Bellazon

Sergio Ramos
Thumbnail

Tali

Ramos nominated for Solidarity Award

The Madridista defender makes the shortlist along with Tania Elesegui, Pau Gasol, Jorge Lorenzo and Tommy Robredo

Realmadrid.com

Having collaborated on numerous initiatives to assist the less fortunate through sports, Sergio Ramos has been nominated for the second annual Solidarity in Sports Award.

Other finalists include Tania Elesegui (golf), Pau Gasol (basketball), Jorge Lorenzo (motorcycling) and Tommy Robredo (tennis). The winner will be determined by a panel of sports icons including Emilio ButragueƱo on 15 December.

Organized by the Fundacion SOS, the Spanish Olympic Committee and the Spanish Paralympic Committee, the awards are divided into three categories: the most supportive NGO, company and athlete.

During the event, the Fundacion SOS' "Doce Meses, Doce Derechos" ["Twelve Months, Twelve Rights"] calendar will be unveiled; another initiative that Ramos has taken part in to promote the inalienable rights of children.

Sergio and Frederic KanoutĆ© are once again going to host a charitable football game for Maliā€™s children. According to Marca, the game will take place on Dec. 29 in Madrid. Sergio will captain a side made up of the best footballers from the Liga BBVA, while KanoutĆ© will lead team Africa United.

Ramos: Real Madrid are the best

Real Madrid right-back Sergio Ramos insists that they are currently the best footballing side in the world.

Jose Mourinho's charges' barnstorming start to the campaign continued when they thrashed Athletic Bilbao 5-1 on Saturday evening to set themselves up nicely for their "El-Clasico" encounter against Barcelona next week.

In fact, Barca fine tuned their own preparations for their blockbuster clash in some style, caning a hapless Almeria outfit 8-0.

Nevertheless, defender Ramos is adamant that Real, and not Barca currently reign supreme as the crĆØme de la crĆØme of world football.

He said on the club's official website: "I hope football fans enjoy a great match next week and that we bring a win back to Madrid.

"We don't need to pay attention to anyone but ourselves.

"We have our own identity and we hope to stay on track. This is the best team in the world by far."

The rampaging Spanish wingback also spoke about the decision for him to convert Real's third goal from the penalty spot after designated penalty taker Cristiano Ronaldo relinquished his spot kick duty to Ramos.

Ramos remarked to AS: "On the pitch everyone was surprised.

"There's usually an order, but I was confident and had a thorn in my side because I hadn't scored and normally I have a decent goal average. I hope this is the start of a good run."

Real and Barcelona face off in their maiden meeting of the season on November 29.

by unamadridista

Originally, Iker was scheduled to speak, but Sergio asked the club to allow him to talk to the press. During the press conference, he revealed that he had spoken yesterday with Puyol and Xavi to ask them to apologize, and he also asked everyone for their forgiveness for his expulsion. He also recognized that his tackle against Messi was ā€œa bad image for children,ā€ that he was wrong to do so and that his intention was not to injure the player. He added that, Barcelona played a great game, and the only thing left to do is congratulate them, because things turned out well for them and we had one of those rare days where nothing worked in our favor.ā€ And he wouldnā€™t be Sergio without also saying that he didnā€™t like some of the actions of the Barcelona coach and players.

As for Madrid, Sergio said that the team was hurt after the game for letting down the escudo that they defend, the shirt they wear, and that they didnā€™t like the image they projected, or the suffering of madridistas: ā€œit gets to you. Now is the time to bring out the pride that has always personified Real Madrid. There have been good and bad moments, and Madrid has always come out on top. We didnā€™t lose the Liga, it was only three points. We have to continue working hard with a lot of responsibility and humility. We have to be more united than ever, to be a piƱa and to keep going forward.ā€

He also touched upon his red card record, pointing out that he had never injured anyone in his expulsions, and a lot of them were double yellows, not straight reds, for protesting or wasting time. He revealed that he was worried about the image heā€™s giving to kids, and asked for their forgiveness as well.

Sergio also said the club did well in appealing UEFAā€™s decision, because ā€œwe didnā€™t do anything bad. We werenā€™t seeking to receive those cards, but each person can think what they like.ā€

And, he also threw his support behind Xavi for the Ballon dā€™Or: ā€œheā€™s one of the best candidates and a deserved winner, not only now, but for the last several years. I hope a Spaniard wins it, and hopefully it will be Xavi, whom I have a lot of affection for.ā€

Iā€™m really happy that Sergio took the initiative to speak out, I like what he said, I like that he accepted responsibility and I think heā€™s learned a valuable lesson, so we can only expect good things from our segundo capitĆ”n from now on.

Puyol plays down Ramos spat

Barcelona captain Carles Puyol has played down the incident at the end of last night's `El Clasico` blockbuster.

Sergio Ramos was shown a straight red card after scything down Lionel Messi in the 90th minute of Madrid`s 5-0 defeat at the Nou Camp, and in the ensuing fracas between the rival teams Ramos put his hands into the faces of Barca duo Puyol and Xavi as they remonstrated with him.

However, Puyol, who was pushed to the floor by his fellow Spain international, made light of the incident, saying in AS: "These things happen in a game of football. I`ve gone to defend a team-mate of mine because it seemed a very tough tackle.

"They are moments of high tension, but what happens on the pitch stays on the pitch. I have a very good relationship with Sergio Ramos and it`s already forgotten, I have more important things to think about."

Puyol added: "There are always different piques with the players from Madrid because they are our biggest rivals. Put it`s a pique on the field of play. We have many friends in the other camp."

Regarding the match, which saw Barca move two points above previously-unbeaten Madrid at the top of the table with their fifth successive Clasico win, Puyol said: "I didn`t expect a thrashing like that. But when you least expect it, it can happen. Now we need to enjoy this victory.

"We had a very complete game and played very well. We started very aggressively, playing our football and everything went perfectly."