Bellazon

Toni Garrn
Thumbnail

lisa-1

Hmmm, Toni said that their friends brought them together. But it seems to me in the old interview she said that they met at an exhibition in Dallas.

Maybe its like -  I think so too, yes. I heard a lot of stories about people whose agents got calls...This has never happened to me, but i was in a relationship while I received such a call... idk

7 hours ago, sore said:

PART III - Podcast Interview: On Chandler

I: So...we can cut that out if you don't want to talk about it, but I personally am a huge basketball fan. 

T: [loud laughter]

I: You know what's next.

T: About him we can talk. He's an asshole.

I: Is he? So, he's an NBA player...

T: Is he even still an NBA player? Let's talk about that.

I: His name is Chandler Parsons, he played for the Mavericks with Dirk.

T: Dirk is amazing. That was the best part about the whole relationship, getting to know Dirk and his wife. They are such a sweet family. I spent a lot of them in the arena there, they are really cool.

I: How did you get to know Chandler?

T: It was a setup, a friend of mine had married a basketball player. They are just getting a divorce. So that's the whole...[couldn't understand, but I assume she said something like: this is how it goes when you marry a basketball player]

I: Who was that?

T: European player, you don't know him. But they set us up for their wedding, we were each other's dates at their wedding.

I: He signed extremely good contracts.

T: Did he? Do you actually know if he's still playing? I heard his knee was so fucked up that he's basically just sitting around.

I: But I think he doesn't really have to care much, he's earned so much money already. 60 to 70 Mio lifetime earnings. He used to be really really good. When I googled you and saw that you were dating him, I was like: Woah, crazy, Chandler Parsons. Our audience will probably be like: What is he talking about, nobody knows him, but he was really really good. I have a theory, I don't know if you can talk about it openly...

T: I think my agent will cut out all of these things, but anyway.

I: Oh, please, don't.

T: I wish it was all in English at this point. [I think she's implying: So Chandler can understand it too]

I: Is it the case in this whole entertainment business, especially in the NBA, that people are dating strategically? All Kardishians were dating NBA players, for example. Can't be coincidence?

T: I think so too, yes. I heard a lot of stories about people who got calls from agents...It's never happened to me, but it's true that I was in relationships where I was approached because of them.

I: What I mean is: Is it a contract, calculated?

T: I'm sure it is sometimes. I've heard that quite often. But I have so many famous friends and people in my life, I don't care if the main person in my life, who sleeps next to me, is famous too.

😱🤣🤣🤣

Part IV - Podcast Interview: On the future of her career, business investments, and GNTM

I: Are you worried about how long you will still be able to model?

T: No, not really...I work more than ever at the moment. I don't know why. So no. But I think also because I would really like to have a huge house one day, and I have such an urge to not travel all the time, to unpack everything. I have so many storages; I only see my wardrobe in NYC every few months...I always pack and carry around the same stuff. I had to do laundry urgently yesterday, because I only brought 10 panties for 2 months, I'm an idiot. So, I would love to have a normal life. If I were to not model for half a year, I'd be very happy. 

I: Do you think about what else to do, like: When I don't want to model anymore, I'll become a teacher?

T: Not a teacher, no. I think if I had never started modeling in the first place, I would still be backpacking through Africa. I love it there, there's no place that makes me feel as grounded and happy. I don't need anybody there, no person, no cell phone...I'm just happy there, I don't know what it is, the energy, the food, the people, the culture. So I think I would do that, build something in Africa or move there. If I didn't have any other job. But I as who I am would ideally love to hold more fundraisers, travel to Africa more often, and then do two films a year that take like 3 months at a time each, so I could really spend time there and could really work through my characters.

I: Are you trying to make the most out of your modeling career at the moment because you think it could be over soon?

T: Not yet. But it's a constant discussion with my agent. Do you just say yes to jobs because it's a lot of money? Or do you think it will ruin jobs for next year? I think if I told her I was pregnant or I wanted to pause for 2 years, she would give me like 10 jobs she's been waiting for for 10 years, but we never did them because they aren't so good for my image. There's always this kind of balance...

I: That means you turn down a lot of jobs?

T: Yeah.

I: You get so many requests?

T: Yes, I mean, I can't be everywhere. It's also a lot about my health and the amount of traveling. I've been doing this since I was 14, I haven't been in the same place for longer than, I don't know, like 12 days ever since. I just turned down a huge job, my agent claims she's been on the phone with all of my other agents in New York and Paris etc. the whole day yesterday, because everybody thought it was so terrible that I turned it down. But there are 3 friends of mine who are going to fly in for my birthday in Berlin, and I was planning on not working for those 4 days. It's so much more important to me that all of them fly in, they took days off their jobs, their real jobs to be with me. Maybe I wouldn't have turned down such a job 10 years ago, but nowadays...those private moments are way more important to me. And there was zero discussion about it for me. It wouldn't have mattered how much money they had offered me: From the 4th until the 8th of July I'm not going to work, it's my birthday, everyone is coming together and I'm very much looking forward to it.

