Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

Peter Travers of Rolling Stone adds to the chorus of praise for Leo's performance in J Edgar

Say this for Leonardo DiCaprio: He doesn't scare off easy from acting challenges. At 37, he's already played billionaire Howard Hughes (The Aviator), junkie Jim Carroll (The Basketball Diaries), great imposter Frank Abagnale Jr. (Catch Me If You Can) and Shakespeare's Romeo. In J. Edgar, DiCaprio ages from his twenties to his seventies to play America's feared and loathed top cop. And despite being buried in layers of (often too obvious) prosthetic latex, DiCaprio is a roaring wonder in the role. He needs to be. Until his death in 1972, J. Edgar Hoover ruled the Federal Bureau of Investigation like a bulldog no one would dare leash. That includes eight presidents, Martin Luther King Jr. and e

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews...9#ixzz1dSABHp8T

Fash

Yes, I hope the $18 million estimate holds for the weekend; would be great news :)

By Princess

Thanks for pix of Leo and friends driving around Times Square :)

With the lights and people there is lots to catch one's attention there .

This is great news , JayZ is performing and his Django co star is host of Leo's birthday/charity bash tonight ,and Leo in a tux ....Wow is right !

tnkg

Jayz performing at leo dicaprios charity and jamie foxx hosting it! Wow

3 hours ago

tnkg

Leo Dicap having a black tie charity event tnite -tickets

Barbie

Thanks for interview clip :)

Also, thanks, for thoughts about the other guy with camera to right of Leo.

This isn't some big critic or anything... but it still echoes what we've been hearing. Which is that Leo did a great job!!

sportyMposh Sarah

J. Edgar Review: Leonardo DiCaprio And Makeup Get A+ But Film Lacks http://is.gd/kTmIbD

3 minutes ago

http://www.sportymeetsposh.com/2011/11/11/...but-film-lacks/

Jay Z overload!! Thanks Oxford for tweet! Sounds like he'll have/ is having a blast!

Greg's definitely OUR MAN in Hollywood :)

Greg’s Review: Leonardo DiCaprio is so superb in “J. Edgar” that he should finally win an Academy Award

J. Edgar, directed by Clint Eastwood with a screenplay by Dustin Lance Black, opened nationwide today and it is a film I feel certain will, at last, win Leonardo DiCaprio an Academy Award.

DiCaprio is absolutely superb in this biopic about longtime FBI director J. Edgar Hoover and believable at every age he is portraying – even under heavy make-up.

Rest of review

http://greginhollywood.com/gregs-review-le...emy-award-58223

Fash

Thanks for review ; agree even if a reviewer finds fault with movie the overwhelming majority still have praise for Leo's performance, and once everyone has a chance to see it, you'll know why ! :wave:

oh yeah, you right fash. No doubt most critics thinks Leo's performance is amazing and praising him for that.

WOW, thanks for that review ox. LOVE IT! Reading this review revealed somethings about the movie I didn't knew but it's ok.

Oh it's so unfair for us from other countries, the more I heard about Leo's acting in this movie more I want to see it RIGHT NOW!

I love this guy's review - Buffalo , New York newspaper

Updated: November 11, 2011, 10:57 AM

Advertisement

Bet the farm on it. This much is certain: Leonardo DiCaprio will be nominated for a Best Actor Oscar for his haunting performance in “J. Edgar.” And given everything else I’ve seen thus far this year — including the upcoming “The Descendants,” which is George Clooney’s Best Actor Oscar bid — I haven’t seen anything else that comes close to pulling off what DiCaprio does in “J. Edgar.”

Give him the gold and let’s be done with it.

Anyone, then, who is still somehow under the impression that DiCaprio is just a lucky and well-connected pretty boy who’s been buoyed for more than a decade on a heaving sea of aging and formerly screaming “Titanic” fans, is sadly mistaken. If his previous portrait from the American Gallery of Power Pathology — playing Howard Hughes in Martin Scorsese’s surprisingly absorbing “The Aviator” — didn’t convince, I don’t see how “J. Edgar” could fail to.

It’s the small miracle of what great actors routinely do. DiCaprio is a tall, slender, almost impossibly good-looking man. Hoover was a squat bulldog of a man with a much-photographed public face from which all the pruning, preening and grooming in the world couldn’t quite subtract the visible brutality.

How in heaven’s name does an actor with DiCaprio’s image convincingly portray a public figure as physically and biographically well-known in his time as J. Edgar Hoover, the ultimate “GMan,” was when he was the much-hated founder of the FBI and primal apostle of forensic science in crime detection? (In a world reduced to business and nothing but, the Hoover estate would get a cut of all the royalties from the “CSI” shows.)

DiCaprio certainly couldn’t make himself shorter, but with the aid of brilliant makeup and little else but his own profound talent (and director Clint Eastwood’s understanding of it), he’s given us a massively credible Hoover on screen that stays with you. It’s a magnificent specimen of just what it is that great screen actors do.

The film? It’s good, to be sure, but not nearly as good as the performance in the center of it. In truth, there were actually one or two brief moments when my eyelids drooped and flashes of golden slumber (or something in the neighborhood) stole my staunchest attention.

