Bellazon

Veronica Varekova
Thumbnail

Gilligan

Ocean Drive

Czech Mate

Veronica Varekova ranks among the most sought-after models on the planet, from Sports Illustrated’s annual Swimsuit Issue to Victoria’s Secret and Patek Philippe; here, the Czech supermodel reveals a down-to-earth nature that proves she’s more than a pretty face.

Ocean Drive: How often do you get to South Beach, and where might we find you on a typical Saturday night?Veronica Varekova: I come down to South Beach at least once a month, and Saturday nights I would probably go to a nice, simple dinner at Nobu with a bunch of friends.

Models are constantly on airplanes—where do you escape when you’re not working?

I escape to Miami because it’s so close to New York, but I choose to stay on Fisher Island, which offers the best of both worlds—you can escape to South Beach and have fun or stay on the island and lie on a quiet beach or play golf on a local golf course.

Everyone always assumes modeling is such a glamorous lifestyle— do you live up to that idea or are you more low-key?

I can easily go both ways—in New York I enjoy walking my dog in Washington Square Park and there’s no glamour to that, but I know how to treat myself and my friends when I go down to the Amalfi Coast on a beautiful sailboat in the summer.

What is a dream job for you these days?

This minute my dream job is organizing Christmas dinner for the orphanage I support in the Czech Republic.

Would you like to mention some of your latest projects?

I do a lot of charity work and lately I took an interest in real estate, but I still work in fashion and that always keeps me busy.

Is there any particular designer or photographer with whom you love to work, and what is it about that person?

There’s a bunch of designers, from Giambattista Valli to Balmain, who I love. As far as photographers, Peter Lindbergh is always a pleasure to work with, and I had fun shooting these pictures with Antoine Verglas; you never feel like you’re working but you always come home with great pictures.