I: So you have an own agent for each continent?

T: Yes, my main agency are Paris, New York, and Eva. Eva is in Berlin. But Eva is doing everything with me, she's in Africa with me, she does all of my press work, she used to work only for me, but launched her own agency last year, because I want to work so much less, so that she sometimes won't work with me for a month or so, that's why she included other models. I don't want anybody to be dependent on the amount of work I'm doing. And I would really love to not work for a month and do nothing. Doing nothing in the sense of: Taking care of my projects in Africa, read scripts, read books, not traveling every day. It's just not possible when you model. I've never had a job that was coincidentally in the city I was already in. Never. Modeling always means: Hopping on a plane. 

I: You're even invested - maybe because of that - in a startup from Hamburg, a startup that develops light technology so passengers can sleep better on the plane.

T: Exactly. That's kind of a no-brainer for me, it's so authentic and normal for me. I'm on a plane like two or three times a week. I'm always on a plane. So I look at the screens all day, eat airplane food, am exposed to the light. And then I read that it's scientifically proven that a certain kind of light enhances melatonin production in the body, so you can sleep better and so that you can almost wake up with, it's really a lot healthier in the long run. It's important how your seat is positioned, how the light wakes you up, I personally very much believe that the food has a lot to do with it as well, it's also something Jetlite wants to include soon. When I heard about it, I was like: Sure, I can easily be your spokesperson. I very much believe in it.

I: And they just contacted you?

T: Exactly. They contacted me, they claimed it wasn't about modeling at all [ironic tone], but because I'm a good traveler, which is true, I'm a traveling pro. I'm very much interested in this kind of thing, and if I can help them in any way, of course I will. My goal is for their technology to run on every plane soon, so everybody can travel in a healthier way. A lot of travelers, especially in first and business class, still travel because it's cool, they open a bottle of champagne and take selfies and so on, whereas for me, it's just: The pillow needs to be exactly that way; can we please finally take the lights off so I can sleep, I have only four hours left to sleep until I have to run around on set for 20 hours. Planes are a necessity for me, unfortunately.

I: Do you always fly first class?

T: Mostly business, rarely first. When my travel agents want to act a little cool, they're like: I upgraded you. But mostly clients pay for business, which is absolutely okay for me.

I: Are you invested in more startups? Are you open for this kind of thing?

T: Yes, I'm also invested in another company. But I'm a lot more involved there, it's something I do with a friend in New York. [Kristin O'Connor] It's about...I don't eat dairy or meat, since I was 17....

I: Because of modeling?

T: No, not really. There are a lot of girls who look great precisely because they eat meat. When it comes to fitness, I don't think it's stupid to eat a lot of proteins. But for me it's about several things: Health wise, I was in a spa when I was 17 and discovered that it's very hard to digest for me. Also, I watched a lot of documentaries and saw how bad it really is for the animals, and in the country I live in, the US, it's even worse than here. Chickens are pumped up and killed within like five days there. It's not even 'meat' anymore. The chance that I get served good food on planes or at caterings is very low, so I just decided to cut if out completely at some point. Another reason is environment, from what I've heard it's really bad for the environment to eat meat, so I just cut it out at some point. Anyways, the startup is about energy balls made out of veggies, but we haven't launched it yet, because we're still working on the packaging. My co-founder, that is, the founder, I'm the co-founder, she's a chef, a real pro is very picky. I just told you something about coconut milk [I'm guessing off the record?], she's the one who wrote the books about blood type diets, and she knows that coconut milk is bad for all blood type diets, so we don't have coconut in our balls. We're working on the packaging, she wants it to be 100% recyclable plastic, she has very high standards, so that's why we haven't launched or talked about it yet, but I hope we'll be able to launch next year, and I will push it a lot then. 

I: So you invested a lot of money in the company? [Side note: It's a little funny how he wants to talk about money ALL THE TIME]

T: Uuhhhm... [pause]

I: Yes.

T: No comment. 

I: Sounds like a lot. Are you looking for other investors?

T: Yes. That's my main focus...I've helped a lot with finding investors. The whole money that's involved right now for packaging and our manufacturer, who is in Oregon and does a lot of vegan energy balls for other companies as well, and for my friend who's been working exclusively on this for 3 years and doesn't have another job, is from my contacts. I have a lot of contacts who believe a lot in the product and in me as an endorser, and they've helped us a lot. But my main work will be once it's launched. 

I: Especially when it comes to traveling, there's a lot going on right now, there's this new baggage brand, I don't know if you've heard about it...

T: "Away"?

I: Yeah, exactly, do you follow those developments?

T: I don't look for investments proactively, no. There are so many people who approach me and want to sell me a percentage of their company or propose deals etc., but honestly, I have enough to do, I would be so happy to be able to do nothing one day, to not have to post on Insta, to be able to read more and take care of my acting more profoundly. And charity is really a longtime baby, there's always something to do, you can always do more fundraisers, you can always do more projects, I would love to travel to Africa more often, so...business is more something I do when it finds me, and when I trust in the founders behind the projects. What do I have to do for it? If it fits: okay. But I'm not really business-driven. I've never been very money-driven. A lot of people in my life are annoyed by that.

