Bellazon

Daria Werbowy
Thumbnail

goose

Annabelle CH no. 14, Aug 08

"Begegnung mit Daria Werbowy" (Meet Daria Werbowy)

ph. by Derek Kettela

My scans ...

post-774-1218629744_thumb.jpg

Made a short translation ... :whistle: :

Annabelle August 2008, Interview with Daria Werbowy

Daria Werbowy is one of the most successful models of the world. But not only that. She prefers her sailing boat to the catwalk and likes more to think about economics than fashion.

(I don't translate the start, the authors rambling about the weather in NY and that Daria surely would like to be outside on her boat)

The other day in Munich Daria was asked if she is generally a happy girl. At first she didn't know how to answer. „What an insolent question“, she complains, „who claims for himself to be happy is lying. But people assume, because a model is beautiful and rich she can't have any sorrows. That's absolutely nonsense. I'm not more or less happy than any other person.“ Short break. „Except for when I'm on my boat sailing. Then the world's completely alright for me“.

(Then the interviewer rambles about how beautiful she is �" but we all know that ;-))

Annabelle: Daria Werbowy, are you happy?

Daria: Haha. Please don't come up with those complicated questions this early in the interview. Let's talk a bit at first. But as I'm thinking of it now: what does it mean anyway, being happy? Why is it that everybody aspires to be happy these days? A silly, unachievable goal. Isn't it brilliant enough not to be unhappy the whole time?

A: Would be enough for me.

D: And every few years a real genuine feeling of being happy, just a few minutes - noone would hold anything against that.

A: When you've just fallen in love this feeling can last for one, two weeks even.

D: Rather for one, two days. We want to keep being realistic.

(Now he's rembling about how smart she is �" but we know this too ;-))

A: Wer you looking forward to go to work this morning?

D: I'm a pro, I'm going to work whether I want to or not.

A: But it's not generally your job to give interviews on the set.

D: Today it's all about Lancome. We formed a new cosmetic line together that shall be licensed for the Swiss too.

A: Please tell us something exciting about your cosmetic line.

D: My boyfriend Vik Muniz is an artist in Rio de Janeiro and has got a project called „centro especial Vik Muniz“. He's teaching arts to the kids of the Fevelas. This might sound strange but with his lessons he's saving many of the kids' lives because he's showing them a completely different point of view.

A: Lovely. But how's that related to the cosmetic line?

D: The colors I choose are inspired by Brazil and the works of the kids, brwon, green, blue �" I formed the palette together with Odile Roujol, the president of Lancome. She was very enthusiastic when she found out I've been involved in a project I love. It was fun to get to know how the cosmetic business works.

A: How do the kids profit from it?

D: A part of the profit will be donated to the project.

(Then he tells us about her childhood and moving to Canada and how her career started and stuff)

She doesn't understand how this (her career) could happen to her, but she's glad for every day she's working as a model, „because I know many girls dream about it but there might never be a lucky coincindence to help them as it had been for me.“ She wants to keep her job for a while more although euphoria decreases and photo shootings are boring more often.

A: What did you learn during the last 10 years?

D: I met many people who showed me what I don't want to become �" and a few people who really inspired me. You need knowledge of the human nature for my job. I learned one or two things about the fashion industry and beyond. The most important realisation: Everywhere around the world �" and I've been in quite a lot countries �" the TV programme is bad. I state, the world would be a nice place if there weren't any TV.

A: What did you NOT learn during this time?

D: Far too much. We don't want to start the listing here. The biggest problem in my job: I'm seldomely able to stay longer than three days at the same place. If I start something, I can't finish it. My studies for example. Or the pictures I paint.

(Then he's rambling that she will have enough money and time once retiring and blah)

On the other side of the Hudson River in New Jersey there's a little harbour where her father's fixing the family boat. The trip will start in summer: Father, daughter, brother and three friends want to cross the Atlantic ocean. „I'm so looking forward to this trip“, says Daria. „I am a bit afraid of the open sea. But when I get over it, I'll experience pure happiness.“

END

Thank you for the translation, CarMELita! :wave:

BTW, I think in the original article, "Mein Freund Vik Muniz" means "my friend", not necessarily meaning "my boyfriend". You're giving Miss Q a heart attack! :laugh:

No, not neccessarily, but I felt that if she meant it's not her BF but just a friend she would emphasize on the fact that it's a "good friend of her" or "her best friend" or "an old friend" or something like that. Just calling her "his friend" it felt to me like she meant him to be her BF. But of course you're right, it just means "my friend".