Bellazon

Photoshop Tutorials

^Well drawing lines like that is pretty simple. A few ways to do it, but the best and easiest way is to just use the line tool in the tools palette - it might be behind the Rectangle/Ellipse/other shape tool.

post-19363-0-1446055958-08749_thumb.jpg

Then in the tool options:

post-19363-0-1446055958-09827_thumb.jpgpost-19363-0-1446055958-12353_thumb.jpg

1. Make sure this is set to Shape. That way it stays a vector shape that you can easily manipulate after you draw it.

2. Set the fill colour to whatever you want. You can change this after you've drawn the line.

3. Change the stroke to No Colour. You can also change this after you've drawn the line. If you set this, it will apply an additional stroke outline to your line. The weight and line options just to the right of this will apply to the stroke, not the line itself - so leave these alone.

4. You can set arrow heads here if you want.

5. This is where you set the thickness of the line. You can't change this after you've drawn the line, so set it before doing so. eg. The lines in your example are about 8px and 3px.

6. It's a good idea to tick the Align Edges option on, but even more important is to go to Edit > Preferences > General..., then make sure the Shape Vector Tools and Transforms to Pixel Grid is selected. This ensures that the edges of the lines are crisp rather than blurry.

post-19363-0-1446055958-15004_thumb.jpg

Then it's just a matter of clicking and dragging on the canvas to draw a line.

If you hold down Shift as you draw, the line will snap to 45 degree angles - so you can easily draw perfectly straight lines.

• 1 month later...

I dare say you'd have to do that frame by frame. Funnily enough I was playing with that 3d sort of effect recently.. this explains it pretty well: http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-effects/3d/ :)

In terms of then applying it to the GIF, it's just a matter of repeating the process on selected frames, in different directions, masked to different areas, etc to get that 'random' sort of effect.

• 1 month later...

Alright, before you start doing anything, you need a gif of falling snow. Just googling 'falling snow gif' should do the trick. For this tutorial, I will be using this gif; however, you can choose a different gif if that's your preference. Snow gifs come in all shapes in sizes. I just like this one because: 1) the blank background makes it easy to work with, 2) it's a pretty big gif, and 3) it looks realistic, but if you want to use more of animated looking snow gif, be my guest.

Still Image

1. Like I said above: find your falling snow gif and open it up on Photoshop. Also, make sure that you're in the 'Motion' workspace on Photoshop or your gif won't work. To change your workspace go to Window > Workspace > Motion. I'm using CS5 in this tutorial, and I think some older versions of PS have the Motion workspace listed as Motion/Animation. They should all work the same way.

2. Pick you still image that the falling snow will go over and open it up on Photoshop. For this example, I will use this image.

3. This is the time for you to make any wanted changes to your still image, i.e. cropping and coloring. After I am done editing my still image, it looks like this:

tut2.jpg

I opted to keep my image to a 250 x 250 pixel square for the sake of the tutorial but your image can be whatever size you want. If your image is larger than your snow gif, don't worry because it is a transparent gif so expanded it probably won't pixelate it too much. Just as with anything, try not to make your image too big because then it's just difficult to work with.

4. Ok, now comes the fun part when you put the snowy effect over the picture. Like I said above, make sure you are in the Motion workspace. Now, make sure you have the animation window open. It should look like this:

tut3.jpg

If you're not sure if you have it open go to Window > Animation. If there is a check mark next to it, it is open. If there is no check mark, it is not open so click it to open it. Also, make sure you are in the Frame Animation workspace and not the Timeline Animation workspace. The Frame Animation workspace looks like mine above. If yours does look like that, you're probably in Timeline. To change this, find this button on the top right hand side of your animation space:

tut4.jpg

Click on that button, find where it say 'Convert to Frame Animation' and click on that.

5. Ok so that was really long and I'm gonna leave that to be a step in itself. Now, to do the snowy effect, first figure out how many frames are in your original snow gif. You can do that just by counting the number of frames in the animation workspace or layers of the gif. For example, my gif has 5 frames/5 layers:

tut5.jpg

tut6.jpg

The number of frames on your snow gif MUST match the number of frames on your still image. This probably where a lot of you are going 'HUH?'. Ok, so go to your still image, make sure the animation timeline is open for your still image, and you should only see one frame. For example:

tut7.jpg

But, Jude, you said I needed 5 frames? Click on your single frame and make sure it is highlighted in blue. Now, find the button I have circle in red and click on it until you have the number of frames that your snow gif has. In my example, I need 5 frames.

tut8.jpg

If you click to play the animation, you will notice it's just the single unmoving image. Good job! It's supposed to be like that.