I: I was just gonna say -. your agents etc, they certainly want you to be money-driven.

T: And I'm always like: nooo, not really. I think I'm just very lucky when it comes to money. I've had money since I was very young, so it's not my focus. My focus is: I would love to continue living the way I live, but there's not like a number I've always wanted to earn. 

I: Do you think a lot about what you do with your money, how it's invested etc.?

T: My mom's been taking care of it for ages, and we work together in a really good family office, I look at it every other month or so, when there aren't any red numbers I'm happy... [loud laughter from both of them] I'm really way too easygoing with money, I know.

I: But, when I asked you before about becoming a teacher, honestly what I was getting at was: Will you have to work ever again?

T: [pause] Well, I don't think I'll have to earn money with something completely different, no. But it would be cool if acting would earn me more money and not just cover the costs. 

I: When I googled you, I saw a headline saying you'd take over Germany's Next Topmodel soon?

T: I've been there as a guest judge a few times. 

I: But only as a guest, it won't be something bigger eventually?

T: People often ask me if I want to host something. Uhm...I love to talk, in case you haven't noticed yet...

I: I hear that! I'm very happy about it!

T: I like doing this kind of thing, I also like taking part in TV shows like GNTM, because I really feel I can help the girls a little, and I realize: Okay, obviously I actually did learn something in all these years. Because you never really know when or if you learn, it's all life experience. But when I'm talking to the girls I realize: I really know a thing or two that I can pass on to them, and it's really fun. But other than telling models a little bit about the business, I wouldn't really know what my TV show would be about. I don't know...maybe others have to approach me with a cool idea.

I: So you're content with just being a guest?

T: As I said, if there was a cool idea, something smart....I think Heidi is doing a great job hosting the show, it's her idea, her show, it works well...

I: Do you watch GNTM yourself?

T: I'm never in Germany. And when I am, I'm not in front of a TV.

I: But you could stream it online.

T: I tried to watch my episode. But it hasn't worked yet. 

I: Do you think it's realistic for the girls there to have a career like yours?

T: I think everything's possible today. There are so many successful people fronting Prada campaigns or making a lot of money just because of, I don't know, some weird sex tape or something, so everything is possible. GNTM is just a platform they can use. And nowadays...if you're crazy enough, or if you date somebody, or if you have a lot of followers on Insta, you can work for big brands. 

I: So dating is a point, once again.

T: That's what they say. It wasn't for me. But I guess for many it is, yes. 

"There are so many successful people fronting Prada campaigns or making a lot of money just because of, I don't know, some weird sex tape or something, so everything is possible. GNTM is just a platform they can use. And nowadays...if you're crazy enough, or if you date somebody, or if you have a lot of followers on Insta, you can work for big brands. "

True shit... Thank u @sore

Part V - Podcast Interview: On designers, photographers, and her flea market

I: Was there one career move for you - we've talked about VS already - that was a real game changer for you?

T: Fashion wise, definitely Calvin Klein. Everybody in the industry and every agent would tell you: Toni became famous because of Calvin Klein. I did the campaigns very early, was on many billboards, exclusively. That's always something very special in the industry, because the others know: Calvin pays so much for her, so nobody else can touch her. So, definitely Calvin. Mh...what else did I do? I don't know. I think VS was definitely big for the media... [pause]

I: Do you follow the latest fashion trends? Where the industry is going? I watch it from a marketing perspective, there's this crazy guy at Balenciaga who does a lot of memes and DHL shirts that are everywhere all of a sudden...

T: I think the whole fashion world, online, on Social Media, everywhere, they all want to find something NEW. They want to know: What else can I still do, what hasn't been done yet, what's the craziest thing, how can I be seen? That's the main focus with everything. I don't know how much of it people actually wear and how much of it is just for online or Social Media campaigning. But it's always been like that. [I think she doesn't mean Social Media, but the fact that fashion isn't necessarily really wearable.] So am I following that a lot...? No.

I: Do you read industry magazines, like Business of Fashion?

T: Yeah...they also have a huge event once a year. Yeah.

I: So you're also interested in the business side of fashion?

T: A little. A little.

I: Did you ever meet Karl Lagerfeld for a little longer?

T: Yes, sure. We did a lot of work together.

I: And how was that? Like, super impressive?

T: He was great, yes.

I: Who has inspired you the most in the fashion world? Who was the most impressive person?

T: [pause] There are so many. Definitely a lot of photographers. Karl is definitely amongst them. Peter Lindbergh is very cool, very relaxed. I love working with him, also because there's always a family-like atmosphere. It's as if you were chit-chatting with your Dad while he's taking pictures of you. Steven Meisel is a very...different type, but working with him taught me a lot. He explained a lot about photos and always sent me a film beforehand that I had to watch, he's one of the only photographers to do this. He shot a lot with me for Vogue Italia and; he always shot films and took stills out of them afterwards as editorial pictures. He also put a mirror next to me so I could see what I was doing. I had a lot of good teachers in the fashion world.

