Bellazon

Fabio Cannavaro
Thumbnail

Georgik

Cannavaro pleased by interest

Fabio Cannavaro admits he has been flattered by interest from Italy, but insists he wants to stay at Real Madrid.

The defender joined Real last summer after leading Italy to World Cup glory, but has had a disappointing first season at the Bernabeu.

He has been linked with a return to former club Juventus and concedes it is pleasing to hear his name being bandied about.

Cannavaro thinks a final decision about his future is unlikely to be made until the end of the season but he maintains he is happy at Real.

"I want to stay here, but I know that at the age of 33, when you fail a season, a club looks around," he told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"I'm not ashamed to say I have been pleased to read about the interest of Italian sides, including Juventus.

"But let's wait until June, then we will see."

The World and European Player of the Year for 2006 added: "I know that in 30 matches, I have played about four of them in a good way.

"The World Cup, the awards, trips, everything has an influence."

Real Madrid take a 3-2 lead to Bayern Munich for the second leg of their UEFA Champions League second round tie, and Cannavaro feels the competition is wide open this season.

Listing who he thinks will make the quarter-finals, Cannavaro said: "Lyon, Arsenal, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Milan, Chelsea, Manchester United and I hope Inter, but their tie with Valencia is the most well-balanced."

Canna: My luck will change

Fabio Cannavaro has admitted that he is struggling for form, but insists that he will eventually impress in the Real Madrid shirt.

Real have disappointed once again in La Liga this term and Cannavaro has been subject to some fierce criticism, especially following his indifferent performance against local rivals Atletico last Saturday.

“I know I’m not on top form,” the Neapolitan stopper admitted after he saw red in the 1-1 derby draw.

“I’ve never made so many mistakes in my career, but I’m working to get back to being the player I was at Juventus and at the World Cup – I’m sure I’ll succeed.

“I know it doesn’t excuse my mistakes, but the whole team isn’t playing well,” he continued.

“Of our 30 matches we’ve only really performed well three or four times and badly five or six, for the rest we’ve been average.”

The pressure on Real boss Fabio Capello has been intense recently with reports that the ex-Juve tactician had even offered his resignation.

With highly rated Getafe stopper Alexis set to sign for Madrid, Cannavaro’s place in the side is looking less and less safe.

It is widely believed that if Capello were to return to Italy at the end of the season then he would bring his pupil back with him.

Cannavaro: 'Leave Real? I love it here in Spain'

Real Madrid defender Fabio Cannavaro today dismissed rumours linking him to his former club Juventus.

In a lengthy interview with Spanish newspaper ABC, Cannavaro was also very critical of his performances this year: “I have to admit I have never made as many mistakes as I have this season,” he told the paper, adding, “Why should I want to leave? I like it very much here in Spain.”

Real Madrid's Cannavaro: I've never made so many mistakes

Real Madrid defender Fabio Cannavaro is confident he can prove himself to the demanding Santiago Bernabeu support.

"I know I'm not on top form," said the Italian. "I've never made so many mistakes in my career, but I'm working to get back to being the player I was at Juventus and at the World Cup - I'm sure I'll succeed.

"I know it doesn't excuse my mistakes, but the whole team isn't playing well.

"Of our 30 matches we've only really performed well three or four times and badly five or six, for the rest we've been average."

Real Madrid happy to offload Cannavaro to AC Milan

Real Madrid are ready to sell defender Fabio Cannavaro to AC Milan in the summer.

Milan want to take the 33 year-old back to Italy and Real management won't stand in the defender's way after a disappointing season in Spain.

Real know the Rossoneri want to sign the World Cup winner after his name was raised during negotiations in January that took Ronaldo to Milan.

The agreement with Getafe defender Alexis this week has added fuel to speculation that Cannavaro will be on his way back to Serie A at the end of this campaign.

Milan close on Canna

Thursday 1 March, 2007

Milan have begun negotiations with Real Madrid to bring Fabio Cannavaro back to Serie A, according to reports in Spain.

Spanish newspaper AS claims that talks between Rossoneri Vice-President Adriano Galliani and Real chief Vicente Calderon have already started.

While negotiating Ronaldo’s transfer during the January window, Milan showed their interest for the Italy captain and have received a positive response from the Spanish giants.

However, Cannavaro has recently announced that he misses Juventus and that he would like to return to his former club at the end of the season.

Real Madrid are having a tough time in La Liga this term and the Golden Ball winner has been harshly criticised by both fans and the Press at the Bernabeu.

“I know I am not on top form, but I am happy here in Spain,” said the Neapolitan native, who had also been linked with a return to Napoli where he would team up with his younger brother Paolo.

“I’ve never made so many mistakes in my career, but I’m working hard on getting back to being the player I was at Juventus and the World Cup, I’m sure I’ll succeed,” he concluded.

According to AS, the Merengues have already lined up the world champions replacement in the form of Getafe youngster Alexis, who has also been targeted by Milan in the past.

Cannavaro Will Stay At Real 100% - Agent

"There hasn't been any contact with Italian clubs."

Real Madrid defender Fabio Cannavaro admitted in an interview that there is a chance he will return to Italy next season: "I want to stay here. But I think that when you are 33 and you play a less-than-great season the club will look around for other solutions. And I'm not ashamed to admit I was proud of the interest shown by the Italian clubs, particularly Juventus. Now let's wait until June, then we shall see", the Azzurri captain said, among other things.

His agent, Gaetano Fedele, does not quite agree. "Fabio will stay at Real Madrid 100% also next season - he said to Affaritaliani.it - He said that when he expires his current contract he would like to finish his career in Italy. At the moment there is no contact with any Italian club. Milan? If they were to make an offer they would have to make it to the club first, who will then decide what to do."

Cannavaro denies move talk

Fabio Cannavaro's agent has denied speculation stating that Milan had opened talks about bringing the Real Madrid man back to Italy.

The World Cup winning captain joined Real Madrid in the summer following Juventus' demotion to Serie B.

However, Cannavaro has failed to find his best form at the Santiago Bernabeu and that led to claims that he was being primed for a move back to Italy - with Milan and Napoli, where his brother Paolo plays, strongly linked.

"I deny everything. There is nothing true, there aren't contacts with other sides," his agent Gaetano Fedele told Affaritaliani

"The Italian captain is in fact bounded to a contract for another two seasons, and they want to respect it.

"The intention is to respect the deal with Real, then Fabio will evaluate things.

"He has already said in an interview that when his deal with the Spanish side expires, he would like to end his career in Italy."