Bellazon

Sergio Ramos
Thumbnail

Tali

by unamadridista

Here is the last part from Sergio’s appearance on Punto Pelota.

Roberto Morales: And also a lot of former madridistas, such as Zidane, and people from the vestuario, Rafa van der Vaart and Mohamadou Diarrá, and this year especially Kaká, who is a very charitable person.

JP: Now we’re going to have some messages from viewers. Ever since we knew we were going to have you on, we’ve been advertising you.

SR: (laughing) Yeah, I saw – “next week, next week…”

JP: We’ve received lots of messages for you, so Irene is going to read some out.

[They talk about some giveaway department store El Corte Inglés is running for fans of Atlético Madrid.]

IJ: Sergio, you’ve said you like to read before going to bed. What’s your favorite book?

SR: The last one I read was Poderosamente, which was given to me as a gift by my brother, and which I really liked, because it opens your mind, makes you think, gives you advice about your personal life…

[This was still the last book he read at World Cup time, so I’m guessing he’s not a speed reader... or perhaps he’s embarrassed by his taste in bedtime reading. I’m picturing a stack of Harlequins on the nightstand...]

IJ: They also ask if you watch Barça games.

SR: Hombre, I love football, so I watch all the interesting games, and the truth is that now more than ever, La Liga games are very interesting.

JP: Do they play better than Madrid?

SR: Differently, no? I still prefer my style, although it’s clear that we don’t have the same security of the players that they have, perhaps, because they’ve been working together a long time, and our project is new and will require some time before it bears fruit.

TR: Are you trying?! You always say you want to improve, but… [lots of crosstalk].

JP: Let’s get back to Irene’s questions…

IJ: They also ask you, Sergio, what you wrote on Cristiano’s game ball yesterday?

SR: Ah, they found out, huh? As a joke, I put “it was thanks to my passes.”

Everyone: Haha, that’s really good!

SR: I said that half of it was mine!

IJ: They also ask if you would take Valdés to the national team as the third goalie?

SR: Someone else is in charge of that. You can’t deny the amazing season that Víctor Valdés is having, but the coach will be the one to put together the list and decide who’s going to South Africa.

PB: And if not, they can take me, I’m really good! [Paco is very old.]

SR: Yeah, we should take Paco!

IJ: They also say, “Sergio, we’re from Barcelona and we’d sign you without a doubt, you’re great” and “you’re a physical force, as well as a great person, I hope you’re at Madrid for many more years.” They also ask what’s worse, the Alcorconazo or the 2-6 loss last season?

SR: Well, the truth is, anytime you’re defeated or eliminated, it’s always going to be bitter and sad… I always try to think positive thoughts to get through it, I try not to let it affect me, because in football everything goes so fast that you can’t sit around crying about a mistake or an elimination.

IJ: Where were you, and what were you doing at the time of La Novena? We’re anxious for you to win La Décima.

SR: I hope to experience it too, to be able to lift up a cup like that of the Champions! I hope that when I retire I’ll have won lots of awards.

IJ: They also ask which player from Barcelona you’d sign?

SR: Uf… that’s really difficult, because Barcelona is a team with a lot of [good] players, but as I’ve said more than once, I’d happily bring Iniesta to Madrid – he’s a fenómeno.

JP: We can see you’ve got a special affection for Iniesta… now let’s go to the phones.

[The caller is Roberto Carlos.]

JP: Good evening -

RC: Good evening, well really, good afternoon for me here.

SR: Robe -

RC: Dime.

SR: What’s up, how are you?

RC: I’m really good, and you, brother?

SR: I’m good, I’m good, the truth is that I miss you, eh? [His accent goes about 50% more Andalucían when talking on the phone, apparently.] The last time I saw him, was in Turkey, playing with la selección…

RC: (interrupting) I went to your house…

SR: Hey, let me tell the story!

RC: Okay, okay.

