Jump to content
Bellazon

Trailers better than the Film


Recommended Posts

Man of Steel, Comic-con 2012 had a timeless trailer. It was better than the official ones. 

 

The music, the timeless themes, the applause, the post-Dark Knight hype, and the sense of possibility.

 

  I still enjoy watching this now:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know for me, Prometheus springs immediately to mind as an example of a film with great promotional material and a middle order end product. The initial teaser in particular was just through-the-roof amazing.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For a secondary nomination, I'd go with Avengers: Age of Ultron. The trailer made it look like James Spader's Ultron would be a genuinely cold and predatory villain, instead the character came off as a rather ill-conceived plot device.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 1:12 PM, Michael* said:

I know for me, Prometheus springs immediately to mind as an example of a film with great promotional material and a middle order end product. The initial teaser in particular was just through-the-roof amazing.

 

 

Remember the prometheus discussion on BZ? Donbot, Jennka, Candlevixen, etc.?  good times.

 

The prometheus trailers generated a great deal of hype on the internet and the hype train was really strong. A lot of fun, too.  

 

I still like Prometheus despite its flaws, which could have been corrected.  The trailer has that critical and fascinating open-endedness that causes one to really speculate on the myriad possibilities.

 

Did you see Covenant?  I thought it sucked, despite some cool bits.  It also sank the possibility of part 3, which it was building towards.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

Remember the prometheus discussion on BZ? Donbot, Jennka, Candlevixen, etc.?  good times.

 

Not that I'm especially big on nostalgia (of any kind, really), but that was the golden age of BZ for me. I missed the boat on that particular conversation though, true to form I didn't end up seeing the film until much, much later. :laugh:

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

I still like Prometheus despite its flaws, which could have been corrected.  The trailer has that critical and fascinating open-endedness that causes one to really speculate on the myriad possibilities.

 

I never thought Prometheus was entirely deserving of the flack it got, however like a lot of prequels it probably tried too hard to answer questions that nobody asked and to establish a "mythology" by mashing together bits of Alien and Aliens, with a touch of Frankenstein mixed in. Taken out of the Alien universe, it could have quite easily stood on its own as a perfectly decent piece of sci-fi.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

Did you see Covenant?  I thought it sucked, despite some cool bits.  It also sank the possibility of part 3, which it was building towards.

 

Yeah. I must confess that not much of Covenant worked for me while it was rolling, although certain things grew on me the more I thought about them afterwards.

 

Overall though, what struck me most about it was how much Scott has seemingly lost interest in the xenomorphs and the horror they bring, in favour of artificial intelligence and the impact it has on humans. So much so that he seems to have started trying to weave the synthetic android themes of Blade Runner into the Alien mythology.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The teaser for Spectre was another good one, but the movie turned out to be decidedly average. The plot device of the bad guy who, while still achieving something close to world domination, really just lives to torture the good guy, and the awkward attempts at knitting seemingly unconnected strands together, was mostly what tanked it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2021 at 6:55 PM, Michael* said:

 

I never thought Prometheus was entirely deserving of the flack it got, however like a lot of prequels it probably tried too hard to answer questions that nobody asked and to establish a "mythology" by mashing together bits of Alien and Aliens, with a touch of Frankenstein mixed in. Taken out of the Alien universe, it could have quite easily stood on its own as a perfectly decent piece of sci-fi.

 

It definitely compromised the original mystery of the Xenomorph.  It is supposed to be kept ambiguous as a cosmic space horror.  The Space Jockey was supposed to an elephant like Alien, not a helmet LOL for a species that look like ancient gods of world civilization.  A big flaw to me was how they cheapened the Engineer from being a potentially fascinating actor in the cosmic drama to being another violent alien villain.

 

It is also funny to me that the the Ridley Scott produced TV show resembles Prometheus in significant ways.

 

In the comics, many of which are very good and never made it to screen (Alien Resurrection resembles the comics most) they don't focus much on the origins of the Xenomorph either.  More like they expand it from ship to the level of a "intergalactic pandemic" as humans are being threatened by spreading Xenomorph infestation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2021 at 6:58 PM, Michael* said:

 

Yeah. I must confess that not much of Covenant worked for me while it was rolling, although certain things grew on me the more I thought about them afterwards.

 

Overall though, what struck me most about it was how much Scott has seemingly lost interest in the xenomorphs and the horror they bring, in favour of artificial intelligence and the impact it has on humans. So much so that he seems to have started trying to weave the synthetic android themes of Blade Runner into the Alien mythology.

 

This is a clever insight, I had not thought of this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...