I: Is Anna Wintour really as crazy as people think she is?

T: She's really quiet. When I first met her I was 16, I will never forget that meeting. It really was a little like "The Devil wears Prada". She's really nice actually and I've seen her a lot at events since, I saw her at an event recently, where somebody gave a beautiful speech about her, and she was sitting in front of me and was crying because of that speech. That was really sweet. So she actually is a lot warmer than you would imagine. But when I was 16 she asked me what I liked to do in my free time, and somebody had told me that she loves tennis, and I play tennis, too, so I was like: "Hi, nice to meet you, I play tennis" [laughs] And she goes: "Who's your favorite tennis player, darling?", and I was like "Uuuuuhm...". There was that one player, I think he was Spanish and he had a two-handed backhand and was left-handed, which was really special for me, because I'm left-handed to and I also have a two-handed backhand, and so I named him and was like "Fernando Verdasco...?!", and I thought maybe she thinks it's cool that it's not one of the biggest players, but she goes: "Oh, really, my favorite's Federer", and I was like "Shit, I could have thought so, I could have googled it before". Afterwards she was like: "Ok, thank you so much", and that was it, and I thought: "Okay, it was officially the wrong answer". I also worked with US Vogue afterwards...but yeah, she's a little scary.

I: And who else were you impressed by? I would have expected everyone just says Karl Lagerfeld, he must have been very impressive.

T: Karl Lagerfeld is great, was great. 

I: And Calvin Klein, what is he like in person?

T: I've never met him in person. Francsico Costa was their designer all the time, Calvin passed the company on ages ago, so I've never met him. 

I: Tommy Hilfiger?

T: Tommy Hilfiger is a very normal, very sweet American guy. Ralph Lauren is half Russian, so he's not at all like you would imagine him, all of his shows were always very Russian. There are so many...Vivienne Westwood is completely crazy, but very cool. Carine Roitfeld is very French, she's very cool. But I also love our Vogue editor-in-chief, Christina Arp is very nice, very talented, very German woman. It's nice to work in fashion with normal people like her, it doesn't happen that often. I've been on a lot of sets where everybody was yelling at each other, or something went completely wrong, or shoots got cancelled...

I: Which other Germans, other than you, are big players in the fashion world? Jil Sander maybe? Who else?

T: I did a lot of campaigns for Jil Sander, but never met her in person [inaudible]. But...I don't know. 

I: But who are other Germans you meet all the time? Heidi Klum, obviously?

T: I see her often, yes. 

I: Who else...some others who made it on a global scale?

T: Mh...I think you'd have to ask my agent, I don't know. [I thought that part was a little surprising, there's Anna Ewers at the very least?]

I: Because you feel more like a World Citizen?

T: I don't really spend a lot of time thinking about such things. I turn off Instagram whenever I can after work...

I: So when you meet people again and again and they are German, it doesn't really matter to you?

T: There really aren't a lot of Germans. Christiane, mainly. Uhm...[pause]. No offense, but I don't really miss it that much, I moved to Germany when I was 10, and started modeling when I was 14, I just wasn't in Germany a lot. I have my girls here, and I love my girls here, but I don't have German friends in New York, zero. Uhm...it's also more difficult for me to speak German, I don't know if you've noticed...it always feels as if I had a weird thing in my throat.

I: Not at all! You also had to be silent for half a year once, right?

T: Not quite, I didn't talk for 2 months, then I had logopedic lessons...it was because I always do that fundraiser for my foundation, where I sell all my clothes, and those of friends and famous people, I'll do it again in New York in September, and everything will be sold online, so y'all can buy it online as well, 100% of the money goes to Africa.

I: What's the name of the event?

T: It used to be called Supermodel Flea Market in the past, I think it'll stay that way. Anyway, I did it two years ago, first in Berlin for a week, then London, then Paris, then Madrid, and I did a lot of press work for half a year beforehand, and I just lost my voice. While it was running, I spent a week with fans, 10 hours a day, I helped sell the clothes, it was really a lot of fun, but everything was depending on me: If I don't talk to the media nobody will, if I don't sell clothes they won't be sold...I had to do everything. I'll do less this year. This year I'll do one location, New York only, and I'll do everything online. My goal is to raise more while working less, let's see if it works out. 

I: How much do you raise with an event like this?

T: Last year I made 140 000, clothes only.

I: Just with your old clothes?

T: Yeah, but also Gisele Bündchen's, Christy Turlington's, Karlie Kloss's clothes.

I: So you text them and say: Hey, do you guys have clothes for me?

T: Yes. Gisele just wrote me she'll give me her clothes again this year. There are really great supporters. I have a great group of talented, great models and girls, but I don't see them that often, we're just on different schedules all the time. I mainly see them at events. But as far as my foundation is concerned, everybody was very supportive. Even if I almost don't know them privately, they always send me a huge suitcase full of clothes. 

