Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

People article about Leo and George 

Glad they included the great clip of Joaquin acknowledging Leo at SAG Awards

All About Leonardo DiCaprio's Strong Bond with His Dad: He's 'a Huge Force with Me'

https://people.com/movies/how-leonardo-dicaprios-dad-influenced-his-career/

SexyLeo

Like others here I've been a Leo fan since R&J 

And , as much as I would love to see Leo in person, I've accepted based on where I reside and where Leo travels to /does films I'll probably never have an opportunity to see  him in person

Thus why I'm always thrilled for other fans who do have that chance 

And since you are part of our Leo family here I feel like if you  get the chance to 'see him in person' , it will be a big win for all of us :hug:

This is great interview with Leo from back in 1993 right when he just finished  filming Boy's Life and was set to star in WEGG 

It is hard to believe he is 18 years old in these pix

boy1.jpg boy2.jpg boy3.jpg

When Leonardo DiCaprio looked and sounded like a typical ’90s teenager, he was really anything but

Editor’s note: This story was originally published in the Toronto Star on April 8, 1993 and is part of our Oscars Rewind series.

He shambles into the room, looking very much like your average 18-year-old kid. His answers are punctuated with “likes,” “I means” and “you knows.” He’s got his feet up on the furniture. He squirms, he fidgets, he gazes out the window as if he’d rather be anywhere else but here.

And then, when he gets really bored, he picks up a book of hotel matches and starts lighting them, one by one, and dropping them into the ashtray.

“I’m a pyromaniac,” he shrugs with adolescent indifference.

Leonardo DiCaprio is, in many respects, a typical teenager. A typical teenager with the lead role in a major film adaptation of a bestselling book, opposite the likes of Robert De Niro and Ellen Barkin.

The movie, which opens tomorrow, is “This Boy’s Life,” adapted from Tobias Wolff’s autobiographical memoir of growing up surly-yet-sensitive in rural 1950s Washington state.

It’s a big step for DiCaprio, whose previous credits are the horror sequel “Critters III” and the TV series “Growing Pains.”

“I was the homeless kid who moved in with the family, but it was only for the last year of the series. Thank God I didn’t have to do it any longer than that.

With film, you get the chance to do really good work. You can get into the head of the character, really feel you’re into the moment of the scene. Acting, basically. As opposed to sitcom work, which is really just trying to be funny and cute.

“Not that I have anything against ‘Growing Pains,’” he hastens to add. “I guess it was a learning experience. But I’m glad that stuff’s all behind me. I’d have to say I like what I’m doing now a whole lot better.”

Even if it is a lot more work. “Playing the part and the emotion was great,” he says. “But having to work every day for four months, one day a week off, and being in every scene, and keeping yourself up and aware ... that was really difficult. Especially with this being my first film.”

Critters III,” apparently, doesn’t count. At least, not when your second film has you in virtually every scene — some of them opposite that notoriously intimidating acting legend, Robert De Niro.Was DiCaprio terrified?

“No,” he insists, “not really. Of course I was nervous at first. But if I stayed terrified for too long, it would take away from the film.”

His coolness under pressure was one of the factors that got him the part. “I was like the sixth kid (director Michael Caton-Jones) auditioned. But he didn’t believe he could find someone for the part that easily, so he went through another 400 kids. Then he came back to me, and he auditioned me again, and then, when it was down to like me and six or seven other kids, it was time to read with DeNiro

“I guess they liked that, that I really wasn’t nervous in front of him. That I stood up to him in the audition.

“And I just carried that over onto the film. I mean, I had to. I had to keep everything light, because if I let myself get too intimidated by De Niro, and by how much of this movie was resting on my shoulders, I wouldn’t have been able to concentrate on the character. On being the character.”

The fact that the character happens to have been a real person doesn’t appear to have fazed him much, either. “When I read the book, it struck me as being something that was honest and true. It wasn’t like some crummy author just sat down and made this stuff up just for a quick buck. It was Tobias Wolff’s real account of his real life. I related to him a lot. It was an honour to play him.”

And to meet him. Wolff actually came to the set while they were shooting on location in Concrete, Wash. “He was a very nice guy,” DiCaprio says. “It was interesting to see what my character became as an adult. Of course, it would have been even better to meet him as a kid.”

And now that Wolff has seen the finished film? “Well, he compliments me high and low about it,” DiCaprio grins. “And that’s really good. That’s like the final approval. It doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks.

“Of course, I could never be exactly like him. No one could — I mean, he was there. He lived it. He told me there were some things in the film that were, like, 20 times different from the way things really were. But he also said it was a really excellent film.

“He also said that he really liked my hair.”

The hair was a problem for DiCaprio — in the film, the character’s coiff runs the ‘50s gamut, from greasy ducktail to military buzzcut. Neither of which exactly thrilled the young actor. “Actually,” he says, “it sucked.”

But also necessary. “I got one of those educational films about ‘cool’ style back in the ‘50s,” he says. “It was strange to see what kids were thinking back then. I mean, we look at it now as being ridiculous. But 20 years from now, the stuff that we’re doing and wearing now is going to look just as ridiculous.”

DiCaprio already has another film in the can, due out this fall. “It’s called “Gilbert Grape,” and it’s got Johnny Depp, Mary Steenburgen, Crispin Glover and this 400-pound woman named Darlene.

“She plays my mother. Sweet lady.”

And after that? “It doesn’t really matter, just as long as it’s good stuff. Good director, good part, good work — I like to feel that whatever I’m doing is actually going to mean something.”

I've enjoyed reading the articles here ladies, so thanks Barbie and ox! That pic is of better quality and Leo is so fine :blush:

I liked how the writer broke down Leo's performance in OUATIH, because when you think about it, it's underrated. Rick Dalton had me laughing and sad for him at the same time. That's tough to pull off.

I agree ox, a fan meeting Leo is so awesome :wub:

Thanks Jade and ox for the pix and posts!

That photo is new to me, too :D. He's so adorable:heart:

So far ox, nope, haven't or seen anything today so far.  One of these days, I'm going to fly out to L.A., go to a premiere in (or attempt to go) and try get a glimpse of Leo.