Bellazon

Cristiano Ronaldo
Thumbnail

persuazn

Villarreal 1-3 Real Madrid

Cristiano Ronaldo matched the Spanish top-flight single-season scoring record with a brace against Villarreal.

The Portugal forward fired in a free-kick three minutes into stoppage time to take his tally to 38 for the season, level with Athletic Bilbao striker Telmo Zarra in 1950/51 and Madrid's own Hugo Sanchez in 1989/90.

Ronaldo's first in the 22nd minute had made it 2-0 to the visitors after Marcelo's opener, and his second restored the two-goal advantage after Ruben Cani had hit back for the hosts.

The record was virtually all that was on the line tonight as Villarreal's now extinguished hopes of finishing third were slim at best, while Madrid have already lost out in the title race to Barcelona.

But goals were clearly on the mind of Madrid as they pushed forward from the start.

Kaka had forced Diego Lopez to tip a shot around the post in the opening minute and they went on to score twice in the early going.

Kaka teed up Marcelo for the first, with the full-back lobbing Lopez to make it 1-0 after 17 minutes.

Ronaldo then fired home a free-kick from the edge of the area after Kaka had been fouled.

They continued to push forward with Ronaldo firing narrowly wide just after the half-hour mark.

The hosts were not seen as an attacking force until first-half stoppage time, when Iker Casillas comfortably held Marco Ruben's shot.

However, they needed only five minutes of the second half to get back in it with Cani finishing from close range.

Ruben then blazed a shot over the bar as they sought what would have been a shock equaliser.

But Madrid gradually gained the upper hand, with Esteban Granero firing over before Pepe nodded narrowly over the top from Xabi Alonso's free-kick into the danger zone.

Mesut Ozil brought another good save out of Lopez in the 71st minute, and the keeper also had to push Ronaldo's lobbed effort out for a corner as the pressure continued to build.

Madrid finally got the third they were looking for three minutes into stoppage time when Carlos Machena fouled Raul Albiol and Ronaldo found the top left-hand corner with his free-kick.

Ronaldo: I'm not obsessed with goals

Cristiano Ronaldo insists he is not obsessed with scoring after matching La Liga's single-season scoring record with a brace in the 3-1 win against Villarreal.

The Real Madrid forward fired in a free-kick three minutes into stoppage time to take his tally to 38 for the season, level with Athletic Bilbao striker Telmo Zarra in 1950/51 and Madrid's own Hugo Sanchez in 1989/90.

Ronaldo's first in the 22nd minute had made it 2-0 to the visitors after Marcelo's opener, and his second restored the two-goal advantage after Ruben Cani had hit back for the hosts.

While he was pleased with the personal achievement, the Portguese claimed he never expected to score that many goals.

"I am very happy about equaling Zarra and Hugo Sanchez's record," enthused the 26-year-old, according to Madrid's official website. "The truth is I didn't expect to score so many goals this year and I feel honored to reach two legends like Zarra and Hugo Sanchez.

"What really matters is that we earned a great victory at a complicated venue. All of us, coach and players alike, want to have a good end to the season, and we're accomplishing this so far.

"I would like to score even more goals against Almeria, but I'm not obsessed about it. I've tried to score from set pieces many times this year, but had been unlucky until now."

The former Manchester United winger has also urged Madrid to continue their good run of form, although they have nothing to play for, with rivals Barcelona having wrapped up the La Liga title.

"I'm happy both on a personal and collective level because the entire team is performing well," added Ronaldo.

"We play at a high level and score many goals. There may be nothing at stake for us any more, but Real Madrid always work hard to win."

Madrid play host to Almeria on Sunday in their final game of the season.

After visiting Town Hall and areas most affected by last week's earthquake, Iker Casillas, SergioRamos, Cristiano Ronaldo and Emilio Butragueño visiting injured survivors at Virgen de la Arrixaca Hospital in Murcia. Following a brief visit with Managing Director of Health, Maria Angeles Palacios, the Madridistas made their way from room to room to encourage the patients to stay strong.

post-50543-0-1446197191-4518_thumb.jpgpost-50543-0-1446197191-47514_thumb.jpg

Manchester City – Cristiano Ronaldo targeted by City

Manchester City are preparing a world-record £100 million bid for Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo, report the Daily Mirror.

