Bellazon

Daul Kim
Thumbnail

chrisis511

Daul Kim IMed With a Friend About a Physically Abusive Boyfriend Hours Before Her Death

11/24/09 at 4:20 PM Comment 11Comment 11Comments

Daul in a September 2009 Japanese Vogue editorial.

The Daily Beast reports that Daul Kim, who was found dead in her Paris apartment last week in an apparent suicide, instant-messaged with a close friend on the morning of Thursday, November 19, just hours before her death.

She was depressed, she wrote, according to a transcript of the chat seen by The Daily Beast. She and her boyfriend had just had another brutal physical fight. She’d punched him in the face; he’d yanked her hair. But she was afraid to leave him, afraid to suffer the agony of being apart. The last time they separated, she hadn’t been able to eat, dropping from 112 to 99 lbs. Her friend begged her to leave town, book a job, call her mother. No, she said. She’d miss her dog. She ended the conversation abruptly, saying she was going off to clean the house.

Hours later, her body was discovered by her boyfriend. This week, Kim's family closed her blog to the public and questioned whether her death was really a suicide. Concerns have been raised over how quickly French authorities came to this hypothesis.

Some are speculating about the effect her Korean background may have had on her emotional well-being. The Daily Beast continues:

“Daul was the face of Korea on a worldwide scale, and when someone represents Korea on that level, there is pressure,” says Joy Yoon, Kim’s friend and a fellow Korean. “Though Daul had an extremely bright future ahead of her, I don’t think she could cut loose from her background and the pressures of it. The loneliness she must have felt must have been suffocating. Did her agencies really have her best interests at heart? I know she wanted stability and somewhat of a normal life and even complained about it. Isn’t that a sign? A cry for help?”

The model is said to have left a suicide note.

Read more: Daul Kim IMed With a Friend About a Physically Abusive Boyfriend Hours Before Her Death -- The Cut

..that breaks my heart

Daul Kim Said to Have Left a Suicide Note

11/24/09 at 11:10 AM Comment 10Comment 10Comments

Backstage at Erin Wasson's spring 2010 RVCA show.Photo: Imaxtree

Last week, 20-year-old model Daul Kim was found hanged in her Paris apartment. Police have said they believe she committed suicide, and new details in the case emerge each day. Paris Match reports that authorities working on the case say Kim left a suicide note. French gossip publication Le Parisien reports that Kim's father doesn't believe the model killed herself. An autopsy will be performed today, as is standard procedure for these types of deaths. Those results could be known by the end of this week. Kim's blog, which was viewable to the public last week, remains blocked from public view.

Read more: Daul Kim Said to Have Left a Suicide Note -- The Cut

Daul Kim IMed With a Friend About a Physically Abusive Boyfriend Hours Before Her Death

11/24/09 at 4:20 PM Comment 11Comment 11Comments

Daul in a September 2009 Japanese Vogue editorial.

The Daily Beast reports that Daul Kim, who was found dead in her Paris apartment last week in an apparent suicide, instant-messaged with a close friend on the morning of Thursday, November 19, just hours before her death.

She was depressed, she wrote, according to a transcript of the chat seen by The Daily Beast. She and her boyfriend had just had another brutal physical fight. She’d punched him in the face; he’d yanked her hair. But she was afraid to leave him, afraid to suffer the agony of being apart. The last time they separated, she hadn’t been able to eat, dropping from 112 to 99 lbs. Her friend begged her to leave town, book a job, call her mother. No, she said. She’d miss her dog. She ended the conversation abruptly, saying she was going off to clean the house.

Hours later, her body was discovered by her boyfriend. This week, Kim's family closed her blog to the public and questioned whether her death was really a suicide. Concerns have been raised over how quickly French authorities came to this hypothesis.

Some are speculating about the effect her Korean background may have had on her emotional well-being. The Daily Beast continues:

“Daul was the face of Korea on a worldwide scale, and when someone represents Korea on that level, there is pressure,” says Joy Yoon, Kim’s friend and a fellow Korean. “Though Daul had an extremely bright future ahead of her, I don’t think she could cut loose from her background and the pressures of it. The loneliness she must have felt must have been suffocating. Did her agencies really have her best interests at heart? I know she wanted stability and somewhat of a normal life and even complained about it. Isn’t that a sign? A cry for help?”

