Bellazon

Linda Evangelista
Thumbnail

dcrim

^Very interesting. Thanks, versustito. I read in one of the online articles regarding this event that Karl and Linda sat at a table, talking at length. I can't help but wonder if she's going to do be doing more work for him. Perhaps a campaign? A fashion editorial? Or better yet, a walk down his runway? :drool: Hmmm...

yes I agree with your point ^ plus if Linda is working along side some of the newer models/photogs, it can give her a new audience. (Like I've seen happen with Kate & Naomi, sadly alot of the young people who follow fashion think they're the only important 90s models to exist (lol) since they kept working prominently... and some of the others seem to be the "forgotten" ones or dont seem to get the same respect those two do. :/

My dream is to see multi Vogue Italia covers with 90s Supers paired along side a top model from today. I think that could be very interestng. I liked the editorial La Linda did with Raquel Zimmerman.

Love your point about working with the newer models/photogs and giving her a new audience. Linda did this for awhile after her comeback in 2001, but then her loyalties seemly returned solely to Meisel again. Then, she gained weight and worked for L'Oreal. Sorry, I realize L'Oreal is a big, glossy contract, but in my opinion, it's so commercial and lacks creativity. I don't know, these days, I really like when she works for others (i.e. Mert & Marcus for Talbots campaign). But maybe I should keep my mouth shut, otherwise the powers-that-be might be reading this and she'll never get an Italian Vogue cover again. :rofl:

Reaching out to the younger generation would truly be beneficial for Linda, but I wonder if she even cares. She rarely does interviews, and when she does them, she reveals little. I get why she doesn't like them, because the interviews tend to backfire on her. But she does have a public relations issue which will probably keep her from ever being as popular as Kate Moss or Naomi Campbell. For example...

1) The 10k joke, told to Jonathan Van Meter in an interview with American Vogue in 1990. In 2001, she frustratingly stated that the 10k joke would probably be engraved on her tombstone. And she's probably right. It will never go away.

2) The botox admission to American Vogue in August 2006. Let's face it, Linda is brutally honest, and was probably botoxing for years, like many other models, but her bold confession made her a media target, and a target to those who don't understand botox. Since that confession, how many times have we read and heard others say, "Her face doesn't move", "She's had a lot of plastic surgery", etc. The fans who actually pay attention to her work know this is all a crock, but the haters are going to hate, no matter what.

3) The divorce trial of 2012. I'm so sick of it, I don't even want to go into it.

So even though Anna Wintour, Gaultier, Dolce & Gabbana, Steven Meisel and company will continue to sing Linda's praises as one of the greatest models of all time, she'll never be popular with the public, the younger generation of fashion fans, and certainly will never be as popular as Kate Moss or Naomi Campbell. Let's face it, in the public eye, money is the greater sin over drugs and assault convictions. And again, maybe Linda doesn't care what people think.

And speaking of Vogue Italia, I think you're right about pairing a 90s super with a model of today on their covers, because they seem to be the only Vogue out there that would dare to experiment with such a pairing. I really like what Meisel did in the June issue in the main editorial with that group of classic models. Carolyn Murphy is much younger than some of them but it worked beautifully.

My issue with the whole older+newer models thing is that the older models always seem to be just a token. There'll be like 4 or 5 newer models with an older model thrown into the mix: Linda, or Eva, Naomi, Kristen, Helena, etc.

The Roberto Cavalli S/S 2012 campaign comes to mind. The whole thing looked just plain silly.

I totally get your point, and I certainly agree with you in regards to that Cavalli campaign. But I think a very creative fashion editor and photographer can come up with a gazillion creative scenarios for models of different ages, body shapes and backgrounds. They just need to make the effort. A great example of a great mix of older and younger models is the "Silent" editorial, shot by Meisel for VI in August 2008.