After qualifying for the Champions League, the club’s rich owners are looking for a marque signing to help kick-start a new era at Eastlands.

The Portuguese international signed for Madrid from Manchester United in 2009 for £80 million, and now City plan to bring the winger back to Manchester.

After winning the Ballon d’Or in 2008, Ronaldo made the switch to Madrid for a world record transfer fee.

Since his departure, United have won trophies in the following two seasons and can win a fourth European Cup if they beat Barcelona at Wembley next weekend.

City have since seen huge financial input help them soar up the division and after winning the FA Cup and qualifying for the Champions League, the club are now considered to be realistic contenders for top honours on the domestic and European stage.

The signing of Ronaldo, albeit ambitious, would signal huge intent from City, and further stoke the fire between the two sets of supporters across Manchester.

Despite his exit, United fans still adore Ronaldo after his scintillating displays helped the club win the Champions League in 2008.

The Portugal forward has netted 38 times in the league this season, but sections of the Spanish press say that should be 39 after a deflected strike awarded to Pepe in September

When Rafael Moreno Aranzadi died in 1922, the footballing world did not sit up and take notice. A virtual unknown internationally, the Athletic Bilbao striker was, however, a prolific goalscorer in Spain, and his death at the age of 30 nevertheless represented a shock to football followers in Castile. The forward is thought to have died tragically after consuming rotten oysters, but he left Spanish football with a pearl of a legacy: the Pichichi trophy.

Moreno was known as Pichichi and was one of the highest goalscorers of the time; he netted the first-ever goal at Athletic’s San Mames ground and struck an impressive 68 times in just 72 games for the Basque outfit.

And so the name Pichichi became synonymous with goals. Some 29 years later, comparisons were drawn with another legendary Athletic striker – Telmo Zarra. After bagging an extraordinary 38 goals in 30 games to become the all-time top goalscorer over a single season in Spain’s top flight, sports paper Marca decided a trophy was needed to honour such a feat.

That title was inaugurated in 1952 – and the Pichichi was born, exactly 30 years after the man himself had died. Zarra’s famous mark – albeit not his strike-rate – was then equalled by the brilliant Hugo Sanchez in 1990. The Mexican, who was known as the ‘Pentapichichi’ (as he won the trophy on five occasions) hit 38 goals in 35 games.

But now of course, there’s a new kid on the block: Cristiano Ronaldo also has 38 league goals this term with one game still left to play, and yet, if you picked up a paper in Spain, you’d think he had already broken the record. He hasn’t. Well, at least not officially.

The thing is, one of the goals given to Ronaldo by Marca wasn’t awarded by the match referee as Real Madrid beat Real Sociedad 2-1 back in September. But Marca, you might say, award the Pichichi. And you’d be right. So does that mean they can award goals too? Well, yes and no. It is their award and it will be Ronaldo’s award, whether he scores 38, 39, 40 or more.

During Marca’s live match coverage of Madrid’s 3-1 win over Villarreal on Sunday night, reporter Delfin Melero was told by an online fan that Ronaldo didn’t in fact have 38 goals (this happened before the forward’s stunning second strike), but 37 according to official Fifa statistics. The reply, however, was clear: “Not for us – and we are the ones that hand out the Pichichi.”

The goal in question arrived in the 75th minute of Madrid’s away match at Anoeta on September 19. It was a fiercely struck free kick that caught Pepe on the back and looped dramatically into the top corner of the net, completely changing trajectory and deceiving goalkeeper Claudio Bravo on its way in. Despite the deflection, many were happy to award the goal to Ronaldo. Many except the most important person of all – referee Antonio Manuel Mateu Lahoz.

