Bellazon

Diabetes

Cult Icon

My father has just finished getting his blood clots removed (neck surgery).  He had a micro-stroke that thankfully only stunned him enough to see the doctor.   He suffers from the triple threat:  Diabetes, high cholesterol, and Gout. The fourth threat is his poor diet discipline.    Medications combat the first two and the third is a minor problem.   But his method of preserving his life is to eat less of whatever he wants while losing way too much weight .  He's become too thin.  I've been trying to educate him but he is stubborn as a mule. 

I recommend him to see a nutritionist but he does not bend.  So I've done work myself and given him amateurish & primitive advice. (eg. starches from beans, oats only- I can't control his habits and I've heard he constantly breaks.  good fats from peanuts and other nuts.  Lean protein (chicken, fish), vegetables).  

All in all, the writing is on the wall.  If he doesn't get his act together, he's going to go onto the path of a real stroke or another surgery.  Two weeks later, he's telling me that he's at "80%" recovery right now but has minor nerve damage on his right eye.

Does anybody know about good meal plans for Diabetics?  (eg. possibly Joe Average, Candle, myfashexp etc.?)  The triple threat makes it difficult to create viable meal plans as the three maladies are effected by lots of food types.

If he doesn't get his act together, I'm going to increase pressure on him and make him see a nutritionist.

PS. Before anybody questions why I post this on a fashion forum, I'm just finishing around the net and will start joining the appropriate forums.  I will enrich everybody with valuable insight after I'm done.

I'm sorry about your father's health issues :( ........... wishing him full recovery from his stroke and surgery.

I don't think I can help ..... my know-how about nutrition is mostly based on trial and error and it's  pointing to a completely opposite direction i.e. young vs old, female vs male, robust metabolic function vs chronic metabolic troubles, extremely active vs sedentary ... etc. From my experience however with people of some age in most cases there's a "discipline" problem not a "know-how" problem ...... they know what to do but for unidentified reasons they don't do it.

thanks :) The part that's not straightforward is creating viable meal plans with the 'triple threat'.  I'm still looking for more cost effective 'wonder staples'. 

I should check out whole foods for ideas.

The thing with him is (being 68) he is set in his ways.

Sorry to hear that about your dad and I'm glad he is recovering.

This is what I would start with:

I would make him take a food survey to find his likes & dislikes.

Try to get him active if he's not already.

Get him to drink a lot of water.

My meal plan usually looks like this:

I try to drink a gallon and a half of water throughout the day.

Breakfast:

2 whole eggs & 2 eggs whites

3 slices of turkey bacon

1 tablespoon of salsa

1 protein up bread

1 grapefruit (ruby red)

Lunch:

1 protein from the following (turkey or black bean burger, salmon, grilled chicken breast, or tuna steak)

low fat oatmeal

string cheese

Snack:

A small handful of cashews to regulate my blood sugar.

banana or apple

Dinner:

1 protein from the following (turkey or black bean burger, salmon, grilled chicken breast, or tuna steak)

1 grain (brown rice, sweet potato, quinoa, barley, or bulgur)

1 vegetable (broccoli, brussel sprouts, spinach, asparagus, or kale)

1 half avocado

Snack before bed:

yogurt with blueberries, strawberries, and honey or high fiber cereal.

Remember food doesn't have to be bland. I pan fry my proteins in either olive or coconut oil and I use a variety of spices for my proteins, vegetables, & grains.

What is a Healthy Diet?

A healthy diet is a way of eating that that reduces risk for complications such as heart disease and stroke.

Healthy eating includes eating a wide variety of foods including:

vegetables

whole grains

fruits

non-fat dairy products

beans

lean meats

poultry

fish

There is no one perfect food so including a variety of different foods and watching portion sizes is key to a healthy diet. Also, make sure your choices from each food group provide the highest quality nutrients you can find. In other words, pick foods rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber over those that are processed.

People with diabetes can eat the same foods the family enjoys. Everyone benefits from healthy eating so the whole family can take part in healthy eating. It takes some planning but you can fit your favorite foods into your meal plan and still manage your blood glucose, blood pressure and cholesterol.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/diabetes-meal-plans-and-a-healthy-diet.html

On 2/22/2016 at 0:22 PM, Stromboli1 said:

Sorry to hear that about your dad and I'm glad he is recovering.

This is what I would start with:

I would make him take a food survey to find his likes & dislikes.

Try to get him active if he's not already.

Get him to drink a lot of water.

My meal plan usually looks like this:

I try to drink a gallon and a half of water throughout the day.

Thanks, this is helpful.   He's active; he's still working as a manager but he'll be retiring soon.  My dad is an extremely picky eater that has a life long love affair with carbs, animal fats, and vegetable oil.  

The main challenge is to find an easy to prepare meal plan that can sustain his body weight.  It seems that with the triple threat it's all about concessions with no silver bullets.  It's sad.

The situation with my dad is made quite bad with his gout and high cholesterol.   Most proteins and beans contribute to gout. I got him to eat a single serving of beans every day and he already has gout symptoms so he took his gout pills and slowed down.  So beans are a no go.

I told him to eat more peanut butter but he hasn't been doing it either.  He  hates all dairy as well but will eat a single yogurt and cup of milk a day.  But that's not enough calories.

The only 'super food' I know of are avocados but he hates eating them & hates paying for them just as much.

I'm going to try to recommend that he eat more egg whites.  I'm thinking the type in the cartons.

What brands are the best ?  you are anybody else?