I: So it's just something you want to do to raise money for Africa?

T: Yes, it first started out of practical reasons, my whole wardrobe was bursting with clothes, I have way too much stuff, but that's how every model feels. Especially now with Instagram, we get sent so much stuff. I get so much stuff every week that I never asked for, that don't fit me...what do I do with them? But because of the name, when Gisele wore it, I can double the price, there are so many fans. Last year, Karlie, one of my best friends, gave me her old Nikes, and then a little girl from the US came in and bought them for $ 250...some [girls with big] names can give me everything, it doesn't matter. For the girls it doesn't mean much to give the clothes away, we all have way too many clothes, and I can make so much money for my foundation, because there are so many fans you love the clothes.

I: When is it? Can I go there?

T: Yes, the event will be on September 12 in New York. But we'll also auction stuff off online. Last year, the best pieces were gone within 2 seconds. And I thought it was way too cheap, so I want to make it an auction this year. That's why I work with Paddle8, an auction house, and afterwards the things will be online for 3 more months, depending on how many clothes I get. 

I: It's a German company, right? Paddle8 belongs to Auctionata, I think.

T: Really?? Are you sure??

I: Yes.

T: I got to know the owner, he lives between Russia and Sitzerland.

I: But I think they got swallowed by a German startup, Auctionata. 

T: Ah, I probably should know that.

I: No, you don't have to know that...I should know it more precisely as well. But yeah, it doesn't really matter. So you work with them?

T: Yeah, the things will be online on Paddle8 for 3 months. 

I: And where exactly is the location?

T: Haha...mhh...I'm still thinking about that. I'm talking to a couple hotels at the moment. It's good to do it in New York, because a lot of people there are generous. I get catering for free, I get a studio for free...

I: Are you kidding me? "Generous"? I'd guess everybody wants to have your event in their rooms!

T: Exactly, exactly. But it's different in other cities. I had a sponsoring partner two years ago, Vestiaire Collective, a big second-hand online store, and they pumped 300 000 into my flea market  so they could get the press etc., but they had to rent everything, the gallery on Torstraße [Berlin] for 3 days, they rented the best location in Covent Garden, they really did spend a lot of money. This year, Paddle 8 is just an online partner.

I: So they had to pay money to be a part of it?

T: No, no, the had expenses of 300 000. They also were shipping things for like half a year, and they organized everything for me logistically, FedEx packages etc... This year, I just drop off everything at Paddle8 in New York, there's no sponsor. Okay, I pay for Gisele's messenger when she sends stuff from Boston, but other than that, I only need stuff from people who really drop it off there. Which is what most of them do. Most of them always say: "How can I help, I'm so happy to help". The thing is, I need a store that doesn't move for 4 days. It's not so hard to get a store for one evening for a event, but a location during Fashion Week for 4 days...But I never spent one cent from my charity money for the flea market for overheads. I manage to organize everything for free. Okay, maybe I spent 1000 Euro to rent chairs and tables. 

I: Is Gisele like the absolute number 1 in the industry at the moment?

T: For me personally, yes. She's always been my biggest idol. I love her work, I love what she does...she doesn't really work anymore unless it's related to environmental causes, she's really pushing it, every cover is somehow related to environment. She really uses her voice in a smart way. And she's just the nicest of them all. She's really nice.

I: And when you say you love her work, do you mean her choice of brands she's working with?

T: She just hardly does anything that's not connected to her initiative. She works a lot for the environment, especially in Brazil, for the rain forests, and she doesn't do a cover or an editorial unless it's in her habitat. The fashion industry is the second worst industry for the environment, especially when it comes to washing, and plastic, and shipping and so on. And I think she really does it in a very smart way. 

I: Do you ever feel bad that you yourself work in an industry that's so negative, ecologically speaking?

T: Since I founded my own foundation not anymore, no. I couldn't do as much work for Africa without modeling, I raised almost half a million in the last five years, I wouldn't have been able to do it without my name or my job. 

I: But that's mainly about hostels in Africa, right? As you just told us?

T: Mainly hostels. Sometimes we spend money on school uniforms, sometimes for streets, sometimes for school buildings. But it's really always about girls. Sometimes we do real educational programs where we also talk to the boys, and parents, and teachers, and the village chiefs. Sometimes I have to go to some rain forest and talk to a village chief because he has a lot more reputation and influence than politicians. I always work in rural areas, never in urban areas. All of the rights that women and children have are mostly known in the cities, where I work, 5,6,7 hours outside of the next city, there's still circumcision, kids are still married at 14, even though it's illegal, they don't even know that. So I have to talk to the village chief and ask him why he trades the girls in the village for 5 cows, like, why do you allow that? And you really have to do all their rituals, like, clap 5 times, go down on the floor, bring presents. Real African tribal chiefs.

I: Wow, what you get to experience! But that's not really your job, right, that's your private business.