SR: Yeah, the truth is that I have a lot of affection for Roberto Carlos because he’s always treated me like a brother, ever since I came to Real Madrid, and as I was saying, the last time I saw him, he was in Turkey… I was eating at home, at three in the afternoon, and the doorbell rang, and I was like, “Who’s ringing the doorbell at this time of day?” It was Roberto, he had come from Turkey and he was out for a paseo and he decided to stop by and say hi. As well as being a great footballer, and I think there’s no better leftback in the world, he’s also a great person, and I really miss his affection, and I hope he comes back to visit whenever he can.

JP: Roberto, what about Sergio?

RC: Sergio, for me, like he said, he’s like my brother, I have a lot of affection for him, a lot of respect. He’s a great player, he’s the Spanish player with whom I have the most contact, with him and his family, they’ve always treated me very well, and I’m very proud to have him as my brother.

JP: Will you come back to Madrid one day, Roberto?

RC: To visit, yes.

[General laughter]

TR: He’s coming to the Bernabéu trophy game.

RC: Ah, yeah, there’s a Real Madrid-Corinthians match!

JP: Would you like to work for Madrid in the future, Roberto?

RC: I’d like that a lot, but I’ve got ten more years of football left! I’m not retiring yet!

[end phone call]

IJ: María asks how many tattoos you have, and if you’ll show them to us?

SR: Hmmm… (looks at his clothes). The truth is with this shirt they’re pretty covered up.

JP: How many do you have?

SR: Eight or nine, something like that… nine, but the majority have meaning for me, and have mostly to do with my family, like the initials of my siblings and my parents, the Virgin and a Christ, which are important to me, they help me from day-to-day [nice try, but leave the Catholic schoolboy thing to Jesús, eh?] but I don’t know, it’s something I like, but sometimes they can’t be shown, there’s other times to show them off.

JP: But you can see the one on your wrist…

SR: Yes, and the one on my finger, which is the one that’s in plain sight; it has the initials of my siblings – Miriam, Sergio, and René, and all three of us have it. [This gives Sergio an opportunity to display his middle finger to the camera... he’s very careful to point it downwards!]

IJ: They also ask what you think of the way they imitate you on Crackòvia? We’ve received a lot of messages asking about that!

JP: Have you seen it?

SR: Haha, yeah, I’ve seen it.

JP: Let’s watch a little bit of it.

SR: They’re a little bit exaggerated but the truth is I find them funny.

[They watch the clip, which is not really one of the funniest ones ever, to be honest.]

JP: You seem to take it well.

SR: I have a good sense of humor, and if there’s anyone who’s always, or almost always, joking around, it’s me, so I laugh at these videos a lot. Although they’re a little bit exaggerated, eh?

JP: Just a little bit.

SR: If they did a show here [in Madrid], it probably wouldn’t be quite as bad.

IJ: They also ask if you’d tell a joke, because you tell them very well.

SR: A joke? I don’t know…

JP: Or palmas (flamenco clapping)? A little bit of flamenco?

SR: A little bit, with José, ok.

JP: We’re about to say goodbye, so let’s take one last question for Sergio.

QD: I wanted to ask you about Puyol. Is he a role model for you, for what he has been at Barça?

SR: And for what he has been for Spanish football. I think it’s similar to the case of Raúl, but at Barcelona. You can always learn a lot from this sort of player, this sort of person. And since I share a locker room with him as a member of the national team, I’m very proud to be able to learn from the sort of players who have always served as examples in their clubs.

JP: We’ve got one of jerseys here, would you sign it for us? A viewer can win this shirt very soon…

[He signs the shirt, getting a hand from Paco Buyo so he can write on it properly.]

JP: We’ve got to go soon, so, José Mercé, can we do something with some palmas from Sergio?

JM: If my Sergio wants to sing, I’ll do the palmas for him instead.

SR: Haha, no!

JP: He sings really well, he should sing something!

SR: No, no, if we win the Liga I promise I’ll sing at Cibeles. But for now let him do it.

IC: You have to do it right here!

JM: It’ll be at Cibeles… but I’ll do it. Let’s go.

[José Mercé sings some bulerías, with Sergio providing palmas, and one of the lines is “yo no quiero dinero, quiero a Cibeles con los jugadores que yo quiero”: “I don’t want money, I want to go to the Plaza de Cibeles with the players that I love.”]

