Thumbnail

Monkey

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just realized we got no Bio or Filmography ...

Biography

- thanks to allstars-online.net

Birth Name: Catherine Elise Blanchett

Date of birth (location): 14 May 1969 (Melbourne, Victoria, Australia)

With her regal bearing and elegant features, it is no surprise that Cate Blanchett broke through the Hollywood ranks with her Academy Award-nominated performance as Elizabeth I in Shekhar Kapur's Elizabeth. Her performance, in equal parts poignant and fierce, won the admiration of both critics and filmgoers, who wondered where this extraordinary actress had been all these years.

The actress had, in fact, been in Australia, where she was born in Melbourne on May 14, 1969. The daughter of an Australian mother and an American father hailing from Texas, Blanchett was one of three children. Following her father's death when she was ten, Blanchett was raised by her mother. She went on to study economics and fine art at the University of Melbourne, before deciding that such studies weren't her real vocation. In true Australian fashion, she went traveling for awhile, living in England for a time before her visa ran out. She then found herself in Egypt, where, desperate for money, she agreed to work as an extra on an Arabic boxing film. This initial film experience led to her enrollment, after her return to Australia, at Sydney's prestigious National Academy of Dramatic Arts. Following her graduation from N.A.D.A., Blanchett joined the Sydney Theatre Company, where she first performed in a production of Caryl Churchill's Top Girls. A subsequent role in Timothy Daley's musical Kafka Dances won Blanchett a 1993 New Comer Award from the Sydney Theatre Critics Circle, an honor that was doubled that same year with a Rosemont Best Actress Award for her performance opposite Geoffrey Rush (who was later to star with her in Elizabeth) in David Mamet's Oleanna.

The considerable prestige that accompanied these theatrical triumphs led Blanchett to television, where she appeared in various programs for the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, including the drama Heartlands and the popular series Police Rescue. Her television performances caught the attention of director Bruce Beresford, who cast her in his upcoming film Paradise Road. Blanchett made her film debut in the 1997 POW drama as a shy Australian nurse, playing opposite Glenn Close and Frances McDormand. Also in 1997, she starred in the comedy Thank God He Met Lizzie, for which she won an Australian Film Institute Best Actress Award. With the considerable amount of praise and recognition Blanchett was receiving in her native country, it was only a matter of time and opportunity before she became known to a wider audience. Her opportunity came that very same year, with her role in Gillian Armstrong's adaptation of Peter Carey's novel Oscar and Lucinda. Playing opposite Ralph Fiennes, Blanchett won almost uniform praise for her performance in a film that incurred very mixed reactions. The attention she received got her a small patch of land on the Hollywood map, something she would soon exchange for what amounted to prime Hollywood real estate, with her performance in the title role of Elizabeth the following year.

The critical and popular reaction to Elizabeth was swift and unequivocal, with Blanchett's portrayal of the queen netting her a spot in the roster of Hollywood royalty. A whole spectrum of awards greeted both the film and her performance, including eight Oscar nominations, one of which was a Best Actress nomination for Blanchett. The actress won a Golden Globe and British Academy Award, as well as a host of critics' circles awards. With the industry wrapped neatly around her little finger, Blanchett went on to star with Angelina Jolie, John Cusack, and Billy Bob Thornton in the Mike Newell comedy Pushing Tin (1999). Although the film got a lukewarm response, Blanchett was praised for her performance as a Long Island housewife. The same year, she played another housewife, albeit one of an entirely different stripe, in Oliver Parker's adaptation of Oscar Wilde's An Ideal Husband. Despite a uniformly strong cast including Jeremy Northam, Rupert Everett, and Julianne Moore, the film received very mixed reviews, although, as was usually the case, Blanchett won praise for her contribution to it.