6. Go back to you snow gif. Find the top right hand animation button and click it, then find where it says 'Select All Frames' and click that:

tut9.jpg

Your snow frames should now be highlighted in blue. If they are not, hit 'Select All Frames' again. Once they are all highlighted, go back the the top right hand button and click it again, then find where it says 'Copy Frames' and click that:

tut10.jpg

7. Go to your still image and repeat the 'Select All Frames' step so that all these frames are now highlighted. Go back to your best friend top right hand button and find 'Paste Frames...' click it:

tut11.jpg

A small window will pop up with different paste options. MAKE SURE YOU CLICK 'PASTE OVER SELECTION' AND 'LINK ADDED LAYERS' like mine:

tut12.jpg

THIS STEP IS VERY IMPORTANT AND IS ACTUALLY THE LAST STEP! DON'T MESS IT UP!

8. TA-DA! You're basically finished/nearly finished. You're probably going to have to select all your frames again and change the timing delay to between 0.1-0.2 seconds (those are typically the settings I use, but it's totally up to you) and change the repetition to forever, but those are easy fixes:

tut13.jpg

VOILA!

tutfinal.gif

*Note: Once I finished, I realized that make original snow gif wasn't actually that great but I just didn't feel like going back and changing my whole tutorial. I will probably change the gif for my next tutorial. Also, you will notice the snow is most visible over the darker her areas on her face. Adding a snow effect works best on darker images/gifs because the snow itself is white and will stand out most clearly over a dark background.

Enjoy and feel free to ask any still unanswered questions!

^ You have to save it to your computer and then open it on Photoshop. I typically just copy images off the internet and the paste them into PS, but this doesn't work with gifs as you will only copy the frame that you selected 'Copy Image' for. Maybe that's the problem?

I saved the one from your link.

my PS CS6 trial expired few days ago and got CS3 portable just in case, which I use till I get new one, even CS5, so there wasn't motion workspace and I clicked Video & Film one, I thought it's the same as Motion :idk: but anyways I should have seen gif's frames in animation bar, cuz it's always like that when I open the gif :idk:

Snow over Gif

1. Find your falling snow gif and open it up on Photoshop. I will be using this gif in this tutorial. Also, make sure that you're in the 'Motion' workspace on Photoshop or your gif won't work. To change your workspace go to Window > Workspace > Motion. I'm using CS5 in this tutorial, and I think some older versions of PS have the Motion workspace listed as Motion/Animation. They should all work the same way.

2. Make the gif that the falling snow will go over in PS. If you don't know how to make gifs, simply googling 'how to make a gif in photoshop' should get more than enough results or here's a Photoshop Action I created that basically makes the gif for you and also helps you save LOTS of time in the process. For this example, I will use this gif. Note: this is my gif post-resizing; the original image size was waaaaaay too big to post here. (I was making gifs for my Originals tumblr blog yesterday and still had the screencaps saved on my computer so this is just a gif of convenience. Also, look at how cute he is; don't you just wanna touch his face? :blush:)

3. This is the time for you to make any wanted changes to your still image, i.e. cropping and coloring. After I am done editing my still image, it looks like this:

post-36965-0-1446055962-19609_thumb.png

omg he's still so cute

My gif is 500px wide (largest width for tumblr gifs). Luckily, my snow gif is also 500px wide but both gifs have different height dimensions. I cropped both to 250px height so that it is 1) easier for me to copy and paste later on the tutorial and 2) large enough for me to get my point across in the tutorial, but 500 x 250 px gifs are pretty big, so I doubt that you'll be making ones that big unless you want gifs 8 frames long. But, long story short, having your snow gif and gif gif at the same dimensions makes your life a whole lot easier down the road.

4. Ok, now comes the fun part when you put the snowy effect over the picture. Like I said above, make sure you are in the Motion workspace. Now, make sure you have the animation window open. It should look like this:

tut3.jpg

If you're not sure if you have it open go to Window > Animation. If there is a check mark next to it, it is open. If there is no check mark, it is not open so click it to open it. Also, make sure you are in the Frame Animation workspace and not the Timeline Animation workspace. The Frame Animation workspace looks like mine above. If yours does look like that, you're probably in Timeline. To change this, find this button on the top right hand side of your animation space:

tut4.jpg

Click on that button, find where it say 'Convert to Frame Animation' and click on that.