T: It's so much fun. Sometimes it's a little dangerous. Sometimes they say: "You shouldn't have asked the chief why he wouldn't do this with his own daughter, it was too..." But I usually go there with locals only...my agent sometimes says: "But you really can't do that thing on top of everything else now". The poor thing was also in quarantine once after we came back from Africa, she imported something...

I: Listen, when I hear you talk like that, you're also a very political person, right?

T: I try not to be political. 

I: [surprised] You try not to be??

T: I just know that I can't be in specific areas, or that I can do more when I don't talk about my political opinion. 

I: Do you watch the preparations for the Primaries in the US? Lot's of women surfacing all of a sudden...

T: I think that's great, yeah. 

I: Do you watch it?

T: Yes, I watch it, I hope they can unite behind a strong democratic candidate.

I: Who's your favorite?

T: Uuuh...I can't say right now. I haven't really followed anything the last couple of weeks. But there are a few who are very active in New York and are at a ton of events. I like that.

I: But it's not like...some of them get in touch with you or something? That they're trying to connect fashion and politics? Cause a lot of actors do that, too.

T: Many people do that, yes. I think my main answer would be: I haven't had the time for it yet. I would like to do something like this, I'm not against it, but I need to focus a little, I have so many things on my plate. Also because of the two startups.

I: So one is the airplane thing from Hamburg, what's the name?

T: Jetlite

I: And what's the name of the other startup?

T: I don't want to say yet. We have our logo and everything by now, but it's not really settled yet.

I: Couldn't you make the flea market thing even bigger? You only do it once a year now, couldn't it be like a real platform or something?

T: It's just so much work. I don't have any employees in my foundation, I don't have any overhead, but I'm thinking about it. I'm thinking about whether it would maybe time to hire somebody. I have a lot of donations per year by now, so maybe I could afford it, but I'm a little afraid of it. At the moment, everybody who works for me does also a little bit of charity along the way, that's how it works right now. So my online and Social Media guy takes care of the posts, my agent takes care about everything that has to do with Africa...

I: So that means you do have your own guy for Social Media?

T: Yeah...almost every contract has specifics about on what day at what time I have to post something. I'd forget about it without him. And my agents don't understand the whole thing either, it's just such a new thing. 

I: So there's this one person, he's in...Berlin?

T: New York.

I: And his job is to be your [inaudible]? 

T: I also do a lot of stuff on Facebook and Twitter for my foundation. But it's really mainly so we don't forget that I'm supposed to post something on this or that day. I don't really want to take care about all of this myself. I could do so much more, I could have so many more followers if I was on the phone all day. But I don't really feel like doing that. 

I: And what's the most important platform for you, Instagram?

T: I think Instagram, yes. What clients ask for and want, and the whole thing about which time blablabla, that's always Instagram.

I: So Facebook and Twitter aren't so important?

T: Twitter is important when it comes to charity. I post a lot there when I'm at the UN for example and have a meeting there, I tweet a lot.

I: What's that supposed to mean, "when I'm at the UN", what do you do there? [I was actually cheering for him here, even though I was a little annoyed by him at some points earlier in the interview, but here Toni does make it sound as if she's at the UN like once a week and a regular at their meetings, lol.]

T: The UN invites me for meetings every once in a while...my stomach is growling, I hope you don't hear that...especially for the Women's Week in March, they like what I do, so they often invite me to take part in the discussions, listen to the talks, post about it...yeah, it's fascinating. Especially the African House invites me often. 

I: It's really crazy what kind of life you built for yourself.

T: It's so complex.

I: Who's your advisor? Your agent? Does she say: "Look, the UN requested you"?

T: A lot of different people. I think our main issue ... there aren't any issues or fights normally, but if there are any, it's really about delegating...who is doing what. Like. "I forgot that post", or "The UN sent a request, why did nobody notice?" Sometimes it was a DM on my Instagram and I didn't see it, or my agent was just overwhelmed with a thousand things, and it's normally not something she takes care about. Or some people from a film that wants me write to my Mum, because they don't really know which agent to contact. So I don't necessarily want more people. But on the other hand it would be cool to be able to make each thing in my life even bigger. I could do a lot more modeling, I could completely focus on acting and move to LA, I could exclusively work on the flea market and involve more clients and brands, I could be UN ambassador...

I: I mean, it's obvious that all of this doesn't come from your looks alone. I think it became clear in this podcast that you're a good-looking woman, obviously.

T: [inaudible] ... Will you put a picture next to the podcast? I hope not.

I: No, but people can google you, and it's obvious that a VS model is probably good-looking. But where does all your energy for the other projects come from. Do you have any inspirational figure or anything?

T: I don't know...I've always had a lot of energy. The people traveling with me are always like: "Ohhh, please stop it for a second," always. Everybody who travels with me somehow gets ill after a week, or doesn't want to do anything in the evenings...after a week of traveling with me, most people are dead.

Part V - Podcast Interview: On meeting celebs

I: Do you read a lot?

T: Not really. Mostly music for me. I'm a huge fanatic when it comes to music. I listen to music all day long. I love concerts.

I: What do you listen to?