Remaining remarkably busy through 2003, Blanchett would appear in no less than five films in 2001 alone. After following Pushing Tin with a supporting role in The Talented Mr. Ripley, Blanchett joined Johnny Depp and Christina Ricci with her role as a kindhearted though materialistic showgirl in The Man Who Cried before starring as a fortune teller who may hold the key to a mysterious murder in director Sam Raimi's The Gift. Gaining positive notes for her uncanny ability to move effortlessly and convincingly between a wide range of characterizations, Blanchett appeared as a hostage of love in the crime comedy Bandits before re-teaming with Gift co-star Giovanni Ribisi in director Tom Tykwer's Heaven. Her busy year already off to a hectic start, Blanchett then faced the daunting task of appearing in not one but three films with her role as Galadriel, Queen of Lothlorien, in the eagerly anticipated Lord of the Rings trilogy. As if her plate wasn't full enough, Blanchett would also appear in 2001 in both The Shipping News and director Gillian Armstrong's Charlotte Gray before rounding out the Lord of the Rings trilogy with The Two Towers in 2002 and The Return of the King in 2003.

Filmography

- thanks to imdb.com

# The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008) (filming) .... Daisy

# The Golden Age (2007) (post-production) .... Queen Elizabeth I

# I'm Not There (2007) (post-production) .... Bob Dylan

# Notes on a Scandal (2006) .... Sheba Hart

# The Good German (2006) .... Lena Brandt

# Babel (2006) .... Susan

# Little Fish (2005) .... Tracy

# Stories of Lost Souls (2005) .... Julie-Anne (segment Bangers)

# The Aviator (2004) .... Katharine Hepburn

# The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004) .... Jane Winslett-Richardson

# The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) .... Galadriel

... aka Herr der Ringe: Die Rueckkehr des Koenigs, Der (Germany)

... aka The Return of the King (USA: short title)

# The Missing (2003/I) .... Maggie Gilkeson

# Coffee and Cigarettes (2003) .... Cate/Shelly (segment "Cousins")

# Veronica Guerin (2003) .... Veronica Guerin

# The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) .... Galadriel

... aka Herr der Ringe: Die zwei Tuerme, Der (Germany)

... aka The Two Towers (USA: short title)

# Heaven (2002) .... Philippa

... aka Heaven (France) (Germany)

# The Shipping News (2001) .... Petal

... aka Noeuds et denouements (Canada: French title)

# Charlotte Gray (2001) .... Charlotte Gray

... aka Liebe der Charlotte Gray, Die (Germany)

# The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) .... Galadriel

... aka The Fellowship of the Ring (USA: short title)

... aka The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: The Motion Picture (USA: promotional title)

# Bandits (2001) .... Kate Wheeler

# The Gift (2000) .... Annabelle 'Annie' Wilson

# The Man Who Cried (2000) .... Lola

... aka The man who cried - Les larmes d'un homme (France)

# The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) .... Meredith Logue

... aka The Mysterious Yearning Secretive Sad Lonely Troubled Confused Loving Musical Gifted Intelligent Beautiful Tender Sensitive Haunted Passionate Talented Mr. Ripley (USA: complete title)

# Pushing Tin (1999) .... Connie Falzone

... aka Turbulenzen - und andere Katastrophen (Germany)

# An Ideal Husband (1999) .... Lady Gertrude Chiltern

# Bangers (1999) .... Julie-Anne

# Elizabeth (1998) .... Elizabeth I

... aka Elizabeth: The Virgin Queen (closing credits title)

# Oscar and Lucinda (1997) .... Lucinda Leplastrier

# Thank God He Met Lizzie (1997) .... Lizzie

... aka The Wedding Party (USA: video title)

# Paradise Road (1997) .... Susan Macarthy

# Parklands (1996) .... Rosie

# "Bordertown" (1995) (mini) TV Series .... Bianca

# Police Rescue (1994) .... Vivian

... aka Police Rescue: The Movie (Australia: promotional title)

# "Heartland" (1994) (mini) TV Series .... Elizabeth Ashton

# "Police Rescue" .... Mrs. Haines (1 episode, 1993)

- The Loaded Boy (1993) TV Episode .... Mrs. Haines

# "G.P." (1989) TV Series .... Janie Morris (unknown episodes)

• 2 weeks later...