JP: Let’s say goodbye to Sergio Ramos, and after this we’re going to have lots of analysis of La Liga, lots of discussion, so let’s say goodbye… that way we can criticize him, once he’s gone!

[This causes a lot of laughter.]

JP: Thanks, Sergio, for being here, and for being the way you are.

SR: Not at all, it was a pleasure being here with you guys.

JP: A round of applause for Sergio!

JP:Anyway, the World Cup is coming up. You’re the DJ of la selección?

SR: Haha, I’m in charge of putting on the music, call it whatever you like. For us, music is something that all of La Roja really likes, and there’s a bit of everything, any kind of music that anyone likes, to motivate the group and the dressing room before going out.

JP: Florentino was the one who brought you to Madrid, no?

SR: Yes.

JP: Do you speak to him?

SR: Yes, I talk with him a lot, and the truth is I’m súper agradecido (very grateful) to him for giving me the opportunity to sign with a club as great as this one, and I hope that both he and I are here for many years.

JP: So you told Florentino, “Bring Mourinho!”, or what?

SR: No, no, not at all. I’m not anyone to tell anyone who to hire, and we’re súper contento (very happy) with Pellegrini at the moment. He and the whole coaching team feel very supported; what he’s doing is unique and what he’s achieved has hardly been achieved by anyone.

JP: Madrid went out of the Champions League in the quarterfinals. Madrid can’t lose in quarterfinals Will not winning La Liga count as a failure?

SR: It will be a huge blow to whoever loses, but whoever wins will really deserve it… [merecedor meritorio - what a way with words!] Sadly, there’s only one Cup, and it can’t be shared.

JP: The 3-0… that cover [of Marca] you did… do you remember?

SR: Which one? (Laughs). People talked about it a lot, but it was clear that we had to win convincingly. I have total faith in my team.

JP: Do you watch Punto Pelota at home?

SR: Yes, yes, we really like it.

JP: We do rag on you, too…

SR: That’s when I put on my headphones, and try to read your lips!

JP: Who criticizes you the most? Roncero?

SR: Yeah, Roncero. I’ve got a few little things to settle with him…

JP: Oh yes?

SR: Sí, sí… he rags on me too much, I think.

JP: What do you think of Mourinho?

SR: I agree [that he’s a good coach], although I don’t know him personally, but from what I know of him, and from what my teammates have said, in the case of Welly (Wesley Sneijder), he’s a coach with a lot of character and a winning spirit, and I think that’s always important in a coach. But it’s clear that if we have to defend anyone, to stick together for anyone, it’s Pellegrini, who’s the coach now.

JP: Time for viewer comments. So far, there’s apparently no bad ones, right, Irene?

Irene Junquera: No, people love him, there are no bad ones. Maybe I haven’t looked hard enough.

SR: Haha, you took the bad ones out.

IJ: No, no, I don’t cut them out.

JP: Let’s see what people have to say…

[They play a video of Irene interviewing people about what they’d say to Sergio.]

Old man: He’s going to win La Liga, with lots of salero (a combination of talent, art, skill and charm).

Old man: I don’t understand anything about football… I watch lots of bullfights though.

Young man with glasses: Fight for the next few games, and win La Liga!

Old man: He’s a fenómeno! Very good, no? But he should be more careful sometimes… he makes me very nervous!

Teenage boy: I’m a fan of Atleti, but you’re better than them, so come to Atleti, no pasa nada [this causes Sergio to laugh more than usual].

Old man: I’d tell him that I’m very jealous because he’s 24 and he plays for Spain, and I’m eighty.

Young guy who looks like Piqué: He’s a genius and I like him a lot.

Old lady: He plays very well. And does he play for Madrid or what? [irene: Madrid...] Yes, yes, I want Madrid to win! Even though I don’t understand… and Barcelona, nothing, eh?

Old man: He plays very well, whether as a fullback or central defender. He does it really well!

Old man: He’s the best one playing for Madrid today, him and Ronaldo.

Old lady: For me, he’s precioso (cute), very handsome! He’s got a great body! [irene: have you seen him up close?] Very close! [irene: oh really?] Yes! [sergio’s face is GENIUS for this one].