T: African music, actually. I'm very African by heart. I listen to African music, and drums, a lot of music from Ghana, Namibia, Tansania.

I: Basically what they categorize as "World Music" on airplanes?

T: No, it's actually really good music. But I also listen to a lot of [didn't understand], a lot of Rihanna, a lot of Beyonce, I'm the biggest Beyonce fan.

I: Do know them in person, too?

T: I actually got to know her, and that was probably the most beautiful day in my life.

I: Where was that?

T: At the Met Ball. I don't know if you know that music video with 3 other models in it, Joan, Chanel, and Jourdan, all friends of mine, and I was at the Met Ball a few years ago and was sitting at the table with Chanel and Jourdan Dunn, and they had just done the video with her, and then she came in, with Kim in front of her and Jay-Z next to her, and she said hello to Jourdan, and I - I'm really the biggest Beyonce fan, always have been, I love how she dances, I love her choreos, I'm also very good friends with one of her background dancers, who has to tell me every day what happened with her, whether she was late, or what she ate, she tells me everything from backstage; anyways, so Beyonce came over and said hello to Jourdan, and I was so very nervous, I thought she would just walk past me, or maybe I'd say hello, but the poor thing has to shake like 20 000 hands, but then she approached me and touched my shoulder and was like: "Hey Toni", and I was like "Hi, I'm Toni", and she's like: "I know", I'm like "Waaahh, hi", and she's like "No, I know", and then she actually said "I would have loved to have you for the video, but it didn't work out", I was like: [shocked silence], I was like: "No way" while thinking at the same time "Fuck, why didn't it work out, which agent do I have to yell at", I was so angry.  And the girls next to me just keep eating normally, and I thought: "I'd love to have my best friend here who can scream with me on the inside about what just happened". Anyway, the video was only with girls of color, so it actually made complete sense that I didn't fit in aesthetically. But the fact that she knew my name and would have maybe considered me for her video, it totally made my life. Ever since, I've been able to sleep very well each night. [laughs]

I: So there are women that inspire you?

T: Yes, Beyonce is my absolute...I don't know how this woman does it, I think she's the most talented woman on the planet, by far. I think she's sososo talented. I also love going to her concerts. I follow her through Germany when...

I: Also things that she does besides music?

T: She had a project with Burundi once, but honestly...what she does with her music is enough for me, she gives me so much energy, no matter if it's about my job, or if I have to fall asleep on the airplane, or if it's about a breakup, her music means so much to me. 

I: I used to be the biggest Jay-Z fan, so...

T: Really!? Have you ever been to a concert of the two of them?

I: Not together, no.

T: I like him, too. I mean, if he makes her the way she is now, and gives her the energy, then I like him too. But at concerts, I'm always like: Ok, Jay, leave my baby alone. ... He's a little lame, he doesn't dance like her. And my friend always says he always forgets his lyrics. In all rehearsals, he's like [mumbling].

I: When you see them together, do you think...I mean, they are super A-List, influencers...

T: But she really is the sweetest person. I've met her more than once, she's really nice and quiet. My friend says she's tough to work with, she rewatches every show in her trailer afterwards and criticizes everybody, every dancer, every musician, herself, everything. She's a perfectionist. She wouldn't be who she is otherwise. But personally, from what I heard and from what I experienced, she's really...just nice and sweet. And I really experienced it otherwise with other celebs. But it's not really about that, it's really mainly about her music and her stage performance for me. 

I: Are there any other people who are very impactful to you?

T: I saw Julia Roberts once at an Oscar party, my jaw dropped. She was in a corner talking to Meryl Streep. 

I: And you're standing there thinking: What am I actually doing her?

T: Yeah, I was like: Do I go to the bathroom? Or do I bump into her 'accidentally'? No, just kidding. But all of my idols are women. I'm not that interested in men. 

I: But listening to which celebs you know...I mean, that's like, real, and you have some sort of relationship to so many famous people, like Karlie Kloss - is that just because of your job?

T: Karlie and I both started out at Calvin. We really grew up together. 

I: Okay, so it's really a grown relationship?

T: I was running around with her mom all the time, because my mom couldn't be there, so hers was there, her teachers were there, we lived together in Paris during Fashion Week, she was really...when it comes to the fashion world, she's my best friend. All of the other people...one just knows them, you know?

I: "One just know them", I mean, our listeners and I don't. So how does it work, you're at a party doing small talk with them?

T: Yeah, one just says hello to each other.

I: And then people just get like a little drunk and start talking?

T: Yeah, then you talk a little, and on the morning after you think: "Crazy, yesterday I..."

I: Do you drink alcohol?

T: Yes. [almost sounds a little ashamed] How's the guy from Bohemian Rhapsody called again? I talked with him for a long time at this year's Oscar party, and I only realized afterwards that he was carrying his Oscar the whole time. What's his name again? ... Rami Malek.

I: You're kidding me. 

T: I'm really...Madonna's party is by far the best.

