Paul Walker ~ Rest In Peace
Thumbnail

persuazn

• 4 weeks later...

Outside Magazine, April 2008

Bodywork

Paul Walker

The Routine

Anyone who has tried to inspire himself in a hotel gym can attest to the fact that on the road, fitness lapses first. This is why we can all learn something from Paul Walker. The 34-year-old California native spent half of the past year hopping between his Santa Barbara home and enviably balmy locales like Indonesia (where he surfed for three months), El Salvador, and Hawaii. Walker, who will star in the upcoming indie thriller The Heaven Project and 2009's The Fast and the Furious 4, stays in shape by getting the most out of his ample free time. His regime: Surf, mountain-bike, play tennis, practice martial arts. Repeat. ABE STREEP caught up with the actor for a few words of wisdom on keeping fit far from home.

1. "At least 75 percent of it is your diet. Avoid the white stuff—breads, sugars, and salts. I eat a lot of fish, and I'm a sucker for red meat."

2. "A sport a day—that's how I stay in shape. I'm not into the gym. I get out there to do something every day."

3. "I believe in sport-specific training. I hate running and am no good at it, but I can paddle out to breaks all day. It's about repetition and efficiency."

4. "I practice Brazilian jujitsu three times a week. It's my yoga. You have to concentrate on your breathing to save energy. It improves flexibility, which helps with surfing."

5. "Time is running out for physical sports. At some point I'll get married; I'd like to go back to school. Then it will be about personal development. But for now I'm going to go as hard as I can."

Paul Walker on his boat in Santa Barbara cover_apr2008_toc.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...