Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

LeoLover

Tks for more great Django reviews :)

Shine

Why I think Mr Levy wrote the words below with you in mine :p

The best performance in the film is given by DiCaprio, as the Southern scion Calvin Candie, a smooth-talking, racist, hypocritical, elegant gentleman who would do Hitchcock’s villains proud. Though he appears rather late in the proceedings, and plays a supporting role, DiCaprio, in his first outright villainous role, shines in every scene he is in.

New York Times report on Django premiere

AH, Christmas. Movies are rushed out this time of year, either as Oscar contenders or for the holiday box office.

So how to categorize Quentin Tarantino’s profanity-laced movie “Django Unchained,” which delivers more blood and gore than an uprising in a dictatorship? There was no confusion at the Tuesday-night screening at the Ziegfeld Theater in Manhattan

“You spend some time with your family. You want to go to the movies and have a big experience,” Mr. Tarantino said. “And I think our movie is definitely a big experience.”

The film, a revenge pic in the mold of “Inglourious Basterds,” tells the story of a slave named Django (played by Jamie Foxx) and a bounty hunter (played by Christoph Waltz) who join forces to kill off racist slave owners wanted for various crimes against humanity.

There on the red carpet was Samuel L. Jackson, talking about his latest turn as a deplorable slave who helps his owner at all costs.

“I wanted to play the most hated Negro in cinematic history,” he said.

A few feet away was Don Johnson telling reporters about the joys of being cast as a plantation owner.

Inside the theater, Sony’s Amy Pascal and the Weinstein Company’s Harvey Weinstein (who are co-distributors of the film) were huddled over a sheet of paper on which they were taking copious notes.

“I’m doing a sequel of ‘Lawrence of Arabia’ with Amy,” Mr. Weinstein said jokingly. “I showed it to her the other day, but I cut out the last scene with the motorcycle. We’ve cast Michael Fassbender. He was so good in ‘Prometheus’ playing Peter O’Toole that we decided he should play him again.”

At five past eight, Mr. Tarantino made his way to the front of the theater to deliver an expletive-filled speech about what they were about to witness. “You guys ready for some ‘Django Unchained’? ”

The audience roared.

And for nearly three hours people howled and winced as the white cast members spoke in horribly racist language and then proceeded to get shot and dismembered to rapturous applause.

Afterward, audience members made their way to a packed party at the Standard hotel Biergarten. There in the front was the pop singer Sia, chatting away with Olivier Theyskens and with Zosia Mamet of “Girls.” In the back, Mr. Foxx was munching on a grilled cheese sandwich as Mr. Tarantino held court at a nearby banquette with Uma Thurman and Sam Rockwell.

Ms. Thurman, of course, has done numerous movies for Mr. Tarantino including “Pulp Fiction” and “Kill Bill.” She can’t give an exact tally of how many people she’s killed on-screen for him. “At least 88,” she said.

Nearly everyone in the house professed to love his latest offering. “It was three hours of Tarantino perfection,” Cameron Diaz said, though she admitted to having some trouble watching some of the bloodier scenes.

“It was awesome” Patti Smith said. “The guy kills 100 people and doesn’t even get wounded. I want to go see it again at midnight with a theater packed full of crazy kids screaming.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/13/fashion/django-unchained-is-screened-as-a-star-audience-gasps.html?smid=tw-nytimesstyle&seid=auto&_r=0

Leonardo DiCaprio's favorite role

Few Hollywood stars have the versatility of Leonardo DiCaprio when it comes to taking on a wide range of characters, and yet the award-winning actor doesn't hesitate to name his favorite role in his lengthy and diverse career.

"If I had to choose one, it would probably be 'The Aviator,' playing Howard Hughes," DiCaprio told CNN at the premiere of "Django Unchained."

"It's a different set of circumstances when you're able to say to yourself, 'You know, someday I'm going to play this character,' and then you get to develop it," he went on. "And I got to develop it for over eight years, and then the great Martin Scorsese got to direct me in it. So that's the one I'm probably the most proud of."

In his latest movie, "Django Unchained," DiCaprio faces the challenge of portraying a sadistic plantation owner.

"I've never, ever read in my career anyone this narcissistic, this horrendous, this racist, this self-indulgent. It was almost like a young Louis XIV of the South," DiCaprio told CNN. "He really represented everything that was wrong with plantation owners and slave owners at the time, all combined into one. So to sort of wrap my head around sort of treating other people that way, and putting my mind into somebody else's mind like that, was the most difficult part."

DiCaprio will play another iconic character, Jay Gatsby, in the upcoming film interpretation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby," which opens in theaters next May.

http://marquee.blogs...-favorite-role/

thanks a lot, girls, for a ton of updates :flower::flower: :flower:

Leonardo DiCaprio's favorite role

Few Hollywood stars have the versatility of Leonardo DiCaprio when it comes to taking on a wide range of characters, and yet the award-winning actor doesn't hesitate to name his favorite role in his lengthy and diverse career.