Now that Eastwood is 81, we can see themes in his prolific life work as a film director. He’s a revisionist realist by temperament — sometimes great, as in “Unforgiven” and “Million Dollar Baby,” and never bad. One kind of film Eastwood obviously likes a whole lot is the kind that blows away the heroic mythologies successfully peddled in his California youth. In “Flags of Our Fathers” he wanted to tell us about the very real agonies of the Iwo Jima flag-raisers, caught in the mythic maelstrom of “selling the war.”

Now, he’s giving us a very strange and entirely admirable film but one that, in its way, is just as much mythological as the heroic comic book “G-man” who first succeeded in selling America (especially its youth) the fledgling and underfunded bureau in the 1920s and ’30s.

In the real world, Hoover managed to take his bureau to the very top of America’s law enforcement food chain. And, at the same time, become the profession’s leader in applying science and library classifications to forensics. (The man loved fingerprints and, even more than that, vast files of them that he hoped might someday include those of every American.)

And Eastwood makes no bones about admiring all of that. He’s even weirdly discreet about the rich mythology of Hoover’s secret files, said to include the most intimate and embarrasing peccadillos of every significant celebrity or pol of his era.

About his political harassments, no discretion is possible. But with the script of Dustin Lance Black (of “Milk” fame), Eastwood can’t help but get into areas of reverse mythology about Hoover, i. e., that his long close relationship with assistant Clyde Tolson made him a closet gay and also a cross-dresser. About the latter the only evidence there has ever been was the word of a woman who had otherwise been charged with perjury (in an entirely different matter). About the former, it never made the slightest sense that Hoover — a man with such a rich sense of the consequences of privately deviating from America’s “norm” — would ever court exposure.

Eastwood, nevertheless, shows us an entirely sympathetic (and entirely fictional) scene in which the closeted passions of Hoover and Tolson explode into the open when Hoover reveals to him an intimate relationship with Dorothy Lamour (one Lamour never denied).

What’s fascinating about all that is that it all reveals so much more about America’s fear and hatred of its ultimate secret file keeper than it does about the man himself. And yet that is not an easy idea to get into a movie.

So we’re stuck with Eastwood and Black’s counter-mythology to Hoover’s myth of self-created heroism. It has its own glaring need for revisionism. (Hoover’s mother, for instance, died in 1938, not in Hoover’s own advanced age, as is implied here with her death enacted by Dame Judi Dench.)

And yet it’s the discretion of Eastwood and his insistence on doing as much right by this deeply tortured man as he can that makes this one of the year’s important movies.

http://www.buffalonews.com/entertainment/g...ticle628261.ece

And one that contains one of the year’s unquestioned great film performances.

you girls don't seem incredible, that despite the mix reviews to the movie, Complaints about super fake makeup, terrible script, and I don't know other things that some have said... STILL everyone agrees that his performance was EXCELLENT and that hi deserves to be nominate and win! That for me it's enough :thumbsup:

aw, I loved this line:

DiCaprio certainly couldn’t make himself shorter, but with the aid of brilliant makeup and little else but his own profound talent (and director Clint Eastwood’s understanding of it), he’s given us a massively credible Hoover on screen that stays with you. It’s a magnificent specimen of just what it is that great screen actors do.

thanks solange.

lol, she's too cute - girl who does the Icouldhavedrowned blog (not entirely all Leo-based but a big Leo fan):

Her comments from newest to oldest :

K, I’m gonna try to express my feelings about J. Edgar.

It’s my fourth, or maybe even third, favorite Leo movie of all time.

From the opening monologue to the credits, the movie grabs you. I honestly wasn’t expecting that. Leo and Armie were just beyond amazing, I can hardly put it into words. That was acting at it’s finest. You could just feel how deep their feelings were. The amount of times I was brought to tears, it was all too much. Leo made this man that has always been painted in such a negative light, he made this man not only likable but still showed his faults. Armie’s smile! The smile! The whole movie was just perfect and so much more then I ever thought.

Also my theater wasn’t as full as I would have liked but the crowd was full of older men who got all the references to the times and they laughed at so much. It was so cute.

It was just so perfect.

post-17085-0-1446081333-48658_thumb.gif

6 hours ago · 5 notes

#J. Edgar

I feel like a very proud mother right now lol

6 hours ago · 1 note

Just got back from seeing J. Edgar

oh

my

dear

sweet

Lord

up

above.

6 hours ago · 8 notes

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEONARDO DICAPRIO!

(via lwdlovers)

Oh my glob, y’all.

I’M SO SCARED

I DON’T WANT TO BE DISAPPOINTED

11 hours ago · 1 note

Gettin’ ready to go see J. Edgar

11 hours ago · 5 notes

Latest Leo NY sighting

anapauHerrera21Ana Paula Herrera

Leonardo DiCaprio at 1 oak #seriously ?!

1 minute ago

Solange

Thanks for great NY review , as well as, blogger's reaction to Leo's performance :)

Fash

Were you ever able to hear audio interview with Leo ?

It never worked for me.