The model is said to have left a suicide note.

Read more: Daul Kim IMed With a Friend About a Physically Abusive Boyfriend Hours Before Her Death -- The Cut

..that breaks my heart

Daul Kim Said to Have Left a Suicide Note

11/24/09 at 11:10 AM Comment 10Comment 10Comments

Backstage at Erin Wasson's spring 2010 RVCA show.Photo: Imaxtree

Last week, 20-year-old model Daul Kim was found hanged in her Paris apartment. Police have said they believe she committed suicide, and new details in the case emerge each day. Paris Match reports that authorities working on the case say Kim left a suicide note. French gossip publication Le Parisien reports that Kim's father doesn't believe the model killed herself. An autopsy will be performed today, as is standard procedure for these types of deaths. Those results could be known by the end of this week. Kim's blog, which was viewable to the public last week, remains blocked from public view.

Read more: Daul Kim Said to Have Left a Suicide Note -- The Cut

read more? What was the suicide note about?

Supermodel Daul Kim found hanged after posting web messages

Daul Kim, a South Korean supermodel who starred in a string of high-profile fashion campaigns, has been found dead at her luxury flat in Paris.

By Henry Samuel in Paris

Published: 6:15PM GMT 20 Nov 2009

Her death was discovered after she left a series of messages on a website saying she was "lonely" and "depressed".

Kim, 20, was a regular on catwalks in New York, Milan and Paris was found hanged in her city centre apartment by a friend, according to police.

She had modelled for leading designers, including Chanel, Dries van Noten and Alexander McQueen. Despite her professional success, she had hinted at her desire to end her life in her popular internet blog – a series of poems, photos and thoughts called "I like to Fork Myself".

On October 30, she sounded upbeat: "I left Seoul and I'm in Paris – I'm happy!" Her former home town had, she said, made her "mad, depressed and overworked".

The following day she wrote: "No more running away from something or someone or myself." But her thoughts had apparently darkened by November 5, when she wrote: "I already accepted that I relate to nothing. The more I gain the more lonely it is... I know I'm like a ghost."

And in a final comment on November 18, she posted an entry entitled "Say hi to forever" accompanied by a video of the song I Go Deep by Jim Rivers, a British DJ artist.

One internet link redirects to a website on Joy Division, whose lead singer Ian Curtis hanged himself in 1980.

Raised in Seoul and Singapore, Kim modelled in Asia before making her fashion week debut in Paris in 2007. She most recently appeared during Seoul fashion week in October.

Known for her thick mane of hair, often blond, and her quirkiness, the 5ft 10in model was appreciated for her sense of style. She recently featured in a Topshop commercial for designer Christopher Kane.

Kim was also an accomplished painter and video filmmaker who had a solo show of her artwork in Seoul.

French commentators pointed to the parallels between her death and that of Lucy Gordon, 28, the British model-turned-actress who hanged herself in May. Like Gordon, who featured in Spider Man 3 and stars as Jane Birkin in an forthcoming film, she was found by a friend in a flat in the trendy 10th arrondissement of Paris.

Bloggers in South Korea mourned her death online with many speculating that she had succumbed to the pressure of high-fashion modelling and a loss of identity.

In one blog post she quotes the American philosopher and essayist Ralph Waldo Emerson, whose ideas are "considered a reaction to a commercial identity; he calls for a return to individual identity".

Kim's mother was expected in Paris yesterday night.

South Korea, which has the highest suicide rate among the 30 nations in the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, has had a string of high-profile suicides in recent months.

Roh Moo-hyun, the former President, jumped to his death in May while under investigation for corruption and the ex-chairman of South Korea's oldest conglomerate killed himself earlier this month. In 2008, Choi Jin-sil, one of the country's top actresses, committed suicide, shortly after a fellow actor did the same. One of South Korea's popular soap opera actresses also killed herself recently.

telegraph.co.uk

I can say only one. Another beautiful, clever and talented girl went away from this world. Not to mention about that she was a successful model. She was, is and she will be in our hearts. We often look at beautiful covers with our favourite models. But we do not know that takes place in their life and their hearts.

I know one, she in the best world

R.I.P.