Bellazon

Raúl González Blanco
Thumbnail

Dama Fashion_ista

Raúl And Guti Fit For Athletic

Real Madrid will be able to call on Raúl and Guti for their match against Athletic Bilbao on Sunday after the pair shook off the injuries that saw them miss Thursday's session.

Both players were consigned to gymnasium work with the club's physios on Thursday, but took to the training field on Friday and look set to be part of coach Bernd Schuster's starting line-up on Sunday, a game in which Madrid may have the chance to clinch the title depending on results earlier in the weekend.

Guti missed the victory over Racing Santander through suspension and is likely to replace Mahamadou Diarra in central midfield, while Raúl will resume his place up front with Arjen Robben and Robinho operating either side of him.

Everybody in the squad except for Christoph Metzelder was present for Friday's session, including striker Ruud van Nistelrooy, who is right on schedule on his return from sinovitis in his right ankle.

The Dutchman could even make the squad for Sunday's game, although a return against Osasuna next weekend seems like a more realistic proposition, with Madrid keen to get him back to full fitness for their game with Barcelona on the semi-penultimate day of the season.

Schuster does have one suspension to deal with ahead of the Athletic match, with Fabio Cannavaro's absence likely to result in a defensive reshuffle that will see Gabriel Heinze move into the centre of defence and Marcelo come into the side at left-back.

Aragonés: Raúl Is Improving

Spanish national coach Luis Aragonés indicated his belief that Real Madrid striker Raúl has gotten better as the season has progressed among other Spanish national team matters in an interview on Argentine radio.

The Madrid media have launched an offensive throughout the season to get Raúl reinstated into the national team for Euro 2008 and although Aragonés believes he has seen something extra from the striker in recent weeks, he still insists that he will make the decision that is best for the team.

"Raúl is improving and I believe that he will improve more. In his last few starts he has been the best I have seen him this season. Real Madrid are a massive club, but I am the coach, the selector for the Spanish national team and in the end the decision is my responsibility," he told Radiofuria.

"People think that Raúl must be included, but more than anyone I just want to see Spain succeed. In that respect I will not throw stones against my own tile roof."

Possession Is Key

Aragonés feels that keeping hold of possession will be vital if Spain are to taste success at Euro 2008, as he believes that there are a number of other teams that will look to overrun his side with their superior physical attributes.

"In order to win it is important to keep the ball. I have the luck to have only lost four of my forty-six games in charge of the national team - I think that is a good record," he asserted.

"Ever since I took over I have had a number of players who are good in possession and we must make use of that because physically we are not the strongest. In all matches, not only the recent one with Italy, we have won by having much greater possession of the ball and by being patient in looking for opportunities to score.

Best Technically

Spain will take their place in Group D alongside Sweden, Russia and cup-holders Greece, with Aragonés keen to press home the one major advantage he believes they have over their rivals.

"Perhaps technically we are the best team in the group. The others beat us physically, in winning the second ball and in playing a long ball game... but it will be very even," he explained.

"In fact, Greece are the current European champions even though we beat them away from home recently. Let us think that we have possibilities, but to get there we need to be a one hundred percent. The European Championships are very competitive because all the teams are closely matched."