Bellazon

Julia Stegner
Thumbnail

goose

Julia @ Johannes B. Kerner (German talkshow)

A quick translation (not everything and not word by word and with many mistakes - haha):

A young German who is travelling the world and who calles herself a bumchuck. How does it feel to be a 'bumchuck' but to live in NYC at the same time? For quite a while now actually

Well, you're getting used to it. It took my two years to finally make the step and move to NYC. I'm trying to have a run in the country once in a while to get that sense of home.

Also, I'm coming here (Germany) as often as possible. I miss my home a lot.

In the very beginning of my career I worked a lot in NYC, but I was so homesick that I came home at every possible moment - even if just for a day or two.

I'm living there for four years now.

So,did you Germanize your boyfriend a little already?

No I didn't, unfortunately.

Like, did you 'wholemeal bread-ize' him?

Together with a German friend of mine, Luca, we prepared German dinner and tried to explain it to him. We bought some bread, cold cuts...

Cheese, small cucumbers, tomatoes...

Exactly. And he was like: 'Huh? Sandwiches? What should I do with it?' Because the Americans eat sandwiches more like in between and not for dinner as we do it.

But it's so delicious... some wholemeal bread in the evening...

It's the best! It's one of the things I miss the most. One of the first things my mum asks me when I'm back in Germany is 'What kind of sausage do you want? Pork and veal sausage, liverwurst...'

But it seems you're not eating it

Of course I'm eating it. I have a bread with liverwurst with me right now actually. My mum made it for me this morning.

[everybody is laughing]

Is it really true?

Yes. I got up quite early today and she made it in case I was getting hungry later.

Just like back in school.

It's great!

That's the good thing about coming home. Everyone's taking care of me, my mum, my dad, they're driving me everywhere I want/have to go... It's really nice.

Coming back to your homesickness: do you have any tipps or advices how to deal with it?

No, not really. I know that one day I want to come back. Maybe Munich, Berlin is nice, too.

Homesickness is really a bad thing. I'm on the phone a lot - my phone bill is incredibly high.

The bad thing for me is that I have two homes i'm always leaving behind. It's very hard for me to say good bye and when I'm leaving Germany I feel very bad but also when I'm leaving NYC, because then I have to say goodbye to my boyfriend.

Julia, how long have you two been living together now?

We're living together for two years now.

Is he your best male and female friend in one person or do you still need your girls with you, e.g. when going out?

I think girls always need other girls with them... for talking etc.

But of course my boyfriend is my best friend, too. I can talk to him about almost everything, but there are certain things that you just need girls for.

(Then there is a small conversation about GNTM and Lena Gercke, Julia is asked to say something about the show and Lena)

It's difficult for me to judge somebody else. Modelling and beauty always has something to do with personal taste.

Sure there are people who look at me and don't understand why I'm a model. Also my parents, they learned a lot about this business, sometimes look at other successfull girls and don't understand why they have become models with their 'strange' looks. It's all a matter of taste.

(Thats why she can't say anything about GNTM)

The question is if it's really possible to have a great career with the help of a casting show.

So it's more like a good and fun to watch entertainment show rather than a true search for a topmodel

Yes, that's how I see it. I haven't met any of them yet. It's a show and doesn't have much in common with reality. Also it always seems as if we (the models) don't have any freedom of decision. I do have an opinion. I'd like to give you one example of ANTM: The girls had to lie in coffins and the whole thing was put into a grave. And one girl didn't want to do it because someone dear to hear had just passed away and immediately she was told that if she didn't do it she had to leave.

It's all a little over the top. If I don't want to do anything I'm just not doing it.

Well, you can say that because you are a top model already

Well, in the end it's entertainment TV and it's nice to watch. I like to watch it, too.

Julia, what must a top model of the year 2009 have?

It's difficult to say. It's not only 'beauty' but also personality. You need to have a certain charisma. Good looks but no personality won't do you any good. In the end you want the customers to work with you again and usually people like to work with you again when you did a good job and when they sympathized with you.

And concerning the current trend... I don't know, it's hard to tell.

