Bellazon

Eugenia Mandzhieva
Thumbnail

airplane787

Trace Magazine, May 2007:

When Eugenia Mandzhieva tells people she’s Russian the response is always the same: “What?” or “Really?” Specifically, Eugenia is from The Republic of Kalmykia, Europe’s only Buddhist nation. Descendants of the people of West Mongolia, the Kalmyks migrated to this nation near the Caspian Sea over 400 years ago. Eugenia has an exotic charm not easily missed, and it is no surprise that she was discovered by a modeling agency while visiting Moscow last December.

“Modeling opens the door to other countries and cultures, other people. You only get one life so why not live it to the fullest,” says the beauty. Doing just that, Eugenia lives between Paris, where City management represents her, and New York where she is signed with the Trump Agency. “I love both cities because of the creative energy,” she muses. “And I work a lot in both places.” In less than seven months, she has booked shows for Marc Jacobs, Dolce and Gabbana, Tuleh, Karl Lagerfeld, Yohji Yamamoto, Kenzo, and Valentino. “Sometimes I am working so much I have no time to eat, sleep or call my mother… but then she will ring me and say ‘I saw you on TV’ and that is so cool!”

Eugenia seems as enamored with the fashion world as it is with her. She smiles profusely when describing the runway experience, “You feel courage and energy. You get to the end of the runway and hear click, click, click and feel so nice.”

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...