The official’s match report awarded the goal, which turned out to be the winner, to Pepe. And that should have been that. But ever since, Marca have claimed the strike to be Ronaldo’s – partly to ensure the Madrid man was keeping up with Barcelona’s Lionel Messi in the league’s scoring charts.

Now he’s ahead of the Argentine, though, in fact he is far, far ahead – and it just looks ridiculous. Nevertheless, Spanish news agency EFE has followed suit and so has television station LaSexta, while such peccant propaganda has, in turn, confused the international media.

Interestingly enough, the goal scored by Real Sociedad in that match was a fierce drive struck by Xabi Prieto which hit striker Raul Tamudo on the head, changed course and went in, wrong-footing Madrid keeper Iker Casillas. That goal, naturally, was awarded to Tamudo, and there is no clamour for playmaker Prieto to be given the strike. Then again, Prieto is not the darling of the Madrid media, nor is he in line to win the Pichichi. And he certainly won’t be breaking any goalscoring records this season – even with help from the press.

For his part, Pepe said on Tuesday the goal should belong to Ronaldo. But it’s hardly for him to decide either. And the worst thing of all for the Portuguese forward is that, in a season which has seen him rack up a half-century of goals including an impressive cup final winner against Barca and many spectacular strikes along the way, his most famous goal of all has ended up being one he didn’t even score – not officially, anyway.

Meanwhile, the original Pichichi must be turning defenders in his grave – and the notoriously self-centred Hugo is hardly likely to be doing celebratory somersaults either as the record shared by the two legendary strikers is beaten on the whim of Madrid’s partisan press.

Marca, and other sections of the Spanish media, remain insistent – and they are sounding like a broken record. Ronaldo’s impressive tally also sounds like a broken record. But it isn’t, not yet.

So let’s hope, for the good of everyone, that the Madrid forward really does break it with at least one more goal against Almeria on Saturday. Then we can all agree on at least one thing – that the Portuguese Pichichi really is the highest scorer ever in a Spanish league season; we can then get on with the rest of our lives, celebrate Ronaldo’s fantastic achievement and we can forget about the lies, the damned lies and the statistics.

The Portugal forward has netted 38 times in the league this season, but sections of the Spanish press say that should be 39 after a deflected strike awarded to Pepe in September

When Rafael Moreno Aranzadi died in 1922, the footballing world did not sit up and take notice. A virtual unknown internationally, the Athletic Bilbao striker was, however, a prolific goalscorer in Spain, and his death at the age of 30 nevertheless represented a shock to football followers in Castile. The forward is thought to have died tragically after consuming rotten oysters, but he left Spanish football with a pearl of a legacy: the Pichichi trophy.

Moreno was known as Pichichi and was one of the highest goalscorers of the time; he netted the first-ever goal at Athletic’s San Mames ground and struck an impressive 68 times in just 72 games for the Basque outfit.

And so the name Pichichi became synonymous with goals. Some 29 years later, comparisons were drawn with another legendary Athletic striker – Telmo Zarra. After bagging an extraordinary 38 goals in 30 games to become the all-time top goalscorer over a single season in Spain’s top flight, sports paper Marca decided a trophy was needed to honour such a feat.

That title was inaugurated in 1952 – and the Pichichi was born, exactly 30 years after the man himself had died. Zarra’s famous mark – albeit not his strike-rate – was then equalled by the brilliant Hugo Sanchez in 1990. The Mexican, who was known as the ‘Pentapichichi’ (as he won the trophy on five occasions) hit 38 goals in 35 games.

But now of course, there’s a new kid on the block: Cristiano Ronaldo also has 38 league goals this term with one game still left to play, and yet, if you picked up a paper in Spain, you’d think he had already broken the record. He hasn’t. Well, at least not officially.

The thing is, one of the goals given to Ronaldo by Marca wasn’t awarded by the match referee as Real Madrid beat Real Sociedad 2-1 back in September. But Marca, you might say, award the Pichichi. And you’d be right. So does that mean they can award goals too? Well, yes and no. It is their award and it will be Ronaldo’s award, whether he scores 38, 39, 40 or more.

