Bellazon

Ronaldo Lima
Thumbnail

Ronaldo: I'll be number one again

Ronaldo pledges to end his career at Milan and become “Number One” again, bring Ronaldinho and break bread with Massimo Moratti.

“I’m not at the top of my form yet. I am training hard and every now and then I feel a few niggles that slow me down,” he told the ‘Gazzetta dello Sport’.

“These are normal, as I am finally getting to grips with some little aspects that are affecting my physique discovered by MilanLab, so I know at the end of this process I will be great again.

“At the start of next season, after the summer training camp, I will be at the top once more. I will be Number One.”

Many questioned Milan’s decision to sign Il Fenomeno from Real Madrid, but he has impressed in Serie A with four goals so far.

“I am sure I can do it and have so much more to give in this sport. I was born the same week as Francesco Totti and Andriy Shevchenko, yet nobody doubts or criticises their stamina. I am not old, nor finished – you will realise that.”

One of the reasons behind his improvement is leaving behind the dreadful rapport he had with Real boss Fabio Capello.

“I have a splendid relationship with Carlo Ancelotti. He is a friend, not a general. I get on well with Carlo as I did with Gigi Simoni and Vincente Del Bosque. It’s not because he is permissive. Ancelotti knows when to say no and deals with the locker room brilliantly.”

He had been a shadow of his former self in recent months in La Liga, but the San Siro air has revitalised Ronaldo.

“I will end my career here. I don’t know for how many years I will play, but I want to do so with this jersey.”

This comment will be a dagger in the heart of some Inter fans, in particular President Massimo Moratti, who did not hide his disappointment at the switch to their great rivals.

“I will invite Moratti to dinner, but not yet. First I want to wait for his bitterness to pass over my move to Milan. Inter are the past and the fact they are about to win the Scudetto leaves me totally indifferent.”

Ronaldo has swelled the group of Brazilians in the Rossoneri camp, but is eager to further increase their number.

“I can do something to help President Silvio Berlusconi get Ronaldinho. It’s pointless talking to him about how wonderful Milan are, though, as he already knows everything,” smiled the Selecao star.

He is cup-tied and cannot play at Old Trafford, but might be in the stands to cheer on his teammates in the semi-final with Manchester United.

“I would certainly like to make it, although it depends on my training schedule. I am awaiting a great gift from my colleagues. Milan have to win the Champions League this year, but also next season when I will be able to play!”

ASCOLI-MILAN

KEEPERS: Fiori, Kalac, Storari

DEFENDERS: Bonera, Favalli, Grimi, Jankulovski, Kaladze, Nesta, Oddo, Simic

MIDFIELDERS: Ambrosini, Gattuso, Gourcuff, Kakà, Pirlo, Seedorf

STRIKERS: Gilardino, Ricardo Oliveira, Ronaldo

Ancelotti has Ronaldo doubt

Carlo Ancelotti has warned that Ronaldo may not be fit to play against Ascoli tomorrow afternoon, but he will not be resting his stars.

“I will rotate the squad a little bit in defence, but Kaka will play from the start and stay on until I see signs of weakening,” noted the Milan tactician.

“Clarence Seedorf and Massimo Ambrosini rested at the weekend, so they can return to midfield, while Andrea Pirlo will also start. Ronaldo has to fully recover before he can play and until now that is not the case.

“We could see Ronaldo and Alberto Gilardino upfront or Ricardo Oliveira and Gilardino. In the current situation, I would not talk about Ronaldo in the initial line-up.”

A certain absence is Nelson Dida, as the goalkeeper has suffered a recurring shoulder injury and is now a major doubt for the Champions League semi-final with Manchester United.

“Unfortunately this shoulder problem is nothing new, but we will do everything we can to get him back for Manchester. In any case, Zeljko Kalac is in good shape.

“Paolo Maldini, Pippo Inzaghi and Cristian Brocchi aren’t fit yet, so we won’t take risks with them. Marcos Cafu and Serginho will stay behind to work on their best form.”

The Rossoneri travel to the Stadio Del Duca against an Ascoli side that is propping up the table and almost mathematically doomed to relegation.

