Bellazon

What's a supermodel for you?

Thiago.

What's a supermodel?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• A model who has been in the cover of Vogue US, Vogue Paris and Vogue Italy.
    • A model with a major contract with a major brand.
    • A model who walks in many runways every season.
    • A famous model. Everybody knows who she is.
    • Other. Say what do you think.
    • Everything above.

But only for VS - well... alright, she did some nice editorials and runway shows, but she was mainly known for VS and that's why she might be a topmodel, but not a supermodel - in my definition.

Exactly! :yes: If Selita had a TV show she would get famous too :rofl:

And hyperion I agree with you!

And that's exactly my point why she isn't a supermodel. She's just a famous TV hoster not a famous model.

Don't be ridiculous! The only reason she could get gigs hosting TV is because she was a famous model first.

I agree, she modeled first, became a renowned supermodel known by everyone, and that supermodel status made her get those other tv jobs. No one in U.S and even outside of U.S regards her as a model, everyone calls her a supermodel. She is in that league without doing much of the straight path editorials and runways. So what if she used an alternate path of VS or Sports Illustrated, it worked for her and made her famous, probably more so than 99.9% of models out there. Same goes for Heidi. High fashion is important but in some cases its not a big criteria.

Heidi isn't a supermodel for me, but Gisele is.

I think the only model that has opened all the big shows, has been on the cover of all the big magazines, has a major contract is Gisele? :blink:

I forgot about Kate Moss? Has she been in all of those things?

i think there're 2 differents definitions for supermodels :

1st is, like the supermodels from the 90s, when the models were huge in the media everywhere in the world, while being huge in the fashion scene

and the 2nd one is a model who is just "huge" in the media (actually only in USA) like the VS girls or Petra and they're almost all pretty "insignificant" on the fashion scene anymore (just commercial model)

@Thiago: Yeah, I did say that, didn't I? :p Heidi is not a supermodel in my opinion, neither is Tyra, but Gisele is. (and she's one of the girls who resembles the first definition at least a bit)

And Kate might be one as well, sadly enough.

Heidi has been on the cover of Vogue, Elle, Glamour and many other magazines. She has a big contract with a major label (Victoria's Secret). She's done runway shows. She is one of the most widely known models in the world and one of the wealthiest. What exactly prevents her from being a supermodel in your eyes?

Heidi has been on the cover of Vogue, Elle, Glamour and many other magazines. She has a big contract with a major label (Victoria's Secret). She's done runway shows. She is one of the most widely known models in the world and one of the wealthiest. What exactly prevents her from being a supermodel in your eyes?

The thing is not that she has been in the cover of Vogue even Coco rocha has :rofl: but the thing is how many times and which Vogue was that? And what big runways has she walked for?

well for me is the 4th option. someone well known, that even people that are not interest in the fashion world know who they are that's what i considered a supermodel example kate moss, gia carangi, tyra bank, gisele bundchen, heidie klum, christy turlington

The thing is not that she has been in the cover of Vogue even Coco rocha has :rofl: but the thing is how many times and which Vogue was that? And what big runways has she walked for?

I admit she hasn't done any runway in the last year, but she has been in Vogue more than once in her career. How many times must a model appear in Vogue before it counts? By your own admission, Coco Rocha has appeared on the cover of Vogue but is not a supermodel, so clearly one needs something more to earn that title. Something like worldwide fame and money perhaps?

I undertand she hasn't :yes: She is well-paid by VS and she doesn't need to do much runway. Has she ever been in the cover of vogue US, Paris or Italy? In the cover of Numero? Coco Rocha is NOT a supermodel at all, Heidi is a big model because she has a VS contract, she owns a lot of money and she's famous but what big campaigns has she done?

I undertand she hasn't :yes: She is well-paid by VS and she doesn't need to do much runway. Has she ever been in the cover of vogue US, Paris or Italy? In the cover of Numero? Coco Rocha is NOT a supermodel at all, Heidi is a big model because she has a VS contract, she owns a lot of money and she's famous but what big campaigns has she done?

post-2141-1181250932_thumb.jpg

The other one I was thinking of was Vogue Germany, which I guess "doesn't count". But, my vote is that supermodel status is based on fame, while yours seems to be based on number of Vogue and runway appearances. Heidi will always be a supermodel in my book.

EDIT: She's also been on the cover of Vogue Spain. She's done campaigns for H & M, Liz Claiborne, Abercrombie & Fitch, and recently became the spokesmodel for Jordache - just to name a few.

How many times must a model appear in Vogue before it counts? By your own admission, Coco Rocha has appeared on the cover of Vogue but is not a supermodel, so clearly one needs something more to earn that title.

ThiagoMello clearly doesn't have his argument straight. :laugh:

How many times must a model appear in Vogue before it counts? By your own admission, Coco Rocha has appeared on the cover of Vogue but is not a supermodel, so clearly one needs something more to earn that title.

ThiagoMello clearly doesn't have his argument straight. :laugh:

<_< I was saying it is NOT only about covers because even Coco has been there and she is NOT a supermodel.

As I said before I DO think Heidi is a supermodel when I agreed with Hyperion, she has been in important covers, she has a major contract and she's very famous, she was famous before project runway :yes: I was just wanting to know more about her with ez_c since he's her fan.