During Marca’s live match coverage of Madrid’s 3-1 win over Villarreal on Sunday night, reporter Delfin Melero was told by an online fan that Ronaldo didn’t in fact have 38 goals (this happened before the forward’s stunning second strike), but 37 according to official Fifa statistics. The reply, however, was clear: “Not for us – and we are the ones that hand out the Pichichi.”

The goal in question arrived in the 75th minute of Madrid’s away match at Anoeta on September 19. It was a fiercely struck free kick that caught Pepe on the back and looped dramatically into the top corner of the net, completely changing trajectory and deceiving goalkeeper Claudio Bravo on its way in. Despite the deflection, many were happy to award the goal to Ronaldo. Many except the most important person of all – referee Antonio Manuel Mateu Lahoz.

The official’s match report awarded the goal, which turned out to be the winner, to Pepe. And that should have been that. But ever since, Marca have claimed the strike to be Ronaldo’s – partly to ensure the Madrid man was keeping up with Barcelona’s Lionel Messi in the league’s scoring charts.

Now he’s ahead of the Argentine, though, in fact he is far, far ahead – and it just looks ridiculous. Nevertheless, Spanish news agency EFE has followed suit and so has television station LaSexta, while such peccant propaganda has, in turn, confused the international media.

Interestingly enough, the goal scored by Real Sociedad in that match was a fierce drive struck by Xabi Prieto which hit striker Raul Tamudo on the head, changed course and went in, wrong-footing Madrid keeper Iker Casillas. That goal, naturally, was awarded to Tamudo, and there is no clamour for playmaker Prieto to be given the strike. Then again, Prieto is not the darling of the Madrid media, nor is he in line to win the Pichichi. And he certainly won’t be breaking any goalscoring records this season – even with help from the press.

For his part, Pepe said on Tuesday the goal should belong to Ronaldo. But it’s hardly for him to decide either. And the worst thing of all for the Portuguese forward is that, in a season which has seen him rack up a half-century of goals including an impressive cup final winner against Barca and many spectacular strikes along the way, his most famous goal of all has ended up being one he didn’t even score – not officially, anyway.

Meanwhile, the original Pichichi must be turning defenders in his grave – and the notoriously self-centred Hugo is hardly likely to be doing celebratory somersaults either as the record shared by the two legendary strikers is beaten on the whim of Madrid’s partisan press.

Marca, and other sections of the Spanish media, remain insistent – and they are sounding like a broken record. Ronaldo’s impressive tally also sounds like a broken record. But it isn’t, not yet.

So let’s hope, for the good of everyone, that the Madrid forward really does break it with at least one more goal against Almeria on Saturday. Then we can all agree on at least one thing – that the Portuguese Pichichi really is the highest scorer ever in a Spanish league season; we can then get on with the rest of our lives, celebrate Ronaldo’s fantastic achievement and we can forget about the lies, the damned lies and the statistics.

cr7 :whistle: recorman

Sanchez and Ronaldo face-to-face

Sanchez: "Real Madrid will score many goals, play great games and win many titles with Cristiano"

Two strikers. Two goal scorers. Two idols. A Real Madrid legend and one who will soon become one himself. Past and present of football come together thorugh the greatest thing they have in common: goals. Hugo Sanchez played seven years for Real Madrid, earning four Pichihi Trophies and a Golden Boot award, as well as establishing the record of goals in one season in La Liga: 38. Cristiano Ronaldo, who has already tallied 84 strikes as a Madridista, has much respect for the former player and feels porud for reaching his record.

"I always said that, if my record was ever to be equalled or broken, I'd rather it was by a Real Madrid player," says Sanchez, "I will celebrate if Cristiano eventually breaks it. Records are meant to be broken." "I am honoured to have reached two legends like Hugo Sanchez and Zarra," adds Ronaldo, "I am delighted to be amongst them. Individual accolades are important, but not as much as collective achievements. I'm satisfied because it isn't easy to score 38 goals in one season, but I managed to do so with the help of my teammates. I wouldn't be able to win a Pichichi Trophy or a Golden Boot without them. I am very grateful to them. All I can promise is that I will always do my best when wearing this shirt. Ozil, Kaka, Xabi Alonso, Di Maria, Benzema, Higuain... It's hard to choose just one teammate. This award belongs to all and I wish to share it with them."