Little boy: [irene: do you know who Sergio Ramos is?] Yes. [irene: he’s going to see you, so say something to Sergio Ramos] Hi Sergio, you’re the best.

JP: Do you notice people’s affection for you?

SR: Yes, ever since I signed with Madrid, I’ve been proud of the way I’ve been treated, the affection the fans have, and you notice it every time you step onto the field, and it’s really what motivates you to win and to keep working and getting better every day.

JP: How do you deal with living in the public eye?

SR: One has to be conscious that one is a public figure, and footballers affect a lot of people, especially children and young people, and it’s really satisfying to be able to make people smile, to make children smile.

JP: You were in Milan, and they saw you in Milan, and there was a huge fuss, do you remember?

SR: Yes, of course.

JP: Were you going to sign with them?

SR: Yes, for twenty years from now… Haha, no, nothing like that, it was my birthday and I wanted to go for a stroll, I took my sister and my brother-in-law, and I had dinner with Welly, but after that, they said all kinds of things, that I was eating at Maldini’s restaurant, when I only found out that same day that Maldini even had a restaurant, because I was eating with Welly! I’d just been walking around the area, going into the shops, because I like fashion [*sigh* we know, Sergio], but nothing more than that. It was just a trip to get to know the city a little bit, and see Welly and some friends, and then come home… oh, and to see Cannavaro, too.

JP: You saw Welly? What has Welly said to you?

SR: That he’s really good.

JP: Is he mad at Madrid? [i have no idea what the interviewer is actually saying, just inferring the question from the answer...]

SR: No, no, not at all, he doesn’t have any hard feelings towards Madrid. It’s clear that we lost a great player, but now he has a coach who believes in him and gives him opportunities, who didn’t doubt his quality as a player, and I think he’s responded to that, at a great club like Inter.

JP: They told me you’re crazy about watches, but today, you’re not wearing a watch!

SR: No, today I left it at home. Because later when they take pictures, it will cause glare, and so I decided not to wear one, I just wear them in my everyday life.

JP: How many do you have?

SR: Only a few… three or four.

JP: No, it can’t only be three or four! How many? Thirty? Forty? A hundred?

SR: No, no, not that many! I’d say I have around fifteen.

[boring football talk about the match against Mallorca; since it was last season, it’s even more boring.]

JP: Yesterday we were proposing nicknames to Cristiano Ronaldo, “el Bicho” or “la Bestia.” What do you guys call Cristiano Ronaldo in the dressing room?

SR: Cris, his name. We call him Cris, because it’s shorter. So you get his attention faster. Cri-sti-a-no Ro-nar-do – it takes a lot more time, and by then he’s turned around and gone!

JP: What’s he like?

SR: A really great guy. He’s an enchanting person, as well a great player, we’re really lucky to have the greatest player in the world in our dressing room. He also helps you learn, by seeing how hard he works, it really helps you as an athlete.

JP: There’s a singer that you like, José Mercé…

SR: Yes, as well as being a good friend, he’s been an idol for me since I was very small. He and Niña Pastori – and Camarón – have been the flamenco singers that I have always loved.

JP: Let’s listen to some of his music…

[There’s a pause, as though for technical difficulties, then José Mercé enters singing “Aire,” which is one of Sergio’s favorite songs.]

JP: Sit there, next to Sergio.

JM: Here is a first look, this is my latest album which came out on May 4, it’s called Ruido, and we’re going to win the Liga.

JP: The anthem as sung by Plácido Domingo is nice and all, but the version by José Mercé – it sounds really great, doesn’t it?

[José Mercé sings a bit of the himno, Sergio offers some jaleos - ¡ole!]

JP: José, tell us something about Sergio.

JM: Hombre, as a player we all know what he’s like. And I’m not at all objective talking about football, you know that he’s my favorite! [You and me both, José.] But I can say that as a person, he’s a really great person. I know that he does a lot of things, he helps a lot of people, without any press. And that says it all for me. He’s a great guy, a real humanitarian. No one who gets close to Sergio Ramos and says, “I need this or that” will have to wait even a second before they get it. He’s a person I love because of that, because he’s just a marvellous person.

