Bellazon

Candice Swanepoel
Thumbnail

PeachMuffins

Q&A with Victoria's Secret Angels Doutzen Kroes and Candice Swanepoel

Contrary to appearances, Doutzen Kroes and Candice Swanepoel want you to know that they're not perfect.

"It's nice that we're called Angels, but we're still normal girls," Kroes told OurFaves this week from Calgary where the duo cut the pink ribbon at the opening of the Victoria's Secret store in the Chinook Centre. "We're girls that have insecurities and deal with the same things that all girls deal with."

If you ever wondered what if what it was like for Doutzen to go back to modeling two months after giving birth to her son, Phyllon, or how Swanepoel deals with tabloid rumours that she's secretly dating Zac Efron, read on...

What would you say is the best part about being an angel?

Swanepoel: For me, I love to travel, believe it or not. And we get to go to some of the most amazing beaches in the world to shoot Swim, so that's definitely a highlight for me. But also, we're able to have a voice and talk about products we like and try things out and tell people about it which other models don't get to do.

Kroes: I think for me, it's the same thing. I love travelling, going to nice beaches. And I like that even if you have a bad day, you get nice hair and makeup and you always get to feel like a princess.

What's the hardest part?

Swanepoel: A lot of travelling, long hours. And I think every woman has moments when you feel insecure. I have that too and you have to be in your lingerie and look good, so it's not always easy.

What was it like to walk down the runway for Victoria's Secret for the first time?

Swanepoel: For me, it was kind of a surreal moment because I'd been modeling for a little while already and it was so amazing just to feel that feeling as you walk out on the runway because you're not walking out as a model. You're walking out as Candice Swanepoel or Doutzen Kroes, so it's really a moment all of us remember.

Who are your favourite Victoria's Secret Angels from the past?

Swanepoel: Tyra, Gizelle.

Kroes: I think Gizelle is my favourite.

Swanepoel: Me too.

Kroes: I think she's everybody's. We just saw her at the Met Ball and she looks gorgeous.

What has been your favourite Victoria's Secret campaign?

Kroes: I always love the swimsuits because you go to nice beaches like Necker Island. For me, it's those shoots that are a lot of fun. Swanepoel: For me, I think it's coming out now - we just did the Bombshell Summer campaign and I really love the pictures and the colours. It's nice to mix it up and do something different for a little bit, play a different character.

What are your favourite items from Victoria's Secret?

Kroes: Right now, there is a new bra, Dream Angels Forever, and I think it's my favourite now. It's a new design and it's always nice to have something new. Victoria's Secret always comes up with great bras and underwear, so I think that's my new favourite.

Swanepoel: And mine is definitely having a new fragrance. I love to change my fragrance and for summer, there's the Dream Angels Forever which just came out. It's the number one selling fragrance in America, so Victoria's Secret really knows what they're talking about when it comes to fragrances.

What are your lives like when you're not modeling?

(Laughter)

Kroes: We talked about it before and we're like, we're never really hanging out after we're finished with the job because we're so tired from traveling and we just want to be home and I think that's what I like. I just like to be relaxing on the couch for a little bit.

Swanepoel: People have this idea that we're out on the town, but I think Doutzen and I are very quiet, relaxed girls so I really enjoy being at home in my own space with my dog.

Doutzen: Just relaxing.

If you weren't models, what do you think you'd be doing right now?

Kroes: I have no idea. I think I would want to be a model.

Swanepoel: I would probably be in the industry. I was really interested in beauty and fashion from a very young age.

Fans have an image of you as being perfect. Is there anything you want them to know about you that's different from what they see on TV and in magazines?

Swanepoel: I think sometimes the media can twist things and get things wrong, so I would say not to read too much into those kinds of things. For us, it's great to be role models and know that girls look up to us and it's really flattering as well.

Kroes: I think so too. It's nice that we're called Angels, but we're still normal girls. We're girls that have insecurities and deal with the same things that all girls deal with. And we're young and we're traveling so we have the same feelings as everybody. I agree with Candice.

Doutzen, you had a baby in January and were modeling only two months later. How did you manage that?

Kroes: Actually, I worked out all my life and when I got pregnant, I was in shape and I maintained a healthy lifestyle during pregnancy and I did some pilates and yoga and now I'm nursing. I think that helps too. Every time I ate something, I thought, my son is eating the same thing. And still now, I'm very healthy. No alcohol, no coffee and I think that helps. And I was really excited to go back to work. After 8 weeks, I was really happy to be back at work.

Swanepoel: And she looks amazing, by the way.

Kroes: Thank you, and I'm also in the gym all the time right now to get back into shape. It's hard word, but it pays off.

How do you balance being a mother and a successful model?

Kroes: I think I can balance it really well. In the beginning, it was really hard because with the traveling and all of that. But I think also, I might have a really busy time and then I'll have a few days off that I can spend a lot of time with my son, and a lot of other moms have to go back to their jobs and it's 9 to 5 and you don't get to see your kid all day. I have busy times and then I have times where I don't have to do anything. So I think I have it great. It works really well, actually, right now. I feel like I'm doing my job with even more passion because I'm doing it for him. I'm doing it for different reasons now.

Candince, recently, some celebrity magazines reported that you were seen out with Zac Efron. Do you have any comments about that?

Swanepoel: The media twists things quite a lot. I met him once, but I was never at a club with him, so it's totally false.

Can you comment on your dating life right now?

Swanepoel: I've had the same boyfriend since I was 17. So 6 years. He keeps me grounded and he's my family. So no Zac Efron. Sorry, guys (laughs).

Both of you have reached star status as models. What do you hope to do next?

Kroes: I think for me, I take it day-by-day and I really enjoy what I'm doing. But I'm actually going to do a movie in Holland so I'm really excited about that.

Swanepoel: Once I get time off from modeling, I really want to start getting creative and maybe starting a jewelery line or something like that - just a creative project I like to do.

You both sound like you enjoy being busy.

Kroes: I think we're all workaholics.

Swanepoel: But our job is fun.

Kroes: And we only have a certain time period to do it, so we try to make the most of it.

Swanepoel: We're very lucky.

Hey guys! I am not a Twitter fan, never have been actually, I am more of a FB kinda gal... BUT; seeing our Candice has joined Twitter, I decided to create a Fan account for myself and follow her just to keep updated! :D Anyways, thought I'd share the link just so we can have another place to share our Crazy Candy Love!!! ;) @CandiceSVSFan <That would be me, feel free to follow. And sorry for posting this here, didn't know any other way to get to all of you at once.

Hey guys! I am not a Twitter fan, never have been actually, I am more of a FB kinda gal... BUT; seeing our Candice has joined Twitter, I decided to create a Fan account for myself and follow her just to keep updated! :D Anyways, thought I'd share the link just so we can have another place to share our Crazy Candy Love!!! ;) @CandiceSVSFan <That would be me, feel free to follow. And sorry for posting this here, didn't know any other way to get to all of you at once.

Planning on doing the very same, never been much for Twitter, just FB, but gonna create one Twitter account just for this :D