Bellazon

Linda Evangelista
Thumbnail

dcrim

Linda Evangelista fronts new Loewe fragrance campaign

Written by Charlotte Smith

Madrid-based fashion house Loewe, owned by the LVMH Group, has selected international top model Linda Evangelista as the face for its new feminine fragrance that will be launched in September 2013.

“Icon of modernity, style and elegance, Linda Evangelista perfectly embodies the values of the Spanish luxury brand,” says the brand.

linda-evangelista.jpg

“Thanks to her magnetism, Linda clearly conveys the magic that surrounds Loewe olfactory creations.

In 1990, Linda Evangelista starred in Loewe’s fashion campaign for the Autumn-Winter Collection. “Today, we witness a romantic reencounter culminating in an evocative and mysterious project that will be unveiled this fall,” adds the brand.

[Left: Linda Evangelista is a top international model who rose to fame in the late 90s]

Loewe says that the Canadian model is one of the few top models that changed the concept of the fashion industry in the late 90s. “At present, she remains muse of prestigious photographers, features numerous international advertising campaigns, and her face fills the covers of major magazines in the world,” says Loewe.

trbusiness.com

Linda Evangelista: Great Canadian Supermodel

By Matthew St. James on February 28, 2013

linda-evangelista-SUPERMODEL.jpg

Everyone’s heard of her, but surprisingly not many Canadian’s realize that’s she’s one of ours. Linda is nothing short of a national treasure She’s graced the covers of well over 600 magazine and is well known for being the longtime muse of photographer Steven Meisel. Though she still makes appearances and does VIP modeling guest spots, her official career lasted from 1984-1998.

“No one would ever believe that I was shy. Up on the runway I don’t feel that way. I don’t feel like they’re looking at me. When I’m doing my job, nothing can touch me. I feel protected.” Levangelista.com

History Lesson:

Born May 10, 1965 in St. Catharine’s, Ontario to Italian parents who emigrated to Canada, she was raised in a working-class, traditional Roman Catholic family, where she attended Denis Morris Catholic High School. Her father worked for General Motors and her mother, Marisa, was a bookkeeper. Evangelista began modelling when she was discovered by an agent from Elite Model Management at the 1978 Miss Teen Niagara beauty pageant Linda always had a interest in becoming a famous model and worked hard to get to where she is today. At the young age of only 13, she had won the 1978 “Miss Teen Niagara” and was discovered by a scout from Elite Model Management.linda-evangelista-canadian-supermode-1.jpg

By age 13, Linda was signed to a Toronto modeling company and at age 16 signed with Elite Modeling in New York. Over the years Linda has been regarded as one of the few truesupermodels that changed the face of fashion in the late 1980`s and early 90`s. After all between 1988 to 1996 she can be credited to starting about 11 different hair styles that where very popular. Also Linda was the founder of the supermodel union along with 3 other supermodels which brought new standards and rules making better working conditions and pay for the models. In her modeling career to date Linda has been in over 63 various advertisements, been on the cover of 68 magazines and easily been in over 15 fashion shows through out the years. For all of her accomplishments and the changes she made in the modeling industry, Linda Evangelista will always be in my mind as one of “Canada’s Top Models”.

linda-evangelista-canadian.jpg

Random Highlight:

• Evangelista is responsible for possibly the most notorious quote in the modeling agency: ”We don’t wake up for less than $10,000 a day”. Said to Jonathan van Meter ofVogue in 1990.

How does she stay so beautiful?

“I know it sounds a bit clichéd, but I stick to drinking two litres of water each day and I don’t drink alcohol or smoke,” she says. “I also wear sunscreen every day — even in winter. I do yoga and work out a little on a Power Plate machine that I have at home. I also walk wherever — and whenever — I can.” -Elle Canada

linda-evangelista-canadian-supermode-2.jpg

Since Retiring in 1998:

Since her departure from the modeling industry, Linda has made quite the com back with:

• In 2007, she signed a multiple-year exclusive contract with the cosmetics company L’Oreal Paris.
  • In early 2008 that she would be featured in the Prada Fall 2008 campaign seen in magazines internationally.
  • In June 2010, the New York Post reported that Evangelista will be the new face of Talbots.
  • 2010 Walked for Galliano
  • From 2010-2013 has been featured on the covers of: Fashion Magazein, W, Vogue, Love and several others.
  • Recently in 2012 Karl Lagerfeld choose Linda Evangelista for the new Chanel eyewear collection.

linda-evangelista-covers.jpgCommercial Success

• In 1984, Evangelista moved to New York in hopes of ramping up her career. She bumped along for the next several years doing what she later described as fairly “mediocre” work.
  • Then, in the fall of 1988, accepting the advice of photographer Peter Lindbergh, Evangelista famously cut her long, light brown hair into a shorter bob. This new look shocked the fashion world, and organizers canceled 16 out of 20 shows she was scheduled to do.
  • But then, something funny happened. Everyone started talking about her new look, and with that notoriety came work. Soon, as Evangelista later recalled, she had “every Vogue cover around the world…and then people came around and decided they liked the short hair.”
  • As one of the world’s most recognized faces, Evangelista wasn’t immune from becoming a bit of a diva. In 1990 she uttered a line that went down in the annals of fashion historywhen she said that models like herself don’t get out of bed for less than $10,000 a day.
  • The comment certainly earned plenty of groans, but it did little to diminish her stature in the modeling world. In 1997, Evangelista received a special lifetime achievement award at the 1997 VH1 Fashion and Music Awards. In addition, MTV ranked Evangelista second in its list of top models of the 1990s.
  • After briefly retiring from the catwalk in 1998, Evangelista returned to modeling in 2001. She’s continued to work well into her forties. In 2012 she appeared on the cover of the Italian edition of Vogue.

linda-evangelista-baby.jpg

Personal Life

• In 1987, Evangelista married Elite model agency boss Gerald Marie. They split up in 1993.
  • Over the years, Evangelista has been linked romantically to a number of high-profile men, including French soccer player Fabien Barthez, Sex and the City cast member Kyle MacLachlan, and French billionaire Francois-Henri Pinault. She dated him dated for several months beginning in 2005, is the father of her only child, a son named Augustin James Evangelista, who was born October 11, 2006.
  • Her relationship with Pinault, who is now the husband of actress Salma Hayek, took an ugly turn in 2012 when Evangelista sued for child support. After several days of courtroom drama, the former couple reached an undisclosed settlement.

linda-evangelista-canadian-supermidel.jpg

http://www.torontofa...da-evangelista/[

[Left: Linda Evangelista is a top international model who rose to fame in the late 90s]

Loewe says that the Canadian model is one of the few top models that changed the concept of the fashion industry in the late 90s. “

New York Giants chairman Steve Tisch, Peter Morton, and Linda Evangelista attend the 2013 National Resource Defense Council Game Changer Awards at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel on March 14, 2013 in New York City.

Linda+Evangelista+2013+National+Resource+Defense+cJPBLBY4AsDl.jpgLinda+Evangelista+Arrivals+NRDC+Game+Changer+RvzUlG6nlB4l.jpgLinda+Evangelista+Arrivals+NRDC+Game+Changer+Zja7ooPAWCMl.jpgLinda+Evangelista+Arrivals+NRDC+Game+Changer+pdRJXEk8SyNl.jpg

zimbio.com