Yikes...it's late. Time to hit the bed, kiddies! :heart:

So even though Anna Wintour, Gaultier, Dolce & Gabbana, Steven Meisel and company will continue to sing Linda's praises as one of the greatest models of all time, she'll never be popular with the public, the younger generation of fashion fans, and certainly will never be as popular as Kate Moss or Naomi Campbell. Let's face it, in the public eye, money is the greater sin over drugs and assault convictions. And again, maybe Linda doesn't care what people think.

And speaking of Vogue Italia, I think you're right about pairing a 90s super with a model of today on their covers, because they seem to be the only Vogue out there that would dare to experiment with such a pairing. I really like what Meisel did in the June issue in the main editorial with that group of classic models. Carolyn Murphy is much younger than some of them but it worked beautifully.

Realistically, does it matter if young people assume that Naomi or Kate Moss were the top models of the 90s based off the modeling work that the two of them are doing NOWADAYS? It's just sheer ignorance, and it's up those young people to inform themselves on how things actually happened in the 90s. The information is out there.

In all honesty, I think Naomi's career overall owes a great deal to the fact that her name was promoted as part of "The Trinity" along with Linda & Christy. Had Naomi tried to establish a big career for herself all on her own, I don't think it would've happened. Not to mention that she's too troubled, too much of an unstable personality.

And yes, some people bring up Linda's use of Botox as a way to take a swipe at her. When someone makes a comment like, "She can't emote anymore", all you have to do is read between the lines and realize that what they're really saying is, "I'm frustrated because *insert model's name here* didn't get that particular assignment but Linda did."

Now, regarding the idea of putting multiple models on the cover of a magazine such as VI, I'd much rather see just the supers without any younger models included (a la the December 2011 issue of Harper's Bazaar UK). If anyone deserves a VI cover anytime soon, it's Helena Christensen.

And yes, some people bring up Linda's use of Botox as a way to take a swipe at her. When someone makes a comment like, "She can't emote anymore", all you have to do is read between the lines and realize that what they're really saying is, "I'm frustrated because *insert model's name here* didn't get that particular assignment but Linda did."

I could not have stated this better myself. So true. This used to make me angry, particularly at "that other fashion forum", but now, more than anything else, it makes me very sad. Linda just doesn't deserve that. No one does. It's mean and it's cruel.

In regards to Naomi, this really isn't the thread to talk about her, but I will say that I don't agree with your assessment of her. In an industry - the entire world even - where racism is rampant, and was worse back then - who really knows? If we were in a perfect world where girls like Naomi had an equal opportunity like the white girls, I think Naomi's career would have been very strong, whether she was part of The Trinity or not. IMHO, there are very few that owned the catwalk like Naomi did. She was electrifying.

Hi guys,missed you and missed your classy thread. :wave:

What really attracted me to post now is Linda's latest Chanel look,so amazing outfit,so amazing hair,make up,everything indeed,I like the whole look.

thanx all for your always updated posts. :flower:

Model Linda Evangelista (L) and son Augustin James Evangelista attend the Los Angeles Kings vs the New Jersey Devils game five during the 2012 Stanley Cup final at the Prudential Center on June 9, 2012 in Newark, New Jersey.

zimbio.com

post-4242-0-81367600-1339621828_thumb.jp

post-4242-0-93565300-1339621829_thumb.jp

post-4242-0-51503500-1339621832_thumb.jp

post-4242-0-53366100-1339621833_thumb.jp

post-4242-0-44216400-1339621834_thumb.jp

post-4242-0-78394600-1339621835_thumb.jp

Hi guys,missed you and missed your classy thread. :wave:

What really attracted me to post now is Linda's latest Chanel look,so amazing outfit,so amazing hair,make up,everything indeed,I like the whole look.

thanx all for your always updated posts. :flower:

So good to see you here, Mahi! :wave: Whether one loves or hates that outfit, Linda certainly stood out. I, too, liked the whole look. I remember reading an interview where Linda talks about how she enjoys wearing a designer's entire look, exactly as the designer envisioned and presented it on the runway.

Thanks to everyone for the recent contributions to this thread. Spiral, I really enjoyed watching that Isaac Mizrahi S/S 1990!