Bellazon

Miranda Kerr
Thumbnail

katgirl

THE TALE OF MIRANDA KERR

mirandafeature.jpg

Photography: Julie Adams, Styling: Elana Hocking Makeup: Noni Smith, Hair: Sophie Roberts

It’s hard to imagine what life as Miranda Kerr is really like. From afar, it looks like it’s all glamour and gloss. She was, after all, the first Australian to become a Victoria's Secret Angel and is dating Evan Spiegel, the billionaire founder of Snapchat. Kerr is also the founder of KORA Organics, an organic skin care and organic body care line and has just launched a new range of glassware with Royal Albert... 

On this particular day, the 33-year-old supermodel and entrepreneur is in Sydney. Her adorable five-year-old son Flynn was up at 4am (he’s on London time). She’s just arrived from Asia, where she’s spent the last 10 days working back-to-back. The days were long, sometimes up to 17 hours a day. Kerr slept for three hours each night. Today, she is spending the morning shooting for The Grace Tales and the afternoon is filled with other commitments. Her mother Therese is here along with her childhood best friend who she says she’s known since she was Flynn’s age. “Well you can kind of see what’s going on now. There’s a lot of multi-tasking,” she says when I ask what it’s like to be Miranda Kerr. No wonder then that she plans things up to a year in advance with her ex-husband Orlando Bloom.

The supermodel has just been announced as an Ambassador for The Royal Hospital for Women Foundation. Kerr herself was born prematurely by six weeks and it’s a topic she’s passionate about. “My mum told me how traumatic it was and how important it was to have the hospital’s care and it’s great that The Royal Hospital for Women have the facilities and capabilities to help so many young babies that are born either premature or with life-threatening illnesses. To create awareness for that was something I felt was important. Being a mother myself, I know that having a healthy child is the most important thing.”

In person, Kerr is just as beautiful as she looks in all the pictures you see. The whole room is captivated by her. She’s extraordinarily striking, so it’s hard not to stare. She’s also warm, kind and funny and her son Flynn clearly adores her (mid-shoot he runs up with a flower he’s picked for her from the garden). Despite the mass of people around her, Kerr is calm and relaxed, something she credits to meditating daily. We sat down with her to find out more about what life is like when you’re Miss Kerr…

01_TGT_381-1-copy.jpg 01_TGT_372-1-copy.jpg

On what it’s like to be Miranda Kerr…

I do enjoy the challenge of work and multi-tasking. It’s nice to be able to be here right now and have my family around. Today, we’re having a lunch as part of a shoot this afternoon and some of my friends are coming, so that’s nice. There is a lot going on. I have just finished a trip in Asia, where I was working back-to-back for 10 days, up to 16-17 hours a day. We had three hours sleep a night. Flynn has been with his Dad.

On her approach to health and nutrition…

I always talk about being healthy 80% of the time and indulgent the other 20%. I don’t feel it’s healthy for me to be too strict with myself, especially with all the travel. I feel I need to be kind to myself. For instance, I just had a piece of vegemite toast. If I didn’t take care of myself, I couldn’t do what I do to the extent that I do. Food is fuel and what you put into your body really helps support your whole system energetically. It’s the same with your mind. Our mind, body and spirit is all interconnected. Also the thoughts we put into our body really affect us. That’s why I really enjoy meditation, especially when I’m busy.

On her meditation...

I’ve been doing yoga and meditation since I was about 15-years-old. It’s something that’s now a part of my life. I’ll generally sit in hair and makeup and use that time to mediate and to regroup. There are so many studies done on the benefits of meditation and how even if you can give yourself 20 minutes, it is the equivalent to five hours of sleep.

01_TGT_414-1-copy.jpg

On her time management tips…

Flynn was up at 4am this morning. He came from London. For me, what I’ve found to be really effective is planning and just prioritising time. So for instance, I know that the last 10 days have been intense and I have a couple more days to go, but after that I’ll have some time off and I can spend one-on-one with Flynn and have those special moments with him. I don’t have a 9-5 job. I’m lucky in the way that when I do have to work very intensely, I’ll book it during the time that he’s going to be with Orlando. Then I know that he’s having fun and it’s really valuable for him to have that time with his Dad. During this time, I really try and focus on my work. Today is a special exception where the two are mixed.

On the juggle…

Time is so important and everything needs to be planned from my different contracts to my business, even time with Flynn. I’ll get Orlando’s schedule and link it up with my schedule and then we work everything out. Flynn is both of our priorities. He comes first. We’ll book the jobs around when he’s going to be with his Dad. We plan pretty much a year in advance and then we’ll do weekly plans. Some things move and you have to be flexible, but it’s good to have that general plan as then time doesn’t get away from you.

02_TGT_048-copy.jpg  02_TGT_063-1-copy.jpg  02_TGT_040-copy.jpg

On motherhood…

It’s so rewarding. Just seeing life through Flynn’s eyes. Seeing the wonder and the joy he experiences. He’s so inquisitive. The conversations he has with me are so heart-warming.

On her new Royal Albert range…

It’s based on my love of butterflies and the garden. To me it feels subtle, elegant and timeless.

On memories of her Grandmother growing up…

My Grandmother had this cabinet when I was growing up filled with Royal Albert and Royal Doulton tea sets. They were her prized possessions. My Grandma is someone who has the most generous spirit. Everyone is always welcome. She would just put the kettle on and we’d sit down and have a cup of tea and a piece of cake. It was really nice to grow up with that. I felt like this collection would be so special to her. I remember having the same fascination with teacups that she has. Now, I also feel like taking the time to sit down and have a tea, it’s a moment to unwind and decompress. It’s the same as when you see your friends and have a wine or champagne. It’s a moment to enjoy.

On success…

Success is a funny thing because I feel like being successful is kind of just doing the best you can do. Being kind to yourself and others. It’s not necessarily about what you have or haven’t done, it’s more about the way you feel. If you feel you are doing things, which are true to your heart and you are passionate about, then that’s successful. As long as you’re following your journey and not doing something because you think that you should, then that’s successful. Follow the beat of your own drum.

On her beauty essentials…

Right now, I love the Kora Age-Defying AHA Facial Exfoliator. I apply that every night. Then theAge-Defying Phytox Oil, which is full of antioxidants and nutrients. I really believe that healthy skin is beautiful skin. What you put on your skin soaks in, so I like to give my skin the best possibly opportunity to be healthy by filling it with nutrient-rich products that really feed the skin. You should feed your skin from the inside and outside.

On her fashion essentials…

I’ve worn so many different types of clothes for my job. Fashion is a really great way to express a part of your character and how you’re feeling. You can really have fun with it…or not, depending on how you feel. When you strip it back to the essentials, I just like to be barefoot in a robe. I like a nice satin robe. I like to be free. I also just love sweatpants and a T-shirt..

Source: thegracetales.com