[They bring in the panel of commentators for the evening.]

JP: Roberto Morales is probably the one who knows Sergio best, apart from José Mercé. What’s he like?

Roberto Morales: I’m really glad for this type of interview, because a lot of times I feel like you don’t really get to know the person. I think he’s like José said, and a lot of people have a mistaken impression of him, but I always like to point out his humility. For me, he’s still the same person who landed in Madrid, from Sevilla, who wanted to win over the world. He has always talked about continuing to grow, and I’m interested to see how he grows over the years, at Madrid and with la selección, because Madrid is a club that devours players, but there are some who will stay, and they will become the bastions of the future, like Sergio and Iker, who are the future captains of Madrid… If I could highlight one thing about Sergio, it’s his humility, above all, and his capacity to learn from his critics, which I think he does so well because the ones who are most critical of him are those around him, his father and his brother.

JP: Is that true?

SR: Totally.

JP: We should have them on Punto Pelota for an interview…

SR: Oh no, I can’t handle that!

Quim Domènech: I don’t know if he really wanted to be a bullfighter or not, he says not, but in these situations, the truth is that he “torea bien” [literally, he bullfights well, but here it means that he’s good at being diplomatic and artfully answering sticky questions]. It surprised me that he so flatly rejected the possibility of someday signing for Barça, and that he was equally adamant that Cristiano Ronaldo is the best player in the world. When you see Messi’s performances, don’t you have a few doubts about that?

SR: It’s inevitable that there will be comparisons between two really great players, and it’s clear that in the past season especially, Messi has shown himself to be one of the best players in the world, in my opinion. They’re both different, but they’re very good players, but personally I would still pick Cristiano, particularly for the way he’s been playing recently, which has been decisive for our team.

QD: And since you’re a supporter of Sevilla, and you still have contacts with the Sevilla players, how many of them have you called up in the past few hours to say “Let’s go, guys!”?

SR: In the past few hours, and every hour until the match! Since I left Sevilla, there’s been a spirit of friendship, it’s a tremendous group, and I’ve kept in touch with a lot of the players, the ones who are still there and the ones who have left: Javi Navarro, Pablo Alfaro, Renato, Jesús Navas, Negredo… I’ve kept in touch because the important thing is that, after being a footballer and a teammate, you’re left with a friendship. And I’ve still got that with Sevilla. And since the world of football is always in motion, it just so happens that we’re playing Bilbao at home, and Barcelona is playing in my old stadium! And what better field? Sevilla is having a really good moment, and they’d do us a big favor if they won!

JP: Have they told you “tranquilo, Sergio”? (As in, have they told you, “It’s okay, we got this”?)

SR: Hombre… (he starts to give his canned response)

JP: We know, they’re a great team, blah, blah, but have any of them said, “It’s okay, we got this?”

SR: I think the team itself has to be convinced that they’re going to win, you know?

JP: Do you know that?

SR: Unfortunately, we aren’t in a position to depend on ourselves, we’re also depending on Barça (to lose), but hopefully we can get those three points.

Paco Buyo: Sergio is like me, we’re from Madrid, we’re from Sevilla, we have those things in common. A lot of friends in Sevilla and we share some feelings, no? I remember when he started playing in the youth teams, and they told me what kind of player he was… The Sevilla school of football is just spectacular, and it produces geniuses like Sergio, who are great footballers and great people. And the capacity for improvement that he has, look – I went to Madrid at 24 and by 27 I was at the top of my game, but he’s going to be there until he’s 35 and there are no more records to break.

sergioramos1.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sergio Ramos at El País

by unamadridista

He’s the youngest player to reach 50 games with the national team. He’s the fullback with the highest number of steals in the Liga. He’s the second captain of Real Madrid. He’s not yet 25 years old. His name is Sergio Ramos, and he wants more.

Q: What do you see when you watch the DVDs of games at home?

A: I see a team that enjoys playing football, that works hard, that knows how to pull back and dominate when it’s necessary, something that we weren’t so good at before, and that is good physically. Our physical state is helping us out.