When I prepared for this interview I found a sentence that you once said. You said that you're a 'well-built', substantial model, maybe even a little heavy...

...compared (!) to others current working models. It's quite sad. When I started modeling most of the models had the body type I have, which is already quite thin.

But at the moment the girls on the runways are like half of me. Extremely thin. But I have to say that most of them are 14/15 y.o. It's extreme. Sad but true.

Could you do me the favour and show everyone how 'substantial' you are?

-stands up-

Yes, you're really substantial [ironically said and both are laughing]

And now imagine Julia, since she's standing here, with 12 kilos less. Because that's how it was after a emergency surgery

Can I sit down again?

Yes, of course. You lost 12 kg after a surgery in Costa Rica. What happened?

I was vacationing there (surfing) and all of a sudden I felt a huge pain. We were in the middle of nowhere, no streets, only dirt roads. I had serious stomach aches and everyone thought I had eaten something bad.

And once I couldn't move anymore I was brought with a small plane to San Jose where I underwent surgery because of a ruptured appendix I almost had.

After that I had to stay in bed for five weeks and I could hardly eat anything.

Two things: 1. You lost 12 kg which is unbelievable to imagine when lookin at you and 2., even more unbelievable, one of your managers told you to stay like that. I hope it's your ex-manager

It is my ex-manager.

It was quite a while ago. All this happened before 2005. I was in New York and the fashion shows were starting. I changed my clothes backstage and one of my agents was there and told me 'Julia, you look amazing. Stay like this.'

And I was looking at him and didn't quite get it, because I didn't really feel comfortable myself. I had a pinched face, I was lean, really lean. All my bones were visible.

But I gained weight very quickly. Of course it was hard though, being told something like that. You have to be able to cope with that. Thank God I can.

It's hard for me to imagine. ... Do you eat chocolate?

I would say that there is no day without chocolate for me.

And you're eating it, right? Well, the most common answer (of models) is that they have a good metabolism.

I know, that's the stock response, but it's true. When I was a child my mum almost had to force me to eat but when I grew older and became a teenager I started to eat a lot but I never gained any weight.

Also, I'm doing a lot of sports. I used to take ballett classes for 9 years and I was playing basket ball for 8 years.

What kind of sports are you doing today and how often are you working out?

I'm doing some kickboxing, cardio-workouts and I'm working out in the gym. I'm working out almost every day.

I didn't know how exhausting kickboxing is before I first tried it. I'm not boxing for real though. My coach has those gloves

Now, on the one side there's the glamour world, a jet-set life, but there is more in your life that is really interesting and worth talking about. Together with your boyfriend you visited Sierra Leone. Can you tell us something about it?

I went there for a project named 'child survival". Of course I want to speak about it in public and arise attention (for child survival), but it was the first time I went there, so I didn't take no camera team with me. It shouldn't look as if I wanted to promote myself. There was a collaboration with UNICEF and Vogue. Vogue was sponsoring the whole thing. Some photographers were with us and took pictures, my boyfriend, too.

Once you've been there you realize how silly your own problems are. What we saw there was shocking. It's great was UNICEF is doing there. We've been there in May 2007. We visited a health station and watched how they gave people tetanus vaccinations. Mothers are coming there with their kids from villages that are miles away. Every third child does not reach it's 5th birthday. e.g. they die from diarrhea because of dirty/contaminated water. So UNICEF builds wells and does educational work. For example they teach the women to breastfeed their babies, which is the best thing you can do. But many women don't know that because they were told by some American and European companies that it's a bad thing to do and that they should rather use milk poweder. Of course they are using contaminated water.

Also the horrible civil war that lasted almost 10 years in Sierra Leone. It's horrible, I read a lot about it. But still the people there are all so nice and they try to do the best they can. And we're sitting here, at home, and we're mad about the small, little stupid problems we have.

It was an eye-opener and a great thing from you and also UNICEF. I wish you all the best and thank you for coming

isn't this editorial already been posted on some other magazine before?

Yeah I think so, the ed was called "Just hangin' out feeling really good" (or something like that) and was photographed by Maciek Kobielski.