“This team is alive and, just like Messina on Sunday, gambling with their last throw of the dice. This is a great opportunity for us to go four points clear of Palermo and that advantage in fourth place would give us a certain confidence. There is still a long road to go for that Champions League spot though.”

Milan still have a good chance of winning the European trophy this season, despite their difficult start in Serie A.

“That competition is a great satisfaction for anyone who wins it. When a big club starts the season they think of taking everything, not creating a list of preferences.”

Some say that the European result will decide whether Ancelotti remains on his bench next season.

“My contract expires at the end of next term. I hope to extend it, but I haven’t spoken to the club yet"

ASCOLI-MILAN: OFFICIAL LINE-UPS

ASCOLI: Eleftheropoulos; Melara, Corallo, Lombardi; Foglio, Guberti, Di Biagio, Boudianski, Pesce; Soncin, Paolucci

MILAN: Kalac; Oddo, Bonera, Nesta, Jankulovski; Ambrosini, Pirlo, Seedorf; Kakà; Ronaldo, Gilardino.

Ascoli 2:5 AC Milan - match report

Scorers: Gilardino 3, 27 (M), Kaka pen 25, 34 (M), Di Biagio pen 30 (A), Guberti 41 (A), Seedorf 75 (M)

Milan consolidated fourth place and closed in on Lazio with this five-star performance at the Del Duca.

The Rossoneri were hoping to continue their fine form that had taken them into fourth place, but were forced to reshuffle their squad due to injury worries for Nelson Dida, Marcos Cafu, Paolo Maldini and Cristian Brocchi. Ascoli are propping up the table, but gave Lazio horrible problems at the weekend with a 2-2 draw. Sasa Bjelanovic was suspended.

It took just two and a half minutes to open the scoring at the Stadio Del Duca. Lombardi kept everyone onside as Ronaldo flicked the ball over for Alberto Gilardino's cool finish from nine yards.

Kaka surged forward and smashed a right-foot effort towards the base of the near post, kept out by a one-handed Dimitrios Eleftheropoulos save.

Ronaldo hit the back of the net on 11 minutes, but it was disallowed for a very tight offside position.

Ascoli fought back, as Zeljko Kalac spilled a Lombardi free kick and the Milan defence was able to clear. But the Rossoneri had the better of the play with Eleftheropoulos flying to tip a Massimo Ambrosini header out from under the bar.

Ronaldo and Kaka exchanged quick passes for a blistering counter-attack and Eleftheropoulos brought down Il Fenomeno for a penalty. The younger Brazilian stepped up and rolled it past the goalkeeper to double Milan's lead.

Just 120 seconds it was 3-0. The Ascoli defence was static as Gilardino kneeled down to angle his header from a Marek Jankulovski cross.

Gilardino sprung the offside trap from Kaka's pass and opted to roll across for Ronaldo rather than go for glory himself.

The referee gave Ascoli a lifeline when Guberti ran between defenders and Kalac clumsily brought him down for a penalty. Luigi Di Biagio converted at the near post.

Ronaldo had another goal disallowed for offside, but it didn't matter as Kaka unleashed a rocket from the edge of the area that swung past Eleftheropoulos' outstretched hand at the near post.

Just before the break Ascoli closed the gap once more for 4-2. Guberti's angled drive rolled into the far corner, as Corallo's dummy proved crucial in confusing the Milan back line.

After the restart Paolucci had a goal disallowed for a push on Daniele Bonera as they both entered the box.

Clarence Seedorf's long-range drive stung Eleftheropoulos' palms and the Dutchman scored on 75 minutes. He chested down Andrea Pirlo's chipped pass over the defence and lobbed the goalkeeper.

Milan gave Grimi his official debut in the Rossoneri jersey.

