshop Tutorials

PC asked how I did the effect used in my signature, where it's made black & white except for one colour. I figured I should answer it here since I've been asked before. It's really pretty easy, and all thanks to the magic of Adjustment Layers. For this to work best, the area you want to target should be a pretty distinct colour in the image.

eg. Take this GIF:

marloes_vs_dance_orig.gif

The purple stands out from the skin tones, and the background is all white so it's going to work well. If the bra was more pink/red it would be harder to do.

1. Create a Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer on top of all the other layers

gif_saturation01.jpg

2. This next bit will vary depending on the image, but basically you want to go through each colour channel in the Master drop-down list and drag the Saturation slider all the way to the left. For this image, I pretty much only needed to adjust the "Red" channel, but I went through and desaturated them all except for the "Magenta" channel (where the purple colour is).

gif_saturation02.jpg

3. I can also then target the "Magenta" channel and recolour it if I want by changing the Hue slider.

gif_saturation03.jpg

marloes_vs_dance_purple.gifmarloes_vs_dance_green.gifmarloes_vs_dance_red.gif

That's pretty much it, but you can do a bunch of other things with the Hue/Saturation adjustment layers, and also the other adjustment layers - just have a play and see what you can do :)

Remember the adjustment layers also have a mask of their own, so you can mask out certain areas if you don't want to apply them to the entire image.

This was a past sig I did that made use of the Levels adjustment layer:

Before:

cat_sin_city_before.gif

After:

cat_sin_city_after.gif

I just gave it a try and have a question :laugh:

I did that effect on that gif

post-42076-0-1446055956-8673_thumb.gif

red color is all over the gif cuz of lighting and after dragging Saturation slider on the left for every color except red I got it

post-42076-0-1446055956-8883_thumb.gif

honestly I love the result, but a question popped up in my mind :p what if I want red color to be only on Gisele and the runway, not on the audience ? :blush:

^Yeah see that's kinda tricky - as I said it works best when you're trying to isolate a distinct colour in the image. It's hard when it's all over the background as well.

That said, for this GIF you can can sort of work around it seeing how the audience is somewhat confined to the corner. Add a second Hue/Saturation adjustment layer on top of the first one, and desaturate everything (Master channel). Then in the layer mask of this second adjustment layer, black out the area that Gisele walks across - you can do it with gradient tools and/or a soft brush. It's not going to be perfect seeing how it's a moving target.. but it's not bad!

post-19363-0-1446055957-23303_thumb.jpg

post-19363-0-1446055957-26318_thumb.gif

^That was most likely done in InDesign rather than Photoshop.. there's only so much you can do with typography in PS.

You can still put text in a shape, but when it comes to extra fidelity, columns, margins/padding, etc you won't have as much control - it's not really what the program is for.

But to answer the question, it's as simple as drawing a vector shape with the Pen tool, then click inside it with the Type tool selected. You should see the cursor change from a square to a circle when your mouse is inside the shape before you click.

text_shape1.png

text_shape2.png