Bellazon

The Political Correctness Haters' Club

Sarah.Adams

^ The next couple of minutes are not that good for Don Michael (and he ends up calling for Fredo).

What pulls you back in?  Is it something like this: "However much we are affected by the things of the world, however deeply they may stir and stimulate us, they become human for us only when we can discuss them with our fellows" (that's Hannah Arendt)

another related to exercise:

There are too many gym-goers that are jacked but have a big gut and fat face.  It's better than being a soft fatso but seeing them attend gyms regularly seem rather redundant as they aren't paying close attention to their diet.

@Enrico_sw  do you think Bruce Lee was a legitimately great fighter or was he more of showman?giphy.gif

He is certainly a "cult icon" and is legendary.

But I have my doubts that he could defeat someone with high pain tolerance and size like Tyson or a UFC fighter while weighing 140 pounds @ 5 foot 7 inches tall-  he seems more of a showman with extremely fast twitch muscles.  

I know that he did public demonstrations like the "one inch punch" to show off his strength but these are easily exaggerated/faked.

18 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

@Enrico_sw  do you think Bruce Lee was a legitimately great fighter or was he more of showman?

He is certainly a "cult icon" and is legendary.

But I have my doubts that he could defeat someone with high pain tolerance and size like Tyson or a UFC fighter while weighing 140 pounds @ 5 foot 7 inches tall-  he seems more of a showman with extremely fast twitch muscles.  

I know that he did public demonstrations like the "one inch punch" to show off his strength but these are easily exaggerated/faked.

I think Bruce Lee's technique is really remarkable. It's undeniable that he is gifted. He knows how to use ALL the muscles in his body and that's a great advantage. The most effective punch (or kick, etc.) is the one give with the strength of all the body: legs, waist, arm, chest, etc. That's what they always teach in martial arts. And Bruce Lee has a great mastery of his body, and that's not so easy to get.

So, he's definitely a great showman with great techniques. Now to know if he's a great fighter, we'd have to see him in a real fight (in the street or on a ring). In a fight, technique is important, but it's not the only thing: rage, fortitude, endurance, spirit, adrenaline, etc. are also important. I've never seen him in a real fight and I don't think there are videos of that.

In a real fight, the reptilian brain becomes the first brain, so it's eat or be eaten. Predator or prey.  Tyson is a f*** beast, he has indeed high pain tolerance, he's endurant, he's full of rage, adrenaline is a booster for this dude, but his techniques are mostly punches. Lee's technical set is more complete, but that's all we know on him, we don't know his "reptilian" abilities. So, I think it's impossible to predict how Lee would be, facing him.

Public demonstrations are always "techniques", so it's somehow "fake", but it's one of the tools of a good fighter.

Muscles and resistance are important, but if you break a joint, break balls, pierce eyes (like in a real fight), the dude is out... Also, a guard told me that people under strong drugs can be very dangerous, because they don't feel pain and their adrenaline is maxed out.

E. Hobson: a woman against PC and feminism. She calmly explains how these ideologies created a fake "sex war" that doesn't exist (and that shouldn't exist).

PC and all the "-isms" like feminism (that are basically communitarianism) are so caricatural that they'll be terminated in the next decades. Future thinkers are sprouting and their thought is structured against PC. :Dinah:

Bye, bye, political correctness! :hello:  You go away soon and you won't be missed!

The young generation don't listen to mainstream media (that became BS media) and they are often anti-PC. The PC preachers (who are always trying to enrol young minds) will have a surprise one day (let's hope that their anti-PC will turn into something more positive in the end)

To me it is more impressive if there was someone with the technique and speed of Lee or IP Man with real competitive experience AND physical prowess.  In reading about Lee it seems like he developed his body mainly for visual purposes rather than practical purposes.  This is Lee sparing.  I think it's notable that his form (Jeet Kun Do) is unusually entertaining to watch:

imho his style deserves some criticism. A long time ago I read a book about his techniques. It is overly flashy and looks like it wastes movements/user energy.  Wing Chun is also rather "theatrical" and is used in a lot of Hong Kong Chinese martial arts movies..

maxresdefault.jpg

This is IP Chun, a master of Wing Chun.  Bruce Lee briefly trained under his father, the famous "IP Man".   Not sure how practical this is.  One solid blow to this old man from Tyson and he's in trouble.