Q: What has Mourinho brought tactically?

A: He’s a perfectionist that has infected us with this quest for perfection. That makes each one want to improve, in each training session. He’s a very direct person, who communicates well with players, and that gives you tranquility when you go onto the field. He talks to you during the entire week about what the team you’re going to face is like and what player you’ll have to defend against on the wing. He keeps you updated.

Q: Does he ever raise his voice?

A: He doesn’t shout much. He’s very direct when he criticizes a player. It’s not necessary to scream to make someone better. It’s enough to tell it to one’s face, clearly and honestly.

Q: And is he capable of making you laugh?

A: Of course. He’s extraordinary with the players in everything. When he has to be serious, he is, and when it’s time to joke around, he’s the first one to do so.

Q: Does he frighten you?

A: No. But he does make you respect him. He’s the boss. What he says is above everything else.

Q: How does he coach you all?

A: Normally, the moods of the players that play the least are not the same as those of the starters. But with Mourinho, you have to demonstrate that you’re worth it in every session. He pressures a lot. We work with the ball a lot, and we also change exercises. The body notices that.

Q: And the physical preparation?

A: With the ball. Here, we’ve had everything. There were coaches that made us run laps, that made us do resistance exercises. Some took us to Austria to climb mountains. With Mou, it’s always about the ball. And now we’re all in great shape, and we haven’t suffered.

Q: Did you all speak previously about playing with one less defender when you had to make a comeback, such as during the games in Alicante and Milan?

A: No. They were improvisations of the míster.

Q: What do you think about Di María?

A: All of us are very happy with him. He helps out with defense and he’s very fast. I think in general both Fideo and Sami fit in well with us. Fideo will be an important footballer.

Q: You’re the fullback with the most number of steals in the Liga. One every seven minutes. Why?

A: It makes me happy to surpass myself. I’m also happy that I’m not receiving as many cards this year; I’ve only received two. That’s a record for me. And that’s related to the recoveries of the balls. My concentration is better. One’s mood is also important for this. For a footballer, having self confidence is fundamental. After six years in Madrid, and now as second captain, I’m feeling great mentally and physically.

Q: When was the first time you spoke with Mourinho?

A: He called me on the phone when he knew that he was coming. He called all the international players. These types of things make him different. He told me that I had to show who I was in a World Cup, to stay calm. He also wished me luck.

Sergio Ramos at Soccer Is Life

November 13, 2010

by unamadridista

It may seem like Xabi is getting all the attention lately, but there are people who haven’t forgotten about Sergio Ramos. He’s on the cover of magazine Soccer Is Life, and there is of course more pictures and an interview inside.

* Home

* A Stalker’s Guide to Real Madrid

* Iker & his jerseys

Sergio Ramos at Soccer Is Life

November 13, 2010

tags: sergio

by unamadridista

It may seem like Xabi is getting all the attention lately, but there are people who haven’t forgotten about Sergio Ramos. He’s on the cover of magazine Soccer Is Life, and there is of course more pictures and an interview inside.

The most interesting part is how he’s been styled. If you were ever wondering what he’d look like with short hair (i.e. nothing in the back), these pictures will tell you. I love his hair in the above picture, but not so much in some of the other ones where it’s a bit messier. Those remind me of his earlier years at Sevilla. I’m also not a big fan of the suits they put him in. Where are Xabi and/or Álvaro’s wife Carlota when we need them?

Q: Sergio, you made Spanish football history in becoming the youngest player to reach 70 with the national team. What does that mean to you?

A: For me it’s something incredible; I never imagined I would get to that number and I hope to continue working to win more trophies. It’s a tremendous source of pride to see everything that I’ve achieved until now while representing my country.

Q: You’re part of the best generation of footballers in the history of our country. We’re talking about European and world champions.

A: Buff, I hear it and I get goosebumps. With the passing of time, we become conscious of what we achieved. It’s incredible what this group has done.

Q: Which moment is the one you’ll remember out of all those with the national team?

A: I have a lot of memories but I’ll never forget the moment when I raised up the World Cup. It left me in a state of shock.