Hugo listens and nods in agreement, adding, "Michel possible served me the most assists, but I connected well with everyone. Butragueño, Martin Vazquez... I also believe this trophy belongs to the entire team." His side established a record by scoring 107 strikes in one season. This year's Real Madrid haven't reached that number, but they've tallied an impressive 94 strikes nonetheless. "Let's see if we can score more goals against Almeria to make our goal count more impressive," says Cristiano.

It is said strikers remember every goal they've scored, and that they're capable of describing all of them in detail. Both men prove this to be right. "My favourite in my 38 goal run was the last because it was the one that allowed me to catch up with Zarra and win the Golden Boot," says Sanchez, "It came from a cross by Michel. I overtook the defender and shot on target." Cristiano also chooses the goal that allowed him to equal the historic record, "My favourite is the second strike I netted against Villarreal. I like many of the goals I've scored, but I prefer that one because it's the most recent."

Both men also shared words of praise for each other. "I believe I would have scored more goals had I had Cristiano's speed and shooting power, as well as his movements while on the run. That's what I would've most liked to have of his skills." "I would like to score from bicycle kicks, as he did," adds Ronaldo, "I would also like to have a similar scoring streak. His was impressive."

"Cristiano is young, strong and has many years left in football, and I hope he spends them at Real Madrid," says Hugo, "The team will score many goals, play great games and win many titles with Cristiano. The run he's having is spectacular. Nine goals in three games! That's an astonishing feat." Cristiano promises he will always do his best, "I will always give my all when wearing the Real Madrid shirt."

satelliteblobcolurldataw.th.jpgsatelliteblobcolurldatap.th.jpgsatelliteblobcolurldatavo.th.jpgsatelliteblobcolurldatad.th.jpgsatelliteblobcolurldatat.th.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo can set La Liga's single season scoring record with one goal on Saturday

Sitting level with Hugo Sanchez and Zarra as La Liga's single season top scorers of all time with 38 goals, Cristiano Ronaldo's last shot at rewriting history takes place on Saturday when Almeria visit the Bernabeu; a match that also brings down the curtain on the Whites' 2010/11 season.

Real Madrid bring the season to a close at the Santiago Bernabeu, where they host Almeria for an inconsequential match in terms of final standings. A lot is at stake on an individual level, however, as Cristiano Ronaldo is only one goal shy of breaking La Liga's single season scoring record.

Eighteen men including the academy's Jesus, Mandi and Joselu have been called up for the task. Canales and Pedro Leon will also suit up, while Lass, Khedira and Gago remain unavailable due to injury and Casillas, Adan, Marcelo, Higuain, Di Maria and Garay will sit out due to a coaching decision. With both goalkeepers off duty, Dudek will make his final start of his four-year stint at Real Madrid.

Almeria and Hercules have already ensured their relegation to Segunda Division with 90 minutes left in both their seasons. After four consecutive seasons in Spain's top flight, the Andalusian side bids farewell to La Liga at none other than Santiago Bernabeu Stadium.

"The way the team is currently playing favors Cristiano Ronaldo and his scoring ability," commented assistant coach Aitor Karanka during Friday's press conference, "That incentive is still there, and that is why we are motivated for this match." The players are sure to oblige by their coach's words, and so is Cristiano Ronaldo, who has history at the tips of his toes.

An Adebayor hat-trick and braces from Benzema & Ronaldo, who scored his 39th and 40th goals of the campaign, consigned Almeria to a miserable last day in la Liga…

Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo became the most prolific goal scorer in a single La Liga campaign, surpassing Telmo Zarra and Hugo Sanchez’s record of 38 goals in one season in his sides’ 8-1 win over an Almeria team resigned to playing in Spain’s Segunda division next term.

