Bellazon

Fabio Cannavaro
Thumbnail

Georgik

Real Sociedad vs. Real Madrid

• Keepers: Iker Casillas, Diego López, Adán.

• Defenders: Helguera, Sergio Ramos, Cannavaro, Miguel Torres, Salgado, Miñambres, Pavón.

• Midfielders: Beckham, Diarra, Gago, Reyes, Robinho, Guti, Emerson.

• Strikers: Raúl, Higuaín, Van Nistelrooy.

1 – REAL SOCIEDAD: Bravo; Garrido, Mikel González, Juanito, Gerardo; Aramburu (Herrera 58’), Elustondo (Estrada 85’), Xabi Prieto, Savio; Rivas and Kovacevic (Skoubo 58’).

2 – REAL MADRID: Casillas; Sergio Ramos, Helguera, Cannavaro, Torres; Beckham, Emerson (Diarra 65’), Gago, Raúl (Higuaín 72’); Guti (Reyes 79’) and Van Nistelrooy.

GOALS:

1-0, min. 7: Aranburu after a faulty deflection by Casillas.

1-1, min. 36:Beckham with a free kick.

1-2, min. 48: Van Nistelrooy heads a cross from Torres.

REFEREE: Rodríguez Santiago (Castille-Leon Refereeing Association). Booked Cannavaro (20`), Van Nistelrooy (58’), Rivas (63’), Gago (68’), Helguera (73’) and Beckham (75’).

HIGHLIGHTS: First fixture of the 22nd matchday of the Spanish Primera Liga played in Real Sociedad's Anoeta stadium.

Cannavaro Hopes Cassano Can Follow Becks

Fabio Cannavaro was pleased to see David Beckham return to the Real Madrid team at the weekend and now hopes Antonio Cassano can win a recall.

The Ballon D'Or winner believes that the England midfielder deserved another chance at the club because of his professional behaviour after being told he was not going to play again.

Beckham marked his comeback with a strong display in the victory over Real Sociedad, which included a goal from trademark free-kick.

"Sure, I was pleased for him," Cannavaro said. "We are always working together and I do not like it when any team-mate is left out of the squad. We are all here to play for Real Madrid.

"The club has looked to a player that has done everything well. Everyone makes mistakes, that is normal. There is no problem because I think it is only human to rectify."

Reflecting on the situation of his compatriot, Cassano, the former Parma and Juventus defender admits that it is upsetting to see him outcast at the Spanish giants.

"We would like to see Antonio back playing with us because he works all week and then spends the weekends at home," Cannavaro explained. "But these are decisions made by the club and they have to respected.

Despite the victory at the weekend, the pressure on coach Fabio Capello is still intense, but Cannavaro thinks that maybe his boss enjoys working with more at stake.

"I do not know because a normal person would not like this situation," he continued. "But Capello is different, he always likes things slightly different and maybe he likes it when the atmosphere is slightly hot.

"A man of his age knows how everything in football depends upon results and if the team wins then things will be fine."

After seeing Ronaldo make his debut for AC Milan on Sunday, Cannavaro wished his former team-mate luck and believes that he can succeed in his return to Serie A.

"I hope he can triumph there," he added. "He is a player that I like a lot and everyone here hopes that he can return to the way he was before."

Real Madrid vs. Betis

• Keepers: Casillas, Diego López.

• Defenders: Salgado, Sergio Ramos, Cannavaro, Pavón, Mejía, Roberto Carlos, Marcelo, Torres, Helguera.

• Midfielders: Emerson, Gago, Beckham, Guti, Reyes, Robinho.

• Strikers: Raúl, Van Nistelrooy, Higuaín.