Blanchett was born the daughter of a United States Navy petty officer from Texas of French descent, who came ashore in Melbourne and met her mother, a Melbourne schoolteacher. Her father, Robert, later worked in advertising after marrying her mother, June. He died of a heart attack when Cate was 10 years old. She has two siblings; the elder, Bob, is a computer programmer, and her younger sister, Geneviève, is a theatrical designer.

Her husband is playwright and screenwriter Andrew Upton, whom she met in 1996 while she was performing in a production of The Seagull. It was not love at first sight, however. "He thought I was aloof and I thought he was arrogant," Blanchett later remarked. "It just shows you how wrong you can be. But once he kissed me that was that." The two were married on December 29, 1997. Their first child, son Dashiell John, was born on December 3, 2001; their second child, son Roman Robert, was born on April 23, 2004. The younger son received a minor burn injury on May 15, 2005 while the family was in Marrakech, Morocco, for the filming of the movie Babel. After initial treatment there, Blanchett flew with him to London for further treatment.

After making England her main family home for most of the early 2000s, she and her husband returned to their native Australia In 2006. Blanchett said in a Vogue magazine interview of November 2006: "Andrew and I realized how much Australia meant to us. We saw the theater community in Sydney and we felt, well, we know you all; we have worked with many of you. We have tried to live a few other places, but something really hit us in the gut. It's just a feeling about what home is. It became clear to us, particularly after the children were born, that family and the theatrical community in Australia were a large part of who we are."

[edit] Career

Blanchett attended primary school in Melbourne at Ivanhoe East Primary School before completing secondary education at Methodist Ladies' College, where she explored her passion for acting. She studied economics and fine art at the University of Melbourne before leaving Australia to travel. She returned to Australia and later moved to Sydney to study at the National Institute of Dramatic Art; graduating in 1992 and beginning her career on the stage. Her first major stage role was opposite Geoffrey Rush in the 1993 David Mamet play Oleanna. She also appeared as Ophelia in an acclaimed 1994-95 Company B production of Hamlet, directed by Neil Armfield, starring Richard Roxburgh and Geoffrey Rush.

She has also appeared in roles in Australian television. She appeared in the mini-series Heartland opposite Ernie Dingo, the mini-series Bordertown and in the Police Rescue episode, The Loaded Boy.

Her film debut was as an Australian nurse captured by the Japanese in the prisoner of war production of Paradise Road directed by Bruce Beresford, that co-starred Glenn Close and Frances McDormand.

Blanchett is perhaps best known for her role as Elizabeth I, Queen of England, in the 1998 movie Elizabeth. This role earned her an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress, losing to Gwyneth Paltrow for Shakespeare in Love but did win the British Academy Award and a golden globe award for best actress in a motion picture drama .

The following year, Blanchett was nominated at BAFTA award for her supporting role in The Talented Mr. Ripley.

She won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in 2005 for playing Katharine Hepburn in Martin Scorsese's The Aviator. This made Blanchett the first person ever to garner an Academy Award for playing a previous Oscar-winning actor/actress.

Already an acclaimed actress, Blanchett received a host of new fans when she appeared in Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings movies. She played the role of the High Elf Queen Galadriel in all three films.

Blanchett is currently reprising her role as Elizabeth I in the upcoming sequel tentatively entitled Golden Age, and is set to star as a young Bob Dylan in the upcoming feature I'm Not There.

As of 2008, she and her husband will commence three-year contracts as artistic co-directors of the Sydney Theatre Company. The contracts include a clause that will allow either of them to take three months out each year to pursue other activities.

