Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

More for the PTA/movie nerds but whatever.

Michael Bauman is Cinematographer on Paul Thomas Anderson’s New Film

It’s been a few weeks since I last wrote about Paul Thomas Anderson’s new film, which is currently shooting in California. I have a brief update.

Some of us were wondering who PTA might have hired as cinematographer for this still-untitled film. Well, we just had it confirmed, via a production grid, that Michael Bauman is the DP on this one — if you remember, he also shot “Licorice Pizza.”

Before being promoted as DP on “Licorice Pizza,” and this new project, Bauman was originally a chief lighting technician on all of PTA’s films since 2012’s “The Master,” his other notable credits are as a gaffer on major films such as “Vice,” “Munich” “Ray” “Training Day” and “Iron Man.”

In 2012, Mihai Mălaimare Jr. took over photography duties for "The Master.” PTA was his own DP on 2017’s “Phantom Thread” and then, as mentioned, Bauman shot 2021’s “Licorice Pizza.” 

One wishes that a PTA reunion with Robert Elswit can one day occur — their partnership resulted in a historic run of six films, including "Boogie Nights," "Magnolia," "Punch-Drunk Love," and "There Will Be Blood”. However, they seem to have had a falling out of some sorts, at least, according to Elswit.

When asked in 2019 whether he could see them collaborating again, Elswit didn’t sound too optimistic. “I don’t know. Probably not. You know, it depends on how he feels. I would do it again…I didn’t enjoy myself on ‘Inherent Vice’…It was a combination of me and Paul just not getting along, and I can be as immature as him.” Elswit went on to describe their working relationship as that of “a bad married couple. Unpleasant.”

In a 2020 interview, Elswit also criticized Phantom Thread's cinematography, pointing out Anderson’s use of “haze” and smoke — which he hinted as a very common “amateur” technique. Although Elswit did admit to liking the film, he additionally stated that some of the techniques PTA used on “Phantom Thread” intentionally degraded the image of the film: “if I’d shot that movie I would not be happy with it ending up looking like it looked.”

So there will be another final round of oscar voting. Still have no clue how the oscar voting system work AT ALL and who's voting and if everyone is allowed to vote for every category every single -so actually multiple- time(s) 😅

Marty speaking a little about Leo in this recent interview.

Martin Scorsese On Career Collaborations, Film Festivals & The Future Of Cinema: “It Will Be Quite A Bit Tougher, But Cinema Will Survive: It’s Not Something That Can Be Destroyed”

(...)

DEADLINE: Killers Of The Flower Moon is the latest chapter in the magical cinematic journey you’ve been on as a director. When you look over your career, what are you most proud of and are there experiences, lessons or collaborations that stand out to you?

SCORSESE: That’s a difficult question to answer—I’m still on the journey and I’m not looking back on my career. Obviously my collaborations with Bob De Niro and Leo DiCaprio have been extremely precious to me. So has my collaboration with Thelma Schoonmaker since 1980. I could name other people. To have those kinds of relationships, based in trust and love … it’s meant everything. As for the lessons, I think I’m still learning them.

FOR A SECOND I THOUGHT CRUISE AND PHOENIX HAD JOINED THE PTA MOVIE LMAO

However it's more or less confirmed Cruise will be indeed in Tarantinos last movie:

Tom Cruise Wants to “Return to Working With Auteurs Like Paul Thomas Anderson”

After Jeff Sneider’s reporting about Tom Cruise potentially finding a role in Quentin Tarantino’s “The Movie Critic,” Variety is confirming the scoop.