5. Ok so that was really long and I'm gonna leave that to be a step in itself. Now, to do the snowy effect, first figure out how many frames are in your original snow gif. You can do that just by counting the number of frames in the animation workspace or layers of the gif. For example, my gif has 19 frames/19 layers:

tut4.jpg

tut5.jpg

Now this is where it starts to get complicated. Like before, you want your snow gif and you gif gif to have the same number of frames. However, you now have more than one frame to work with. In fact, my gif gif has 27 frames:

tut6.jpg

But, I don't want to delete 8 frames so that both my gifs have the same frame count. You might have to get a bit inventive here to get your frame counts to match. What I did in this example is I deleted one frame from my gif gif so that it has 26 frames and then I deleted 6 frames from my snow gif so that it has 13 frames and then copied those 13 frames for a total of 26 frames. To do this, go back to the top right hand animation button, click it and then click on where it says 'Select All Frames'.

tut9.jpg

Now all your frames should be highlighted blue. Click on the button I circled in red and this double all your selected frames.

tut8.jpg

Voila! Matching frame count!

6. Still on your snow gif, click 'Select All Frames' again. Your snow frames should now be highlighted in blue. If they are not, hit 'Select All Frames' again. Once they are all highlighted, go back the the top right hand button and click it again, then find where it says 'Copy Frames' and click that:

tut10.jpg

7. Go to your still image and repeat the 'Select All Frames' step so that all these frames are now highlighted. Go back to your best friend top right hand button and find 'Paste Frames...' click it:

tut11.jpg

A small window will pop up with different paste options. MAKE SURE YOU CLICK 'PASTE OVER SELECTION' AND 'LINK ADDED LAYERS' like mine:

tut9.jpg

8. If you are using the same snow gif as me (which I highly recommend because it actually a great gif) you will notice at this point you can't see your gif gif underneath! Uh-oh! This is because this snow gif is not transparent, but, thankfully it has a sold background, so we can easily work around this dilemma. We are going to create a group out of our snow gif layers. Go to your layers window; mine if typically a bar on the side of my screen. If your layers window isn't open, go to Window > Layers to open it. Now select all of your snow gif layers by clicking and higlighting the very first snow gif layer and then clicking on the last snow gif layer while holding down the 'Shift' button. Now, you will hopefully notice that the first snow gif layer, the last snow gif layer, and all the layer in between are highlighted, like so:

tut10.jpg

Now go to Layer > Group Layers or simply hit 'Ctrl + G' and now all of your snow gif layers have been consolidated into a single folder in your layers bar. I titled mine 'Snow gif' just for the sake of the tutorial.

tut11.jpg

Now, make sure that the folder (not all the layers within the folder, just the folder itself, like in the image above) and all of your frames in the animation bar are highlighted blue. Find the blending mode selector at the top of your layers bar. It should be set to 'Pass Through' for the snow gif folder.

tut12.jpg

Change this to 'Screen.' In this tutorial I am changing it to Screen, because I find that option to work the best, however, experiment with the blending option. 'Lighten' also works well, I just preferred Screen.

tut13.jpg

9. Almost there! At this point, you may just have to change your time delay and repetition settings, but those are quick fixes.

tut14.jpg

VOILA!

post-36965-0-1446055962-87807_thumb.png

omg look he's still so cute and now it's snowing i'm gonna explode

If you really want to get inventive, you could add like a santa hat or whatever, just remember that the more tinkering you do and more layers you add, it's likely the image size will also increase. Most image hosters have an upload limit and on tumblr the gif upload limit is 1 MB, so, in the case of my gif, I had to make it black and white and tinker around with it a bit more in order to get it below 1 MB so I could post it on tumblr.

post-36965-0-1446055965-28941_thumb.png

damn son look at that santa hat come down my shimney and bring me presents any time honey

Enjoy, happy holidays, and feel free to ask any still unanswered questions!

I saved the one from your link.

my PS CS6 trial expired few days ago and got CS3 portable just in case, which I use till I get new one, even CS5, so there weren't motion workspace and I clicked Video & Film one, I thought it's the same as Motion I%20dont%20know.gif but anyways I should have seen gif's frames in animation bar, cuz it's always like that when I open the gif I%20dont%20know.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't been in here for a while - nice job on the snow tutorial Jude :hehe:

An additional tip though - you should try searching for videos rather than GIFs first, since you'll generally get much nicer and smoother effects to add to your animation.

eg. Here's a snow one:

I've done it before with a film grain effect - works great :)

ehm... me again :nicole:

anyone knows how to make this text effect ? :cain:

abcAWFVF.jpg

oh and Merry Christmas, everyone! :hehe: