Bellazon

Ronaldo Lima
Thumbnail

AC Milan 3:1 Cagliari - match report

Scorers: Ronaldo 14, 69 (M), Suazo pen 74 ©, Pirlo 80 (M)

Ronaldo bagged a brace as a second-string Milan side disposed of Cagliari 3-1.

Carlo Ancelotti rested almost all the players expected to start in the Champions League semi-final with Manchester United, having created a relatively comfortable four-point cushion in their push for fourth place. Nelson Dida was out injured, making way for Zeljko Kalac. Cagliari lost Leonardo Colucci, Alessandro Conticchio and the suspended Paolo Bianco.

The Sardinians had the first effort, as a free kick was touched on for Daniele Conti and Kalac comfortably smothered the low strike. There were also penalty appeals for a Marcos Cafu handling offence that was considered involuntary, as he had been nudged in the back.

Clarence Seedorf and Ricardo Oliveira failed to get the final touch to the ball from six yards.

Milan broke through in controversial circumstances. Marcos Cafu's sliding tackle on Cristiano Del Grosso angered Cagliari, but the referee waved play on and he rolled across for Ronaldo's simple tap-in.

Cafu's angled drive was flicked on by Ronaldo's heel, but Il Fenomeno was in an offside position.

Diego Lopez performed a desperate tackle to stop Ronaldo tapping in after he had quickly exchanged passes with Gennaro Gattuso.

Cagliari were almost handed an equaliser with a lucky ricochet, but Andrea Capone did not react quickly enough, so Kakhaber Kaladze was able to clear.

Lopez was booked for a cynical tackle to stop Ricardo Oliveira's counter-attack, then D'Agostino volleyed just past the near post in a debatable offside position.

Yoann Gourcuff's powerful free kick was off target and moments later Cagliari lost the ball in midfield for Oliveira to sting Antonio Chimenti's palms.

The visitors also threatened with a quick break, as David Suazo hesitated just long enough for Kalac to rush out and close him down. Oliveira again went close, as his volley from a Gourcuff cross took a deflection to rescue Chimenti.

After the restart Capone split the Milan defence, but fell too easily when going for the ball with Kaladze and was told to get back up by the unimpressed referee.

Chimenti caught a Cristian Brocchi piledriver, then there was a double chance. Giuseppe Favalli's cross found both Oliveira's header and a flick on from Clarence Seedorf, but neither got the ball on target.

Cagliari had an even better chance. Suazo nutmegged Dario Simic and cut back for Capone to balloon over from six yards.

Ronaldo and Seedorf exchanged several paces on the edge of the area for a left-foot shot deflected out for a corner.

Massimo Ambrosini and Andrea Pirlo replaced Gattuso and Seedorf, rested for the Old Trafford match. Within seconds Pirlo had sent Oliveira running with a long pass and the cross missed Ronaldo's foot by inches.

It was only postponed by 30 seconds, as Chimenti flapped at Cafu's cross, so Ronaldo redirected the ball in from six yards with his chest! It was his seventh goal in 12 games for Milan.

Substitute Antonio Langella was sent clear and Kalac sprinted out of his area to kick the ball away - Marchini saw the open goal and attempted an ambitious lob off target.

The Sardinians kept pushing and Kaladze clumsily clattered into Capone as he ran on to Suazo's through ball. The referee pointed to the spot and Suazo sent Kalac the wrong way to make it 2-1 with 16 minutes to go.

Oliveira almost restored the two-goal cushion moments later with his angled drive fingertipped round the far post by Chimenti.

But Cagliari's tails were up and a free kick was whipped in just past Canini's outstretched foot.

Their heads were forced to drop again, though, as Pirlo curled in a magnificent free kick from 25 metres. He swung the ball in to the very top corner at the near post despite Chimenti's attempts to block.

The Rossoneri had to end their game in 10 men, as Kaladze picked up a second yellow card for a shirt-tug on Capone. Nonetheless, Chimenti had to beat away an Oliveira effort in stoppages.

Milan: Kalac; Cafu, Simic, Kaladze, Favalli; Gattuso (Ambrosini 68), Brocchi, Gourcuff (Jankulovski 81); Seedorf (Pirlo 68); Oliveira, Ronaldo

Cagliari: Chimenti; Pisano (Semedo 88), Lopez, Canini, Del Grosso; Marchini (Pepe 77), Budel, Conti, D'Agostino (Langella 68); Capone, Suazo

Ronaldo: Let us entertain you

Ronaldo has scored seven goals in 12 games for Milan and reveals the secret of his newfound form. “We’re having fun!”

His brace last night sent the Rossoneri on their way to a 3-1 victory over Cagliari – their seventh in eight rounds.

“I have been in good physical shape for a month now and have always scored goals in my career,” explained the striker.

“I am very happy with how I’m doing here and how the whole squad is progressing. We are having fun.”

Many thought it was a gamble bringing him in from Real Madrid in January, but Il Fenomeno has proved his critics wrong.

“I wasn’t in the best form when I arrived, but I have improved a lot at this club. The summer training regime will be crucial, as it will set my legs up for the whole year.”

The only negative aspect of this move is the fact he is cup-tied, so Ronaldo cannot play in Tuesday’s Champions League semi-final against Manchester United.

“I will be cheering on my teammates and it’s a shame I can’t join them on the pitch. I am happy when I play, but I can’t do anything about this, so I have to sit back and bear it.”

Milan has changed Ronaldo in more ways than one, as he has shelved the trademark shaved head in favour of short dark hair.

“President Silvio Berlusconi asked me to let my hair grown and shave my beard instead. You know, if the President says something to you, then you have to listen,” he smiled.