Bellazon

Photoshop Tutorials

I'm not sure I fully understand the problem here..

If you're just trying to drag the "Background" layer on top of the other though, you need to convert it to a regular layer first. Background layers are special, in that they're always locked to the bottom of the document. Either:

- Double click the layer, then just hit "OK" on the "New Layer" popup that comes up, or

- Select the layer, then go to Layer > New > Layer from Background...

Then you can move it.

Does that help? :idk:

It seems from your screenshot that the layer with the pink effect on it also has a white background, which is why it covers the GIF when you put it on top. You need the pink texture on a layer with a transparent background so everything underneath shows through.

Try setting the blending mode of the layer to "Multiply" after you move it to the top - is that better?

layers_multiply.png

• 3 weeks later...

I was asked how to do the thin line texture on this signature:

post-42076-0-1446055951-12636_thumb.jpg

I thought I'd explain it here so other people could perhaps get something out of it too.

It's pretty easy to do by using Photoshop patterns.

First you need to decide how thick you want each line, and also how far they are spaced apart.

The one above looks like a 1 pixel thick line with 2 pixels inbetween.

So to recreate that:

- Create a new document with transparent background, 1 pixel wide and 3 pixels high

- Fill in one of the pixels of the document white (or whatever you want the colour of the lines to be). The document will be tiny, so zoom right in

- It should look something like this:

post-42076-0-1446055951-1404_thumb.png

- Select the whole document (Ctrl-A)

- Go to Edit > Define Pattern...

- You can give it a name if you want, then click OK

post-42076-0-1446055951-17334_thumb.jpg

Now you can apply this line pattern to any other document, since you have it saved.

- Open the image you want to put it onto

- Create a new layer

- Go to Edit > Fill...

- In the "Use" drop-down list, select Pattern

- Select your saved pattern from the list below that

post-42076-0-1446055951-18451_thumb.jpg

Then there it is - the line pattern over the top of your image. Since you put them on their own layer, you can then lower the opacity down and/or change the blending mode (Overlay gives a pretty cool effect for white lines).

post-42076-0-1446055951-25013_thumb.jpg

You can experiment with different line thicknesses and gaps in the pattern for different effects

post-42076-0-1446055951-27195_thumb.jpg using post-42076-0-1446055951-30782_thumb.png

If you want to use angled lines like in the first image, still use the same method described above to define the pattern. Then you create a new document that's larger than your image, and fill the pattern in a layer on that document. Then you can duplicate the layer from there into your image, then Ctrl+T to transform/rotate the lines. You need the lines layer to be larger than your image size, otherwise they won't extend all the way to the edge once you rotate it.

You can also create a 45 degree line pattern like this:

post-42076-0-1446055951-33737_thumb.png

Any other angles can be difficult to get to tile correctly, so it's just easier to make horizontal lines then rotate it later.

freferf.jpg rgertetg.jpg

^Two things:

1. File > New... creates a new document, not a new layer. Instead either go Layer > New > Layer... or (easier) just click the "New Layer" button on the Layers palette:

ps_new_layer.png

You don't need to specify a size when you create a new layer, and yes you should be on this new layer when you fill with your pattern.

2. You didn't create your line pattern with any transparency, so when you fill a layer with your pattern it will completely obscure the image underneath with grey & white stripes, unless you change the blending mode of the layer. See on the screenshots of my patterns how there's the checkered pattern in the background? Those bits are transparent, and the layers beneath will show through in these areas when I fill it. Does that make sense?

Not as much as a 'Photoshop' question, but this is the most related thread:

A friend asked me to help him out with a school-project by coloring, inserting and moving some pictures, etc. Basically all what I do with Photoshop.

The problem is; I know how to do so with gifs, but it is possible for an entire movie? (About four minutes)

Is there a program that works similar to Photoshop but enables editing full movies?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! This isn't a gif related but photoshop standard image related question, I had a psd from a graphic someone I know made, but I dont understand how he did something:

http://www.hollidaygraingerfan.com/gallery/

Sadly I dont have the psd anymore.. But let me try to explain

The header on top, has those gif images, I remember there was a layer with a black spot for the images, and he changed the images to get them all with the same effect and they instantly got the same effect, I honestly have no idea what the name of it is LOL Nor how to do it xD

If anyone would like to help me and doesnt understand what Im saying, dont be affraid to ask for more details or giving me some examples of photoshop layers so I can tell you how it looked there :)

Glad you found out! :wave: ^^

Another thing:

I made an animation for a school-project about a week ago.

Ever since, PS doesn't simply apply -say- a png to all the layers in a gif at once, but I now I have to select all the frames first, and click on the 'eye' to make it visible.

It there a way to make it apply to all the frames at once again?

• 2 weeks later...

^^ It's a .jpg but I'm guessing you ment to post a gif?

Since Adriana is moving I think it will be impossible to simply stretch the background and not show mixed backgrounds.

If I were you I would group the frames and add a layer mask so you can blend it to the main background as much as possible.

• 3 weeks later...