"If I had to choose one, it would probably be 'The Aviator,' playing Howard Hughes," DiCaprio told CNN at the premiere of "Django Unchained."

"It's a different set of circumstances when you're able to say to yourself, 'You know, someday I'm going to play this character,' and then you get to develop it," he went on. "And I got to develop it for over eight years, and then the great Martin Scorsese got to direct me in it. So that's the one I'm probably the most proud of."

In his latest movie, "Django Unchained," DiCaprio faces the challenge of portraying a sadistic plantation owner.

"I've never, ever read in my career anyone this narcissistic, this horrendous, this racist, this self-indulgent. It was almost like a young Louis XIV of the South," DiCaprio told CNN. "He really represented everything that was wrong with plantation owners and slave owners at the time, all combined into one. So to sort of wrap my head around sort of treating other people that way, and putting my mind into somebody else's mind like that, was the most difficult part."

DiCaprio will play another iconic character, Jay Gatsby, in the upcoming film interpretation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby," which opens in theaters next May.

http://marquee.blogs...-favorite-role/

thanks a lot, girls, for a ton of updates :flower::flower: :flower:

Leo was really bothered by playing a bad guy and it's perfectly understandable because he is very a good person. :)

'Django Unchained': Is It Tarantino's Most Disturbing Film? (And 24 Other Urgent Questions)

Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained is, perhaps, the most anticipated movie of the season because, well, it's a movie directed by Quentin Tarantino and people like his movies. With two more ados before we start, the movie stars Jamie Foxx and Christoph Waltz as men hunting bounty in the old South a few years before the Civil War. With one more ado, it also stars Leonardo DiCaprio as a plantation owner who happens to own Django's wife (Kerry Washington). Are there any further ados? There appear to be no further ados. So, with no further ado, we answer every question that you could possibly have about Django Unchained.

Q: Who is Django?

A: Django (Foxx) is a slave who is freed at the beginning of the film by a German named Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz).

Q: Why does Schultz free Django?

A: Schultz is a bounty hunter and Django just happens to be in the position of being able to identify three men - the Brittle Brothers -- that Schultz is currently pursuing.

Q: Is the rest of the movie Schultz and Django chasing down these three men one at a time?

A: The film kind of sets it up that way because the three wanted men used to own Django and his wife, Broomhilda (Washington), and a lot of atrocities occurred during that time period.

Q: So Django Unchained is a tale of revenge? Like Kill Bill?

A: Perhaps these similarities occurred to Tarantino, which is also perhaps why the Brittle Brothers situation is resolved relatively early in the film on a plantation owned by "Big Daddy" Bennett (Don Johnson). After, Schultz enjoys working with Django so much, Django is offered the job of Schultz's bounty hunting partner.

Q: Why would Django want to be a bounty hunter?

A: To earn enough money so that he can at least make an attempt to purchase Broomhilda from a man named Calvin Candie (DiCaprio). Candie happens to be a pretty nasty scoundrel who wagers on slaves who fight each other to the death. A slave who refuses to fight sets up the most disturbing scene I've seen in a theater this year.

Q: Do Django and Schultz simply make Candie a financial offer for Broomhilda?

A: See this is where things go off the rails a bit. Instead of simply trying to purchase Broomhilda, Schultz devises a somewhat harebrained scheme in which he and Django pose as a party interested in purchasing a slave for fighting. The problem is, even though this convoluted plan is fully explained, it's still based on assumptions that Django and Schultz really have no reason to believe are true.

Q: Then why hatch such a convoluted plan?

A: Because if the plan weren't convoluted, this would have been a 90 minute movie.

Q: Was Christoph Waltz revitalized by working with Tarantino again?

A: After winning an Oscar for portraying Col. Hans Landa in Inglourious Basterds, Waltz has been somewhat of a lost soul, appearing in subpar films like The Green Hornet and dreck like Paul W.S. Anderson's The Three Musketeers. Here, Waltz is back at the top of his game and is a joy to watch.

Q: How many The Three Musketeers references does Christoph Waltz make during Django Unchained?

A: One. And, luckily, it was a reference to the book and not that terrible Paul W.S. Anderson movie.

Q: How is Leonardo DiCaprio's performance in Django Unchained?

A: I can't remember watching DiCaprio have this much fun in a role since Catch Me If You Can. (Though, as an aside, be warned that DiCaprio doesn't show up until at least an hour into the film.)

Q: I saw Jonah Hill in the trailer for Django Unchained. Does he play a major role?

