Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Shepherd

Tomb Raider (2018)

Recommended Posts

Lara Croft finds herself searching for her missing father during his search for the ancient Dagger of Xian on an uncharted Chinese island.

Cast:  Alicia Vikander, Walton Goggins, Daniel Wu, and Dominic West.

Release date: March 16, 2018.

 

https://archaeologyoftombraider.com/2017/03/30/first-official-pics-of-alicia-vikander-as-lara-croft-official-synopsis-released/

 

   lcroft010417image1.jpg    lcroft010417image2.jpg    lcroft010417image3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This new movie appears to be inspired by the recent Tomb Raider re-boot.  I personally don't like her new design

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They've nailed the look of the recent games, that's for sure. Here’s hoping they can do something interesting with the story. If I'm honest, it still surprises me when video game movies turn out so badly, especially when they're based on games that are genuinely immersive. Perhaps this can be the one to break the cycle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very much agreed @Michael*.  They've absolutely nailed the look of the new games, especially that of the first game in the rebooted series.  Only way that they could have gotten closer would have been to have cast Camilla Luddington, the actress who performed the voice work and motion capture for the video games, as Lara.  Still, Alicia Vikander does look more like Lara than I thought she would. 

 

This is one that I'm cautiously optimistic for.  There's no reason why it can't be a success, if they treat it like a straight-up action/adventure film in the style of an updated Indiana Jones-type of film, then they should be fine.  They'll only tank it if they can't get over the fact that they're making a video game film, a pitfall that's ruined many seemingly promising attempts over the years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2017 at 0:51 PM, VS19 said:

There's no reason why it can't be a success, if they treat it like a straight-up action/adventure film in the style of an updated Indiana Jones-type of film, then they should be fine.  They'll only tank it if they can't get over the fact that they're making a video game film, a pitfall that's ruined many seemingly promising attempts over the years. 

 

I do find that’s usually the problem, perhaps coupled with the lack of interactivity and the shorter time a movie has to tell a story. Much, much shorter in some cases, when comparing to the length of certain in-game stories.

 

In the case of this particular property, my expectations are a little higher. I don’t think it's too much of a stretch to say that they could just adapt the plot of the game, which (in the nicest possible way) is reasonably linear. The island it was set on was almost a character in itself. :yes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^

 

The basic "search for dad" was the part of the plot for "The Last Crusade".

 

I think the irony is that the current generation of games is so immersive that I don't have a strong desire to see them in film form as film seems too limiting.  eg. The Witcher III series is Game of Thrones in sheer scale but it also has depth in ways that film or TV can't develop.  Then we have bioshock, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, etc. that is so massive in lore that it would take a HBO series and a gigantic budget to re-create.

 

Horizon Dawn however, is small enough for Movie form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When they announced Alicia would play Lara, I was worried it was a bad choice. I think she's great, of course, but I was worried she was too small. I'm sure with movie magic, etc. she will be fine in the role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2017 at 2:15 AM, jkjk said:

When they announced Alicia would play Lara, I was worried it was a bad choice. I think she's great, of course, but I was worried she was too small. I'm sure with movie magic, etc. she will be fine in the role.

 

The promotional material we've seen up to now is very reminiscent of the rebooted Tomb Raider games, which leads me to believe that Alicia will do fine. It would of course be much harder to find an actress to match Lara's original appearance. Even by video game standards, she was drawn in an exaggerated way that few women on earth would be able to visually represent. :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Michael* said:

 

The promotional material we've seen up to now is very reminiscent of the rebooted Tomb Raider games, which leads me to believe that Alicia will do fine. It would of course be much harder to find an actress to match Lara's original appearance. Even by video game standards, she was drawn in an exaggerated way that few women on earth would be able to visually represent. :laugh:

 

When I said small I wasn't even thinking about that, I really meant petite (shorter and smaller-framed).

 

But you are right about comically exaggerated way Lara has looked. :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in the game, she routinely knocks out 200 pound men with her fists and rock climbs in sub-zero temperatures in a light jacket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2017 at 9:41 PM, jkjk said:

When I said small I wasn't even thinking about that, I really meant petite (shorter and smaller-framed).

 

But you are right about comically exaggerated way Lara has looked. :smile:

 

Oh, I wasn't really thinking of it specifically in those (:blush:) terms either, just noting that Lara's physical design errs considerably more on the side of realistic these days. Alicia is rather slight of course, but it's believable to me that she could pack a punch if she wanted to and, most importantly, have a high amount of strength and endurance.

 

Only thing that concerns me a bit is her posh British accent. Having seen her try one out in Testament of Youth, while it was by no means bad, it was pretty clear that she wasn't a native speaker. :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a new publicity shot of Alicia as Lara, courtesy of Entertainment Weekly. Sadly, no pictures of her locking the butler in the cupboard have surfaced yet. ;)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We now have our Tomb Raider poster in all its weirdly Photoshopped glory, with the first teaser expected to be upon us tomorrow morning.

 

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_DKBLvntW0AAJf3w.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As promised, the first official trailer. :hehe:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The poster is pretty bad.  The trailer is considerably better, although still there seems to be something off about it.  Doubt I'll see this one in theaters, but I'll definitely check it out when it arrives on Blu-ray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard that the female lead from star wars auditioned and lost the part for Tomb Raider.  

 

She's a cutie but the film looks very generic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2017 at 2:00 AM, VS19 said:

The poster is pretty bad.  The trailer is considerably better, although still there seems to be something off about it.  Doubt I'll see this one in theaters, but I'll definitely check it out when it arrives on Blu-ray.

 

I'm of a similar opinion. I think it's the intentional focus on the gravity-defying jumps which, although they were always a staple of the games, feel a little out of place here. Some of the CGI stuff comes across as rough around the edges too, understandable I suppose given that there's still a long way to go until the release date, but it does hurt the trailer a bit. :mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 2:06 AM, Cult Icon said:

I heard that the female lead from star wars auditioned and lost the part for Tomb Raider.  

 

She's a cutie but the film looks very generic

 

Given my ultimate pick I would have gone for Hayley Atwell, but the reboot did feel like the sort of thing that might have fallen into the lap of a Daisy Ridley. I think the difficult part is less finding a great actress to play Lara, it's finding one who has that as well as the level of athletic credibility they'd need to bring to the role. Daisy showed bits of that in Force Awakens, we'll have to wait and see with Alicia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×