Q: Let’s go back a few years. You played football in the plaza of Camas. Back then did you ever think that you would one day lift up the World Cup?

A: When you’re a kid, you think about enjoying yourself and you’re constantly dreaming but it never occurs to you that you might one day lift up the greatest title a country can achieve. It’s something that you would never even think about at that age. You only want to have fun, but now this has much more dimension in hindsight.

Q: Do you think this is the best Spanish national team in history? The best team in the history of football?

A: Spain has always had very good generations of footballers, but what happened is that they didn’t have luck until recently. I don’t know if it’s the best team in history, but it is one of the national teams that has defined a style of playing football.

Q: I remember Luis Aragonés criticizing the team during the first stage of the World Cup. Knowing him, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was part of a motivating strategy. Is he a father for this generation? Define Luis for me.

A: For me, Luis is unique in his way of being; he manages to bring out the best of each player. I only have words of gratitude for him because he was the one who gave me the opportunity to live unique moments with the national team, which I’m continuing to live now with Vicente del Bosque. I have been able to correct a lot of my errors thanks to the values that Luis transmitted to me.

Q: And what has Del Bosque brought to this group?

A: Vicente inherited a good base from the previous years, but he has managed to put his own stamp on it. There’s not much else to say when with Vicente we managed to become the best national team in the world

Q: What is left for you to achieve?

A: On the team level, I want to continue winning as many titles as possible with the national team and with Real Madrid. I would especially like to win the Champions League with Real Madrid.

Q: What does a man like you desire?

A: My desire as a footballer is the continue improving and learning day to day, and to continue achieving the objectives that I’ve set throughout my life.

[And your desires as a man are what?? People need want to know!]

Q: Do you see yourself playing throughout your 30s, or do you think you’ll leave football before then?

A: As long as my body and injuries respect me, my desire is to continue playing.

Q: Let’s talk about this new Madrid. What has Mourinho brought to this team?

A: The míster has helped us regain confidence in ourselves. He’s doing a great job, which is reflected out on the field.

Q: There must be something about Mou since in Barcelona, the players, the coaches and even the directors talk almost every day about him. What do you think it is?

A: The míster has a big personality, he’s left his mark and his style of play in all the clubs where he’s worked, and it’s normal that they talk about him for the good job he’s done throughout his professional career.

Q: Does he inspire respect?

A: Of course, as I said before, he’s a great professional that always leaves his mark wherever he goes.

Q: Have you won part of the battle already because of the nervousness that Mou is creating in Barcelona?

A: No. We have to play the games and a rival like Barcelona is always difficult to beat.

Q: What is Madrid going to win this year?

A: Our obligation as Real Madrid players is to fight to win the three titles. That’s the base that we have to start off from every time we put on this shirt.

Q: Is there anything that stops your dreams?

A: No, luckily I’m a privileged person. Only when there is a big problem that can affect me like any other person.

Q: What bothers you about football?

A: That people can judge and talk about a person without really knowing them.

Q: How would you define yourself?

A: I’m a very normal, humble, simple and family-oriented person.

Q: You always have Puerta on your mind. He’s always there whenever you achieve anything, right?

A: Of course. All the titles that I’ve achieved throughout my sporting career are dedicated to him. I’ll never forget him.

Q: It’s been said that you played a big part in helping Navas to integrate into the national team. It’s difficult to find an image of Navas on the national team where you’re not right next to him.

A: Jesús is another of my good friends from the youth teams of Sevilla. He took a big step forward in his career and I just helped him out in any way that I could. He knows that he will always have my unconditional support.

Q: What will Sergio Ramos do when he leaves football?

A: I’m still very young and I hope to have many more years as a footballer in front of me, so right now I don’t even think about my retirement. When the moment gets near, then I’ll start planning.

Thanks to all those who sent these pictures in. I’m not sure where you all got them from, but if they’re yours, let me know and I’ll cite you. If they’re not yours, then continue on with wondering whether Sergio is wearing anything under that blazer.

By the way, I can totally see Xabi in the same outfit and doing the same pose as Sergio below, but perhaps without that slightly creepy half smile.