Bellazon

Josie Maran

It's a Woman's World

3e9cae8f8171.jpg

Women are great. Having female friends is fantastic. Sisters are sublime. Mothers are magical. Daughters are delightful.

This is a reminder to love your friends, your mothers, your daughters, your selves. Women are beautiful, inside and out. We need to tend to our bodies and tend to our souls. We need to remind ourselves of the power and humanity that comes from love and friendship and nurturing. Embrace your feminine spirit!!

732e8ed1d391.jpg

Interview

Josie Maran is Changing the World One Lipstick Tube at a Time

Josie Maran is just a slip of a person, but she’s trying to turn the beauty behemoth around. The former Maybelline spokesmodel is pioneering a planet-friendly way of looking good, making her three-year-old company, Josie Maran Cosmetics, a proving ground for toxin-free color and skin care products. Here, she tells us about her beauty business makeover.

How did you get interested in sustainability?

I come from a family that’s always been very aware in terms of taking care of the planet. My dad grew up very socially conscious—a whole clan of protesters, trying to change things for the better—and the way he chose to give back was by building in an eco-conscious way. You know, putting up houses that get as much energy as possible from the sun, and are made from wood from sustainable forests, and so on. And on my mom’s side, she came from a really big family, with twelve brothers and sisters, so she always emphasized the need to be creative with our resources. Her approach was, how do we find a way to reuse this? Long story short, I honestly can’t remember a time when those "green values" weren’t a part of my life.

What inspired you to launch your company?

The epiphany happened around the time I got pregnant. I mean, as much as those sustainable ideals are floating around your head, it just hits you on a deeper level when you’re about to have a kid. And from a purely business perspective, I saw an opening. Sustainability wasn’t really on the cosmetics industry radar, yet. There was room for something new.

Read more about Josie after the jump.

Given that you wanted to create "something new," was it hard to find people to help you start your business?

I had a bit of luck in that regard, because my aunt has written for companies like Ben & Jerry’s and Smith & Hawken, and she’s really tapped into that network of socially active companies. So, I emailed her and said, "I’m going to change the world with lipstick!" She helped connect me. And once you’re networked in, it’s really inspiring, because you realize that there are people who have been doing this for awhile, marrying business and conscience, and they’re really good at it. So, I did have a foundation to build on.

What's the toughest thing about making eco-friendly beauty products?

I’m constantly reformulating. Figuring out how healthy an ingredient is can be hard, and then sometimes, just when I think I’ve got a formula down, more research comes out. I have a green chemist helping me out, and hopefully, the formulas I have now will stand up. But if they don’t, I’ll reformulate. Again.

Do you feel like you’re fighting the preconception that "eco" beauty products are kind of, you know, ugh?

I knew when I started that I didn’t want to launch a line of products that felt muddy or didn’t have any excitement to them, that’s for sure. There are synthetics out there that give tons of different pigment and last forever, and what I sell has to compete—which goes back to the formulation issue, because it’s not enough for Josie Maran foundation, say, to be good for you and good for the planet. The stuff has to work. The makeup has to be healthy and glamorous.

Is there anyone you look to, business-wise, for inspiration?

Anita Roddick is my hero. She started The Body Shop, and if I ever need to be reminded of the passion—and the balls—that’s required of me if I’m really going to do something different with this line, I just re-read her books. She makes me remember that I’m on a mission. Sometimes, it’s easy to get lost in, like, making things pretty and forget about the fact that this is about changing the world. This is harder than pretty. But it’s more exciting, too.