Fabio Cannavaro
Thumbnail

Georgik

Racing vs. Real Madrid

• KEEPERS: Casillas, Diego López, Casilla

• DEFENDERS: Ramos, Cicinho, Helguera, Cannavaro, Mejía, Marcelo, Salgado

• MIDFIELDERS: Guti, Gago, Emerson, Diarra, Robinho, Raúl, Reyes

• STRIKERS: Higuaín, Cassano, Van Nistelrooy

Racing Santander 2: Toño; Pinillos, Garay, Rubén, Cristian Fernández; Vitolo, Colsa (Melo, min.68), Scaloni, Óscar Serrano; Munitis and Zigic.

Real Madrid 1: Casillas; Ramos, Cannavaro, Marcelo; Diarra, Emerson, Robinho (Mejía, min.88), Higuaín (Reyes, min.75); Raúl (Guti, min. 85) and Van Nistelrooy.

REFEREE: Turienzo Álvarez, from the Castille-Leon Refereeing Association. Booked Serrano, Garay, Munitis and Scaloni for the locals, and Sergio Ramos and Guti for the visitors. Sent off Helguera for two bookings and Mejía with a direct red card.

GOALS:

0-1: (min.33): Horrible defensive mistake by the locals. Higuaín grabs the ball and assists Raúl.

1-1: (min.71): Penalty taken by Garay.

2-1: (min. 89): Penalty transformed by Garay.

HIGHLIGHTS: Thirtieth matchday of the top Spanish flight played at the Campos de Sport de El Sardinero. Attendance: 22,000 spectators. Before the initial whistle, the local Club gave a shirt to Cantabrian athlete Ruth Beitia, the eight-time Spanish high jump champion.

MEDICAL REPORT

Beckham: Sprained internal lateral ligament of the right knee. Gym and field work.

Raúl Bravo: Strained quadriceps of the right leg. Medical treatment and physiotherapy. Gym and field work.

Roberto Carlos: Tendinosis on the Achilles tendon of the right leg. Medical treatment and physiotherapy. Gym and field work.

Miguel Torres: Edema on the internal calf muscle of the left leg. Medical treatment and physiotherapy. Rejoined squad.

Van Nistelrooy: Strained psoas muscle of the right leg. Medical treatment and physiotherapy. Gym and pool work.

Emerson: Sick with Flu. Gym work.

Higuaín: Sprained right ankle. Medical treatment and physiotherapy. Pool work.

Cannavaro: Sick with gastroenteritis. Special diet and rest.

Cannavaro press conference

"We have eight games left, and we have to play well and win. We can do it"

Fabio Cannavaro returned to training today after being sick for two days. The centre back put an end to the 'referee controversy' and talked about the important game on Saturday against Valencia, whose players he praised.

How do you feel?

Better. My stomach was bothering me but I trained well today.

David Villa comes to the Bernabéu on Saturday. Who are you more worried about, him or the referee?

Valencia, because they play good football and have strong players; not just Villa, but Morientes, Ayala, and many more who can cause problems.

And your thoughts on David Villa?

He's a fast forward, he never misses in front of goal, and he's a challenge to mark. We have to be cautious.

Will Saturday's game mark the future of the League?

We have to win, always. Saturday's match is against one of our greatest rivals who is just below us in the table. They are used to winning important matches. They already beat Sevilla and will be looking to play a great match against us too.

Who is more of a rival, Sevilla or Barcelona?

I would say Sevilla, but Barcelona are five points ahead of us. Barcelona won a difficult match on Sunday after not playing well, so they should be more enthused now.

I'm sure you teammates have told you that Real Madrid-Valencia clashes tend to be very competitive.

A footballer needs to be a good sport on the pitch because many kids are watching. We have to be well-behaved.

You can cut into Barcelona's lead if you defeat Valencia, but if you lose, Zaragoza will come close to catching up in the table. Is the team only talking about winning the League or securing a spot in next year's Champions League as well?

We can only think about Real Madrid, not other teams or numbers. We have eight games left, and we have to play well and win. We can do it.

The referee on Saturday is the same one who sent you off against Barcelona. Do you think that matters at all?

The referees are normal people and, of course, can make mistakes. I'm not thinking about the referee slipping up when I'm on the pitch. Everything is over when the final whistle is blown.

After the game in Santander you commented on the referee's performance.

I didn't say anything harsh. After a game, we must analyse everything that happened. We only have to think it was a difficult game. The referee may make a mistake, but we have to keep focused and not think that the referees are against us.

What do you think about the FA's decision to look into Mijatovic's comments?

I think it's normal for a person of standing within a Club to speak his mind after the game. I think everything he does is done for the Club's benefit. He is a very experienced man and he knows what he must do.

Realmadrid.com published an Official Announcement though which the Club stood by the referees' job. What did you think of that?

They must have had their reasons to do so. We only think about playing football. I don't think referees are against us or that they favour other teams. Referees must remain calm on the pitch.

Inter Milan could win the Italian League tonight. Would you be happy for them?

I would be happy because I have many friends at Inter.

Yesterday, the press in Italy published a piece of news in which Buffon criticised you and Emerson for leaving Juventus when they were going to be relegated to the Second Division...

I don't believe it. Buffon has my cell number and he would call me if he had something to say to me.

Berlusconi said he would pay 100 million euros for Ronaldinho. Do you think anyone should pay so much money for a football player?

I don't know. Berlusconi likes players with a drive to win. Ronaldinho is a No.1 player, the player with the greatest quality in the world, and I think he could do well in the Italian League.

What do you think of Ronaldo's performances?

I'm very happy for him because I like him very much as a player. I will congratulate him if he scores any goals.

FIFA have announced that the Euro 2012 will be held in Ukraine and Poland instead of Italy. What do you think about that?

It's a shame for Italy because it would have been nice to host the competition after winning the World Cup, but there was a lot of trouble last year.

Cannavaro Happy For "Friends" At Inter

Fabio Cannavaro insists he is happy for his "friends" at Inter Milan as the Nerazzurri prepare to win the Scudetto against Roma tonight.

Inter And Juventus

"I would be happy because I have many friends at Inter," he told the press this afternoon, when asked about the possibility of the Scudetto being decided today.

Asked about comments from Buffon published in the Italian press, accusing him and Emerson of abandoning ship, he said: "I don't believe it. Buffon has my cell number, and he would call me if he had something to say to me.

Ronaldo And Ronaldinho

The focus shifted to Milan, and Berlusconi's desire to sign Ronaldinho at any cost, and Ronaldo's performances in the red and black shirt.

"I don't know," he responded, when asked if he thought Ronaldinho was worth 100 million euros. "Berlusconi likes players with a drive to win.

"Ronaldinho is a No.1 player, the player with the greatest quality in the world, and I think he could do well in the Italian League."

As for Ronaldo, he said: "I'm very happy for him because I like him very much as a player. I will congratulate him if he scores any goals."

Failed Euro 2012 Bid

The Azzurri skipper also spoke of Italy failing to land the rights to host the 2012 European Championships: "It's a shame for Italy because it would have been nice to host the competition after winning the World Cup.

"But there was a lot of trouble last year."