Bellazon

Mischa Barton

Thu, 16 July 2009

Mischa Barton Held Under Psychiatric Hold

It was reported earlier today that Mischa Barton was removed from her home on Wednesday afternoon (July 15).

Access Hollywood is now reporting that the 23-year-old actress was placed under an involuntary psychiatric hold and transferred to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center on Wednesday evening. According to Wiki, someone can be held involuntary if s/he us deemed to have a mental disorder that makes them a danger to him or her self, and/or others and/or gravely disabled. Britney Spears was held involuntarily twice in Los Angeles in January 2008.

mischa_barton_psychatric_hold.jpg

Mischa Placed Under Psychiatric Hold

On Wednesday, Mischa Barton was transferred to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and allegedly placed under an involuntary psychiatric hold after she was removed from her home by police, Access Hollywood reports. This same code was used to hold Britney Spears twice in Los Angeles in January 2008.

Barton was "removed from her home" by police after having a "freak out," a LAPD spokesperson told Us Weekly. Officer April Harding said she and fellow officers responded to "a medical issue" after Barton called them herself.

"We responded to her home last night on a medical issue. We assisted with it. She was removed from her home," Officer Harding said.

Harding said there wasn't a 911 call, and that she was not sure if Barton was in distress. When asked if the actress was cooperative, Harding said, "I guess." Harding did not release details on where Barton was taken, citing California privacy laws.

Earlier today, PEOPLE reported that "police were involved due to Ms. Barton's celebrity status, to safely transfer her to medical treatment as per doctor's orders," her friend Craig Schneider said. He also added, Barton is "okay and resting."

Barton will skip the New York City premiere of her movie 'Homecoming' on Thursday night, a rep for the actress confirmed. Producer Austin Stark tells PEOPLE, "I wish her all the best. First and foremost, we want her to get healthy again. It's obvious we'd like her to support the movie and be here, but we hope she gets better."

Stark adds, "When she was on-set, she acted like a professional. I honestly had no complaints. She struck me as a nice young girl, she never said anything mean to anyone, and she wasn't late on-set or anything like that."

In 2008, the 'O.C.' actress checked into rehab after she was charged with DUI and marijuana possession. She was sentenced to 36 months probation, told to attend alcohol education classes and pay a fine.

A friend of the actress told PEOPLE, "She has been dealing with a lot of personal issues. I don't know if she really ever gave up some of the bad habits that had gotten out of control a couple years back."

Source

Mischa Barton on a Destructive Path, Says Pal

News of Mischa Barton's hospitalization has friends worried about her health – though some say they saw this coming.

"She has been on a destructive path for a while now," a friend of the actress tells PEOPLE. "Her drug and alcohol [use] has gotten to a point where it drove people away."

The star of The O.C., 23, who sources say has been "dealing with a lot of personal issues," is under psychiatric evaluation at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles after calling police with a health problem on Wednesday.

"I don't think she knows her limits," adds the pal.

But Barton has battled demons before: She pleaded no contest to drunken driving in April 2008. Later, she called the incident a low point and said she was disappointed in herself. In July 2008, she told Marie Claire magazine that she'd sought treatment for her problems.

"I wanted to prove to the court that I would take it completely seriously," she said, "so I went to rehab to prove I was sober."

It's not exactly clear what led the young star to be hospitalized this week, but experts say Barton could be discharged by Saturday afternoon if she demands to be released or doctors find her to be stable. If her condition doesn't improve, they can request an additional 14-day hold.

source:People.com

• 2 weeks later...