Bellazon

Sergio Ramos
Thumbnail

Tali

Sergio Ramos to Marca

"Schuster was my idol"

Sergio Ramos sat down with sports daily Marca to answer questions spanning his three years with Real Madrid.

You signed for Real Madrid after your first year as a professional. Give us some insight into your first day in the Galactico dressing room.

I didn't dare say a word. I was embarrased. I'm not shy, but I sure was that day. I got here and was handed Hierro's number '4'. I had number '3' Roberto Carlos to my right and number '5' Zidane to my left. That sure was something! I was standing among my idols! Ronaldo was there; the same player whose shirt I would wear as a kid. And so was Raúl... I was at a loss. I didn't know what to do. No words came out. I waited for them to talk to me. I had coincided with Raúl in national team camp and he was the first to talk to me. Then Roberto Carlos, who's really funny, started giving me a hard time.

Everything moved so fast.

I didn't even have time to think about what was happening. It was hard at first. There were low points, but fortunately my entire family had come to Madrid with me. I really appreciate what they did for me. I work very hard so that they can live as well as possible. I don't know if I would have lasted here had they not come. We all came together and my mom still makes my bed, my food, and everything else I like.

I'm under the impression that the shy guy three years ago is now the prankster.

Ask around and you'll find out. There's a great atmosphere. I'm the one that can never sit still and who is always worried about what others like or dislike. The typical Andalusian in the dressing room. Joaquín, Reyes, Marchena, Torres, Juanito and I are called the Triana group in national team camp. We're always cracking jokes and pulling pranks. We put massage cream in boots, cut off laces... Anyway.

Speaking of boots, yours say 'Schuster. 4. Camas'.

The boss was surprised when he saw them last year because he didn't know the story. My home town of Camas has called me Schuster from Camas since I was small. He was my idol.

Do you now tell your idol-turned-coach what you think when you discuss the game?

Always. I wouldn't be able to relax if I didn't speak my mind. He listens to everyone.

You've played every position except goalkeeper.

And I came very close!

Would you like to play in the midfield some day?

I would love to. I've always liked the position. Caparros gave me that opportunity with Sevilla and so did López Caro and Luxemburgo here. I played between 10 and 15 matches in the midfield and I felt very comfortable. Playing there allows you to contribute in defense by breaking up plays as well as creating them. You have to be in great shape to play there. You also make out the entire pitch. It has great views!

Is it true that you have to hold yourself back from moving up too much?

Yes. Fabio, Pepe, and Iker tell me I have to calm down a little and control myself when my mind is set on moving up because I wouldn't be able to handle the rhythm for 90 minutes.

You're in such good shape that you'd be good at any sport.

I really enjoy tennis. I'm good friends with Rafa Nadal and Feliciano López, but I'm no where near their level. I chose football, but I wouldn't have minded being an elite tennis player because the good ones live really well. Right now I'm learning and getting hooked on golf. I know Sergio García and he's going to give me a few tips next time he's in Madrid.

Do you think the Liga is in the bag?

It's all relative. It depends on us. There's a large point difference if we stay consistent. Realistically speaking, anything can happen. We can lose two matches and Barça will be right there with us. Nothing has been decided.

What do you predict will happen tonight against Villarreal?

Not conceding any goals... A 2-0 win would be good.

3- REAL MADRID: Iker Casillas; Michel Salgado (Drenthe, min.80), Sergio Ramos, Cannavaro, Miguel Torres; Gago, Guti, Baptista (Sneijder, m.73); Robinho (Higuaín, m.88), Raul, and Van Nistelrooy.

2- VILLARREAL: Diego Lopez; Javi Venta, Cygan, Godin, Capdevila; Senna, Bruno (Josico, m.58), Cazorla; Cani (Angel, m.58) Nihat (Tomasson, m.74), and Rossi.

GOALS:

1-0 (m.9): Robinho

1-1 (m.16): Rossi

2-1 (m.56): Robinho

2-2 (m.75): Capdevila.

3-2 (m.76): Sneijder

REFEREE: Alvarez Izquierdo. Booked Gago, Godin, and Senna.

NOTES: Matchday 21 of La Liga played at the Santiago Bernabeu. Attendance: 80,000.

Best Andalusian footballer

Ramos picks up the Antonio Puerta Award

On 28 January Sergio Ramos was presented with the Antonio Puerta Award given by the Andalusian Sports Writers Association.

"I am very grateful and happy to receive this award. This rewards a player's hard work on the pitch and I am proud that they recognized mine. I just want to continue doing what I am doing so I can get even better," said Ramos after picking up the award.

"I'd like to dedicate this award to my friend Antonio Puerta," added the emotional defender. "We're doing well and we're on the right track. We must continue working hard to reach our goal. I want to continue progressing in order to win titles with Real Madrid and the Spanish national team," he concluded.

--

well deserved :heart:

Almeria vs. Real Madrid

Goalkeepers: Casillas and Dudek.

Defenders: Salgado, Ramos, Cannavaro, Marcelo, and Torres.

Midfielders: Diarra, Guti, Balboa, Drenthe, Baptista, Robben, Sneijder, and Robinho.

Forwards: Higuain, Soldado, Raul, and Van Nistelrooy.