15 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

Muscles and resistance are important, but if you break a joint, break balls, pierce eyes (like in a real fight), the dude is out... Also, a guard told me that people under strong drugs can be very dangerous, because they don't feel pain and their adrenaline is maxed out.

That's pretty much my fighting experience as a child- I fought bullies and people I disliked and won all the fights despite having lower athletics than most of them.  When it counted, I hated them a lot more than they hated me.   The last time I fought someone was when I was 20 and it got me arrested and fined for disorderly conduct & I had to do half a year of anger-management.  a characteristic of some of my childhood fights was that I would 1. Attack them first with the benefit of surprise 2. throw objects at them. 3. hit them repeatedly in the side of the head, which gave one a concussion and the other one had to get stitches

From experience in weight training I am currently (at only 145-150 lbs) about as strong in certain areas as when I was 180-190.  This has proven to me that muscle density is a real thing although there are limits to how someone can go at a low weight.  Bruce Lee was most probably much stronger than the 130-140 lb man he was.

15 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

I think Bruce Lee's technique is really remarkable. It's undeniable that he is gifted. He knows how to use ALL the muscles in his body and that's a great advantage. The most effective punch (or kick, etc.) is the one give with the strength of all the body: legs, waist, arm, chest, etc. That's what they always teach in martial arts. And Bruce Lee has a great mastery of his body, and that's not so easy to get.

Somehow in a real competitive fight or a real fight he would probably dodge a lot of blows and get away very easily but imho have problems doing a knock-out with his blows being all jabs to a heavy-weight boxer.

8 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:

This guy brings civil discussion and he is really a sensible dude. I like guys like him.

It's good that he speaks of this and like this, because there are millions of people who think reasonably like that, but who can't speak up because they're afraid of the PC's karma police....

8 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

I think it's the only footage of him in a fight, but it's an "indoor" fight, with a friend and protection. Not a "ring fight" or a street fight. There's a lot less adrenaline here.

imho his style deserves some criticism. A long time ago I read a book about his techniques. It is overly flashy and looks like it wastes movements/user energy.  Wing Chun is also rather "theatrical" and is used in a lot of Hong Kong Chinese martial arts movies..

A martial art is always theatrical when it's just indoor training. If the punches are in the air or with a sparring partner (= friend), it's just the technique that they learn. They don't learn how to hit and get hit.

A MMA fighter knows what pain is and how to hurt, because the opponent is not a friend. That makes him more dangerous.

Some say that even boxers or fighters can be destabilized in real life. Because on a ring, you get hit, but there's always a referee, a medic, and, the opponent is here to hit you, not to kill you. In real life, with real lethal danger, some people's reptilian brain may react badly to the stress (even if they are strong and skilled - though normally it should give you more confidence)

To me it is more impressive if there was someone with the technique and speed of Lee or IP Man with real competitive experience AND physical prowess.

Definitely.

Somehow in a real competitive fight or a real fight he would probably dodge a lot of blows and get away very easily but imho have problems doing a knock-out with his blows being all jabs to a heavy-weight boxer.

It really depends how he reacts to adrenaline. I think this fight is interesting.

Also, a tough guy still have weak points (like joints or balls). In a fight where everything is allowed, he could destroy a guy with one hit at the right place. :laugh:

5 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

This guy brings civil discussion and he is really a sensible dude. I like guys like him.

It's good that he speaks of this and like this, because there are millions of people who think reasonably like that, but who can't speak up because they're afraid of the PC's karma police....

PC culture hurts more than it helps.