A: Jonah Hill has about three minutes of screen time in Django Unchained. But he does happen to be in the best scene in the film.

Q: Does Django Unchained live up to the hype?

A: That really depends on what your individual level of hype is before seeing Django Unchained. If it's very high, the chances are you will be somewhat disappointed.

Q: What are the problems with Django Unchained?

A: Django Unchained just feels overly bloated at 2 hours and 45 minutes. Most specifically, again, when Django and Schultz are in the midst of their grand scheme to fool Candie, it just feels like wasted time watching a plan that we, as an audience, get the feeling isn't going to work anyway. Honestly, there's a tight 120-minute movie in there, somewhere.

Q: What deleted scenes will be on the Django Unchained Blu-ray?

A: I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a video of Quentin Tarantino saying, "Sorry, gang, nothing to see here. I used them all."

Q: Is Django Unchained Quentin Tarantino's most disturbing film?

A: Between the gore, the torture and, most disturbingly, the language - yes. And when I write "language," I'm not talking about a word like "fuck." I'm referencing the language that was used in 19th century United States - and, yes, it's excessive.

Q: Is Django Unchained also Quentin Tarantino's sweetest film?

A: Without giving anything away, strangely, even after all that ... yes, it is.

Q: Will I like Django Unchained?

A: Even while bloated, there's still more than enough good in this movie to warrant me answering "yes" to that question. So, yes, you will. It's worth seeing for the performances alone.

Q: Could anything you have written in that last sentence have stopped me from going to see Django Unchained?

A: No.

Q: What's the best thing about Django Unchained?

A: Samuel L. Jackson. Good grief, is he great. Just the look on his face half of the time had me laughing.

Q: What's the worst thing about Django Unchained?

A: Tarantino's acting.

Q: Who was the last person you expected to see in Django Unchained?

A: Tom Wopat, who played Luke Duke on The Dukes of Hazzard.

Q: What's the last thing you expected to hear during Django Unchained?

A: A Jim Croce song.

Q: The role of Django was originally written for Will Smith. How many times has Will Smith kicked himself today for passing on this role?

A: Even with the film's flaws, Django is still a pretty juicy role. So, three times today.

Q: Is there a post credits scene?

A: Yes. An extremely short scene.

Q: Should I wait through the credits to see this post credits scene?

A: No. Please trust me on this one. You've spent enough time in theaters over the last few weeks. Go out and live your life - it's slipping by faster than you think. (Note: I may be just talking to myself in this answer.)

Mike Ryan is senior writer for Huffington Post Entertainment. You can contact him directly on Twitter.

http://www.huffingto..._b_2281616.html

Pami

Tks for 24 things we need to know about Django article :)

I love that pix of Leo being interviewed as well ; though I do wonder if I could remember what I was suppose to ask him with him looking at me like that :p

Haha...it's a very difficult situation indeed! :woot: :nicole:

This is the reason why Django didn't get any SAG nominations. Usually SAG nominations are the biggest indicator as to who will be nominated for an oscar. But I just have a hard time believing that Bardem will be nominated for Skyfall. Maybe I'm wrong. Does anyone know the deadline to submit ballot for oscar nominations?

Sasha Stone ‏@AwardsDaily

Django and Zero Dark Thirty did not send screeners to SAG in time, FYI

"E/Django segment

Had really nice interview with Leo .

He talked about cutting his hand during scene /needing stitches.

He talked about Quentin's rule that every 100 takes they would all take a shot of tequilla.

The part I liked best is when 50 Cent went over to talk to Leo , and Leo has the most adorable smile , and says "I'm a big fan of yours too. "

Calibi

Tks for Sasha's tweet :)

I had, also , read on another movie/Oscar blog that supposedly that most SAG members hadn't rc'd Django screeners before ballots were due.

The ballots for this year's Oscar nods are due by Jan 3rd , so hopefully all will watch their screeners or go to screenings.

I'm ,also, expecting some Django related parties to take place in L.A. over the holidays

The Oscar nods will be announced Jan 10th which , for the first time , will be before the GG take place.

Speaking of GG , don't forget tomorrow they announce GG awards

Thanks everyone for the news :)

I'm very glad that, so far, the majority of the critics have nothing but praise for leo's performance :D

Interesting to know what his favourite role is! I remember back in the 90's he mentioned he read a book on Hughes. It was a big goal of his to get that movie made and i'm very happy he succeeded in doing so! :(Y)

This info of SAG not receiving screeners, before the due date, is rather interesting. Thanks!

The part I liked best is when 50 Cent went over to talk to Leo , and Leo has the most adorable smile , and says "I'm a big fan of yours too. "

Awww, hopefully this makes its way to youtube. Didn't watch it on TV this evening.

Personally I love that he likes rap ( he has for many many years) and I love the company he keeps :heart: