Bellazon

General gaming talk

Enrico_sw

"The Last Wish"- this is the Triss or Yenn moment in the game:

(82) Witcher 3 Complete Walkthrough Part 62 All quests Death March (all side quests + commentary) - YouTube

I think CDPR deliberately set it up to make it a hard choice.  You have Yenn being difficult all throughout Skellige.  Most readers of the novels would choose Yenn but gamers probably lean towards Triss as she's a sweetheart in the game.

The discussion afterward is hugely important.  It is about what happens to Yenn/Geralt/Ciri right after the novels, and is invented by CDPR to segway into Witcher 1.  This incident is teased a bit in Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 but this discussion clarifies important points that aren't revealed there.  Ultimately, even with all these lore bits the "incident" is intentionally kept mysterious.  Players end the W3 knowing little more about Eredin and the Wild Hunt than what is in the novels.  It was certainly possible for CDPR to expand these subjects massively.

65th hour- return to Kaer Morhen after 20 hours in Skellige.

The "Uma" character has no relation to anything in the novels.

Lambert is such an asshole at Kaer Morhen, so much so that he would be polarizing if CDPR chose him as the lead in Witcher 4.  Keira is also somewhat polarizing due to her deceptions.

The trolls are brilliantly implemented throughout the game, as comedic relief and taken from the novels.  However, the "rock trolls" are definitely inspired by the trolls in Tolkein.  There are more far more trolls in the game than in the novels.

(84) Witcher 3 Complete Walkthrough Part 64 All quests Death March (all side quests + commentary) - YouTube

(87) Witcher 3 Complete Walkthrough Part 72 All quests Death March (all side quests + commentary) - YouTube

Some big revelations, CPDR's continuation of the novels.

The " Isle of Mists" is a clear reference to the island "where the apple trees bloom eternal" from the final novel.  It is same-same but different, and not related.  The concept of a magical island is from Arthurian lore, which Sapkowski was inspired by, especially for his book 7.  Also the gang of Ciri's friends is also a clear reference to the rats, except this group of wanderers are mischievous rather than bloodthirty and damaged.

A major retconn is the relationship between Avallach and Ciri.  It is extremely abrupt and jarring at first. Avallach was strange figure.  Compared to Eredin he was benign but was extremely obsessed with Ciri's blood (not the person, as noted in the game) for the 'greater good' and for self serving reasons. He is untrustworthy but powerful character in the novels, which is noted by Geralt in the game.  Really someone that is neither an enemy nor a friend, and someone that should be worked with more like a business deal.  

A way that CDPR could have segwayed relationship better was to make Avallach more humanized and sympathetic of a character with a Geralt- Avallach quest. Turn him towards being a friend. 

CIRI, The Child of Destiny - Archive (the-comic.org)

It is also significant that CPDR does not remove the Yenn/Geralt kiss at the reunion whether or not the player choses Triss or Yenn paths, and keeps Geralt's reaction as ambiguous.   This is a clear reference for readers of the novel.  

Really neat little details that say a lot about what CDPR's concept for Triss was.

part of a big series that digs up important lore bits:

(88) Witcher 3: Details You Missed - YouTube

Triss' alternate outfit makes her face the prettiest in the game.

Ciri's alternate outfit makes her less attractive but it fits better with the game's atmosphere.

Both of Yenn's outfits are equally good.

6 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

I have lower expectations for this new game this time... I don't want to be overhyped (I remember Cyberpunk) and I don't know if they'll manage to pull off a good story. Geralt is a great character, the Witcher won't be the same without him.

Also, I fear what the Zeitgeist may infect most of the new video games... Studios have to satisfy the Anglo-Saxon "political impulses" nowadays, because there's an army of journalists / twitter users who scream if they don't.

Me too actually.  Witcher 3 is a genius level masterpiece, best game ever made.  I feel like it is unlikely that they will find a way to top or rival W3.   I hope that they find someone as good as Doug Cockle/Geralt. I think that they will definitely improve the combat gameplay to at least For honor/Elden Ring standards.  Back in 2015 the W3 combat and enemies was noted as being influenced by Dark Souls.  

It seems to me that W3 would have been seen as 'problematic' if it was released today due to all the masculinity and sex, and lack of black people.  

As I am working my way through it, the volume and quality, and detail is staggering.  I think if you miss Witcher you could just play W3 again.  The game is so long (150 hours plus) that I have already forgotten a lot of stuff, particularly the side quests.  W4 will take years to develop.

(92) Witcher 3 Complete Walkthrough Part 81 All quests Death March (all side quests + commentary) - YouTube

81 out of 87 for the base game.

This is a nice, relaxing sequence with a lot of reunions in the final act of the story

(92) Witcher 3 Complete Walkthrough Part 82 All quests Death March (all side quests + commentary) - YouTube

Abbe Fariah "count of Monte Cristo" in the Witcher 3.  CPDR also has Djistra quote Shakespeare LOl.

So the base game, with a 100% perfect playthrough is approx. 100 hours long.  The expansions are an additional 53 hours.

Kaer Morhen: 5 hours

White Orchard: 10 hours

Skellige: 25 hours

Novigrad, Oxenfurt and Velen: 60 hours

Hearts of Stone: 15 hours

Blood and Wine: 38 hours

A lot of Novigrad/Oxenfurt quests come across as being influenced by Charles Dickens and other English authors.

(93) The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Sile de Tansarville's Fate (both versions) - YouTube

The significance of Sile (Books and Witcher 2) makes more sense now.  It is interesting that CDPR write an ending for her, and in-line with Sapkowski's views.

(94) Witcher 3 Complete Walkthrough Part 84 All quests Death March (all side quests + commentary) - YouTube

1:32  love the quip at the end!

Originally, a lot of Triss romance scenes were not included in the game.  Then the playbase complained about this, and these new Triss scenes were added.  I like them:

https://youtu.be/UGU8ApMhlSQ

Now that I've reached the ending of the base game it is evident that Ciri's

Spoiler

visits to her friends were her premeditated goodbye to the world, as she anticipated dying to the white frost.

This makes all these reunions that much more significant! 

On 6/30/2022 at 6:47 AM, Cult Icon said:

I think that they will definitely improve the combat gameplay to at least For honor/Elden Ring standards.

I hope so. That's what the W3 missed: a good combat system. The one in the game was too easy. You could just roll away for ever and attack with infinite stamina. The blocking system wasn't very useful. And all the weapons basically behaved the same.

32 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

I hope so. That's what the W3 missed: a good combat system. The one in the game was too easy. You could just roll away for ever and attack with infinite stamina. The blocking system wasn't very useful. And all the weapons basically behaved the same.

Yeah, even though in the novels Geralt uses only swords, for gameplay purposes they could have loosened up that restriction and let him use all sorts of weapons.  A stamina bar would have been helpful.

how do you feel about the looting system?  the never-ending amount of loot everywhere and all the inventory management.  I suspect that it is a way for CDPR to get the player invested in exploring and observing their artwork.  It is also funny how Geralt can do a quest for a peasant and then immediately start looting his house lol.

If someone decides to loot everything and manage their armor/weapons, they would end up getting very overpowered and 2-shot most enemies.