Bellazon

General gaming talk

Enrico_sw

28 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

^ one of my favorite games (before Bethesda butchered it). I'm very cautious with Hollywood though... I don't trust them any more, they're just a mediocre political machine.

the visuals and props at least look like what's in the game.  I don't know about the story though.

The trailer looks great but I will reserve judgement until after I have seen a few episodes. The most important thing about Fallout as a game franchise is that tone.

Funny, tongue in cheek but with still room for moments of real emotional impact.

You can't go too far in either direction or it won't work.

5 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

The trailer looks great but I will reserve judgement until after I have seen a few episodes. The most important thing about Fallout as a game franchise is that tone.

Funny, tongue in cheek but with still room for moments of real emotional impact.

You can't go too far in either direction or it won't work.

Yeah it should not take itself too seriously. 

There's a bunch of young actors in the trailer that don't really give much confidence.  

The Boys works partially due to the good actors.  I just hope it won't turn out to be as bad as Rings of Power

1 minute ago, Cult Icon said:

Yeah it should not take itself too seriously. 

There's a bunch of young actors in the trailer that don't really give much confidence.  

The Boys works partially due to the good actors.  I just hope it won't turn out to be as bad as Rings of Power

I like the lead! At least in the other stuff I have seen her in like Yellowjackets and Army of the Dead.

And I love Walton Goggins and he is an inspired casting as a ghoul (I guess he will be some variation on Hancock from Fallout 4).

I do think it's clear from the props and visual style at least that Nolan & co like the games and are well-versed in them. I hope this also extends to the writing.

8 minutes ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

I like the lead! At least in the other stuff I have seen her in like Yellowjackets and Army of the Dead.

And I love Walton Goggins and he is an inspired casting as a ghoul (I guess he will be some variation on Hancock from Fallout 4).

I do think it's clear from the props and visual style at least that Nolan & co like the games and are well-versed in them. I hope this also extends to the writing.

I think Nolan did Westworld before this?  S1 of Westworld was great but it quickly got messed up.  I hope the full trailer shows more content than we see here.

On 12/6/2023 at 10:46 AM, SympathysSilhouette said:

Vice City is still my favorite.

After that, I still played San Andreas, but never finished it.

And I briefly played GTA IV but gave up on it much earlier than even San Andreas.

When GTA3 came out it was extremely revolutionary at the time, mind-blowing like Zelda 64 or Mario 64.  I can see how the magic would fade after many installments.  The time gap between GTA 5 and GTA 6 is enormous.

I suppose the later games moved on from other film/tv genres than the Italian mob & scarface.

2 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

@Enrico_sw @SympathysSilhouette

This is a free PDF book with a lot of academic essays on the Psychology on the Witcher, including an essay from Doug Cockle on his process

The Psychgiest of Pop Culture | ETC Press - Carnegie Mellon University (cmu.edu)

That might be interesting. Have you already read it?

On 12/2/2023 at 11:20 PM, Cult Icon said:

@Enrico_sw I think they got the look right (props, etc)

That looks good, but I have hard times trusting Hollywood. They take one of your beloved franchise and, the next thing you know, they infect it with intersectional feminism, race/gender swap, CRT and all these nonsensical follies. I didn't forget everything they did to what we used to love.

Japanese creators are more trustworthy than Hollywood.

6 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

That might be interesting. Have you already read it?

No, I just found it (it was uploaded on witcher reddit).  I will read it later.  It's pretty interesting that all these psychologists wrote essays on the witcher.

The fallout trailer reminds me of Rings of Power.  It looks very slick but it could potentially suck.