I: [loud, almost disbelieving laughter]

T: She always has really good dancers. And I usually just dance with her dancers then. I tend to forget that all of the other people are there, too. But the focus is really on having fun.

I: So you don't really care about that, then?

T: I don't want to be annoying, I've never been so star-struck that I desperately wanted to talk to somebody. [LOL, after raving about Beyonce for half an hour] It's more like: Oh, crazy, J.Lo, cool. I was sitting on her fur, accidentally, and then, what's his name, A Rod came to me, and was like: "Excuse me", and pulled the fur out from beneath me, it was so soft, like a thick, white mink, and she was just looking at me, I was like, "Hey, Jerry [?]", because my friend new her, so I had said hello to her before, but then he came over and pulled the fur away and I was really angry at first because it was so soft, and he was like: "That's my wife's...uhm...fur." I'm like: "Oops, I'm so sorry". I was sitting on that fur all night long. Those parties are always nice, everybody's there.

I: So, as opposed to me for example, you're really totally used to it, you grew up in that kind of environment, and it's nothing special, you just think: Ok, it's J.Lo, whatever?

T: I think so, yes. For me it's only something special when Beyonce, for example, is sweet to me. Because I adore her so much. Maybe that's the point, I don't adore a lot of people. I never had like posters in my room growing up. 

I: Michelle Obama?

T: I met her husband a few years ago and told him how much I adored his wife, but I've never met her. But we have very similar initiatives. 

I: That's a first on this podcast. You're the first one to say: Michelle Obama? Oh, I met her husband.

T: Michelle is more important to me than Barack. Eva met him too. We were in Wiesbaden at a reception, and she always wanted to take pictures of us, and I only heard the secret service say: "Ma'm, you cannot go through her, you have to stop taking pictures", and she had set as her goal to get a pic of Barack and me, so she kept trying to take pictures, and he saw how she's fighting with the secret service, it was a private dinner... I was introduced to him, fortunately, somebody else did that, and he was like: "Is this your agent?", and I was like: "Yeah, that's my agent", like: Sorry she's so annoying, and he said to all of the people that everything was cool, said hello to her, and was like: "You're a beautiful young lady, both of you, very special young women", with his deep voice, and I was like: aaah. And afterwards both of us were like: We need to use the bathroom. And we went to the bathroom, and both of us like: aaaah. He was so sweet, so nice. Really somebody, like, when somebody's annoying at the table, he doesn't say "Go away", he says: "Hey, who are you? Come here!".

I: That was in Wiesbaden...?

T: Now I'm telling all of these celebrity stories as if I were... yes, in Wiesbaden, at an award ceremony, he was awarded some prize, what was the name again...

I: And then you're invited? Or do you get payed for being there?

T: No, I would always go there without pay. There are so many interesting things. I do so many things I don't get one cent for. I would say almost 50% of the things, on magazines or at events, I go there because it's good for me or because I'm interested in doing it. And meanwhile I'm like: Wow, that's an honor. Wow, I want to meet this person. It hasn't always been like that. I didn't understand much when I was younger. I was more like: "Oh no, I have to go there."

I: And the Oscars``

T: Oscars? Interesting for me. There are a lot of people I'm interested in, for example when I get to know a director I'll be doing a casting with soon... it would be cool if knew me already. So that's good for what I want to be doing. But I didn't think like that 5 years ago. 5 years ago I was like: "I'm thirsty, I want to go home, where's my car..." [spoken with an annoyed voice]. Now I'm much more present. I now a lot better how lucky I am. 

I: We've been talking for a very long time now.

T: Are all of your podcasts that long?

I: No, usually not.

T: So you can cut out half of what I said. Everything I said about my ex-boyfriends. Everything you heard about my exes is not true! [laughter]

I: And your current boyfriend, how long have you been together?

T: No, we won't be talking about him too now! We talked enough about exes.

I would love to hear everybody's opinion on the interview. I really enjoyed it generally, I thought there were very interesting parts and bits of information, but I was a little disappointed by the last part. I think she really got a little carried away by her celebrity stories, and she ended up sounding a little full of herself. It seems very clear that she's not a regular at A-List celeb parties (outside of the fashion world), so of course it's something special for her to be sitting on J.Lo's fur, but she desperately wants to make it sound as if it wasn't anything at all for her. I think the guy was already cringing a little, and she just keeps going with one story after another, topped by the story about meeting Obama, whom she calls "Barack", which is like...you met him once, and he's the effing former President of the United States, he's not Barack for you, come on. Also comparing her initiative to Michelle Obama's...it might be true thematically, but it doesn't really make her sound very modest...

For me, the most interesting thing was about instagram. I'm sure her friend Kevin is helping her. I have not seen anything like that in the last part ... for so many years so many great stories have accumulated. And I can understand her (I am a journalist) that you are not interested in everyone, in many of them youre simply not interested, and you think, damn it, I’d rather get out of here. I understand her position. Well, when you meet famous people whom you adore, you can full time fan girl. For me, not every president is the coolest, although I should show respect. Perhaps the whole thing in the mentality) I did not see anything narcissist here.