Ronaldo opened the scoring and Emmanuel Adebayor doubled Madrid’s lead midway through the first half, only for Kalu Uche to respond within seconds of the Togolese’s goal to give Roberto Olabe’s side a lifeline at half-time.

Almeria came to within the width of the post of restoring parity before a Madrid rout evolved. Karim Benzema and Adebayor rotated the next four goals between them as los Blancos scored their 100th league goal.

The 101st goal came from the boot of Cristiano Ronaldo before youngster Joselu provided Madrid with their eighth goal of the match, as los Blancos brought their season to an impressive end.

Real Madrid took the lead within four minutes when Xabi Alonso’s freekick deliver was headed into the path of Cristiano Ronaldo who tapped home from close range to score his record-breaking 39th league goal.

Karim Benzema came close to doubling los Blancos’ lead when he burst toward goal before seeing his strike from 25 yards rise over the bar.

A pulsating period ensued as Adebayor provided a fine finish after Mesut Ozil had supplied the former Arsenal striker with a superb through ball.

Almeria responded in emphatic fashion from the restart, Juanma Ortiz sent in a cross which landed at Kalu Uche’s feet via a deflection leaving the striker the simplest of tap-ins to half Almeria’s deficit.

Madrid looked to restore their two-goal buffer after a determined Ronaldo touched the ball to Benzema who thumped a ferocious effort against Esteban’s crossbar.

The second half began in the same fashion as the first had ended, when Albert Crusat rose highest but was left helpless as he watched his effort hit the post denying Almeria an equalising goal.

Madrid’s response was lethal; Benzema charged towards Almeria’s goal and with no defender challenging the Frenchman, he burst through before poking a finish underneath Esteban.

Almeria conceded their fourth soon after when Ronaldo rounded the ‘keeper presenting the Portuguese striker to score his 40th goal of the season, only for Carlos Garcia to make a superb goal-line clearance. Adebayor was the man in waiting, however, and he hammered the ball home from all of six yards out.

Madrid continued to dominate and their fifth strike was a showmanship of teamwork. Sergio Ramos thumped a long ball forward from the back to Ronaldo, whose audacious back-heel in mid-air found Adebayor. The Togolese immediately released CR7 down the wing, and the Portuguese took one touch to drill a low close to Benzema, who slotted the ball beyond Esteban.

It soon became 6-1 when Pepe rose highest to flick Esteban Granero’s corner into the path of Adebayor and the on loan striker completed his hat-trick in resounding fashion by stabbing home from close range.

Ronaldo finished the season with 40 goals to his name after he waltzed past Almeria’s static defence before blasting in a low shot into the bottom corner from outside the box. Straight after the goal, Jose Mourinho decided to withdraw goalkeeper Jerzy Dudek, who was given a standing ovation by the fans and a guard of honour by his team-mates in his final game for the capital club.

Madrid still had enough time to match their goal tally from last season of 102 goals through substitute Joselu when the youngster fired home from close range following a scrumptious lifted ball into the far post from Ronaldo.

With both sides resigned to their fates ahead of this game, Madrid showed what they are capable of, albeit against a lesser opposition, ahead of next season in the hope of usurping Barcelona as la Liga champions, whilst Almeria will hope to return to the top division after dropping down to the Segunda division.

Cristiano Ronaldo: “I am generous with my teammates because they are generous with me”

All eyes were on Cristiano Ronaldo all night long and the Madridista forward didn’t let anyone down. Ronaldo scored the first goal of the match and then notched his 40th of the season, a new La Liga single season record.

“The only reason I have scored so many goals is because of my teammates, and I am exremely appreciative. The Pichichi is for them and the fans.”

“I am generous with my teammates and they are generous with me. I wouldn’t have scored 40 goals in La Liga without them.”

“We are happy to end this season in this fashion. It isn’t easy to score 102 goals, so hats off to my teammates. The coach wanted to end the season with a lot of goals in order to start the next one with ambition, and we did.”

“It will be hard to score this many goals again, but nothing is impossible and I will work hard to do it.”