[edit] Filmography

Year Film Role Award Nominations and/or Wins

2007 I'm Not There Bob Dylan

2007 The Curious Case of Benjamin Button Daisy

2006 Golden Age Elizabeth I

Babel Susan

The Good German Lena Brandt

Notes on a Scandal Sheba Hart Nominated for BFCA award for Best Supporting Actress

Nominated for Golden Globe award for Best Supporting Actress Nominated for SAG award for Best Supporting Actress

2005 Little Fish Tracy Heart Won Australian Film Institute award (AFI) for Best Lead Actress

2004 The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou Jane Winslett-Richardson Nominated for BFCA award for Best Acting Ensemble

The Aviator Katharine Hepburn Won Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress

Won BAFTA award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role

Won SAG award for Best Supporting Actress

Nominated for BFCA award for Best Supporting Actress

Nominated for Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress

2003 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Galadriel Won SAG award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast

Won BFCA award for Best Acting Ensemble

The Missing Magdalena 'Maggie' Gilkeson

Coffee and Cigarettes Herself & Shelly

Veronica Guerin Veronica Guerin Nominated for Golden Globe for Best Actress - Drama

2002 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Galadriel Nominated for SAG award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast

Heaven Philippa

2001 The Shipping News Petal Quoyle

Charlotte Gray Charlotte Gray

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Galadriel Nominated for SAG award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast

Bandits Kate Wheeler Nominated for Golden Globe for Best Actress - Comedy or Musical

Nominated for SAG award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role

2000 The Gift Annabelle "Annie" Wilson

The Man Who Cried Lola

1999 Bangers Julie-Anne

The Talented Mr. Ripley Meredith Logue Nominated for BAFTA for Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role

Pushing Tin Connie Falzone

An Ideal Husband Lady Gertrude Chiltern

1998 Elizabeth Elizabeth I of England Nominated for Academy Award for Best Actress

Won Golden Globe for Best Actress - Drama

Won BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role

Nominated for SAG award for Best Actress in a Leading Role

Won BFCA Critics' Choice Award for Best Actress

1997 Oscar and Lucinda Lucinda Leplastrier Nominated for Australian Film Institute award (AFI) for Best Lead Actress

Thank God He Met Lizzie Lizzie Won Australian Film Institute award (AFI] for Best Supporting Actress

Paradise Road Susan Macarthy

1996 Parklands Rosie

[edit] Awards won

1992 Sydney Theatre Critics Award: Best Actress for David Mamet's Oleanna

1993 Sydney Critics Circle Award: Best Newcomer for Timothy Daly's Kafka Dances

1997 AFI Award: Best Actress in a Supporting Role for Thank God He Met Lizzie

1997 Sydney Film Critics Award: Best Supporting Actress for Thank God He Met Lizzie

1998 BAFTA Award: Best Actress for Elizabeth

1998 Golden Globe Awards: Best Actress, Drama, for Elizabeth

2003 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Best Ensemble Cast for The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

2005 Academy Award - Best Supporting Actress for The Aviator

2005 British Academy of Film and Television Arts: Best Supporting Actress for The Aviator

2005 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Best Supporting Actress for The Aviator

2005 AFI Award: Best Lead Actress for Little Fish

2006 Mo Award: Best Female Actor in a Play for Hedda Gabler

Preceded by

Renée Zellweger

for Cold Mountain Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress

for The Aviator Succeeded by

Rachel Weisz

for The Constant Gardener

[edit] Awards nominated

1997 AFI Award: Nominated for Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role for Oscar and Lucinda

1998 Academy Award: Nominated for Best Actress for Elizabeth

1999 BAFTA Award: Nominated for Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role for The Talented Mr. Ripley

2001 Golden Globe Awards: Nominated for Best Actress, Musical or Comedy, for Bandits

2004 Golden Globe Awards: Nominated for Best Actress, Drama for Veronica Guerin

2005 Golden Globe Awards: Nominated for Best Supporting Actress for The Aviator

2007 Golden Globe Awards: Nominated for Best Supporting Actress for Notes on a Scandal

2007 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Nominated for Best Supporting Actress for Notes on a Scandal

[edit] Quotes

Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to:

Cate Blanchett"If you know you are going to fail, then fail gloriously."

On the Lord of the Rings trilogy: "I had never done anything with blue screen before, or prosthetics, or anything like that. Lord of the Rings was like stepping into a videogame for me. It was another world completely. But, to be honest, I basically did it so that I could have the ears. I thought they would really work with my bare head."

"If I had my way, if I was lucky enough, if I could be on the brink my entire life - that great sense of expectation and excitement without the disappointment - that would be the perfect state."

• 4 weeks later...