Hyoni Kang
Thumbnail

Hime

post-31786-0-1446081633-31198_thumb.jpg

post-31786-0-1446081633-33134_thumb.jpg

who: Hyoni Kang

what: Model

where: Nolita, New York City

Growing up in South Korea, a country not exactly known for breeding giants, there was always one thing that set Hyoni Kang apart. "I was very, very high--I mean tall!" laughs the five-foot-ten recent New York transplant, correcting her still heavily-accented English (she's teaching herself the language by watching American movies like Sex and the City). It's been a whirlwind year for the nineteen-year-old who won the Ford Supermodel of the World contest back in January--the first Asian in to do so in history. "When I called my mom to tell her," she recalls, "she said, 'What? I don't believe it!'" Perhaps Hyoni's rock-solid debut on the catwalks of Marc by Marc Jacobs, 3.1 Phillip Lim, and Jason Wu helped the news settle in for mom. As for Hyoni, she's quickly getting acquainted with her new home away from home. "I walk or take the subway everywhere," she says, citing her favorite discoveries as Koreatown for family-style cooking and Nolita for cool shops. So where to next? "My dream would be a Teen Vogue cover. I want to become a supermodel!" she enthuses with pitch-perfect delivery. Clearly, that's one word she needs no help pronouncing. --J.K.

teenvogue

• 4 weeks later...