Ascoli: Eleftheropoulos; Melara, Corallo, Lombardi; Foglio, Guberti, Di Biagio (Perrulli 46), Boudianski, Pesce; Soncin (Fini 46), Paolucci (Delvecchio 71)

Milan: Kalac; Oddo, Bonera, Nesta, Jankulovski; Ambrosini, Pirlo, Seedorf; Kakà (Gattuso 46); Ronaldo (Oliveira 67), Gilardino (Grimi 77)

A PHENOMENAL IMPACT

The Phenomenon has once again proven that his presence makes a difference, since his arrival at Milan the Rossoneri have gained 26 points and increased their point average by 0.70 percent

MILAN - Simple but efficient and spontaneous expressions from the field are Ronaldo's speciality. He is more often than not a decisive point on the end of something exciting happening near the goal. Milan's statistics are encouraging the arrival of The Phenomenon. Of course, the Rossoneri have also been doing great things in the Champions League as well thanks to the pure talent of the likes of Filippo Inzaghi and Alberto Gilardino. What Milan have racked up since Ronie’s arrival on February 11, 2007 has changed the scenery around here and it proves that his signing wasn't just a publicity move. The numbers from the field are a solid as stone and as beautiful as we could have hoped for.

Since Ronie's arrival in February arrival the Rossoneri have climbed up the table point after point. It's enough to just look at the table layout from February 11 when Ronie made his debut in a Milan 2-1 victory over Livorno: Lazio 27 points; MILAN 26; Inter 24; Roma 22; Fiorentina 21; Empoli 20; Sampdoria 15; Parma and Reggina 14; Livorno and Udinese 13; Cagliari 12; Chievo and Palermo 11; Atalanta, Siena and Torino 10; Ascoli and Messina 8; Catania 3.

The Rossoneri point average since that date in February has also seen a considerable increase from 1.66 per game (35 points from the first 21 games) to 2.36 (26 points in the 11 games since Ronaldo). Ronaldo has given a little something to the side in every game to confirm that there is a good reason to call him The Phenomenon. He is football royalty in motion, pure excellence for all fans to enjoy. Ronaldo has scored five goals and set-up three so far and of course there are his four disallowed goals as well (two of which were probably valid, against Chievo and Ascoli). He was also awarded a free-kick which Andrea Pirlo took and a penalty-kick which Alberto Gilardino took to draw Roma 1-1 on March 31 as well as winning a penalty at Ascoli for Kakà to convert.

RONIE CONTINUES TO AMAZE

All about Ronaldo...

MILAN - Milan have won almost each one of the eleven games played since Ronaldo signed up to join in on the Rossoneri adventure. Here is where he has been up until now and what Milan have done with him on their side:

MILAN-LIVORNO 2-1: Enters on 1-1 and is in the action leading up to Jankulovski's goal. He tries to score at least three times, including a long distance shot from the penalty zone that brushes the woodwork.

SIENA-MILAN 3-4: Two goals and an assist. Phenomenal!

MILAN-SAMPDORIA 1-0: Helps the side in difficult start and remains on the field with Milan down to ten-men after Oddo is thrown off and Ricardo Oliveira's substitution. Not an easy game and he takes a bad challenge at the end of the first half.

PALERMO-MILAN 0-0: No better for the wear after taking a hit to his knee just three days before and because of this he does not start. Ancelotti puts him on in the last 20 minutes and he brushes the woodwork trying to find the victory goal.

MILAN-CHIEVO 3-1: A useful resource for the Rossoneri with his energy and skill. Attempt on goal in the first half, assist on Massimo Oddo's goal and his own shot brushes the woodwork to a standing ovation from the fans.

INTER-MILAN 2-1: Third Rossoneri goal and an assist to Rino Gattuso for the 2-0. It is starting to look like a football fairytale.

MILAN-ATALANTA 1-0: Shot on goal is scooped up by Calderoni in the first half and a couple of important assists that create great opportunities.

ROMA-MILAN 1-1: Awarded a free-kick which Andrea Pirlo took and a penalty-kick which Alberto Gilardino took to draw.

MILAN-EMPOLI 3-1: An amazing goal and one disallowed, not to mention his assist on Gila's 2-1 goal.

MESSINA-MILAN 1-3: A great goal to seal the game, an assist to Gilardino and there for the build-up on Giuseppe Favalli's 2-0 goal.

ASCOLI-MILAN 2-5: An assist for Gilardino, won a penalty for Kakà to convert, his perfectly valid goal was disallowed by the same referee Stefano Ayroldi that caused the damage in Milan-Siena 0-0 when he cancelled Andrea Pirlo's equally valid goal.

Football stars Ronaldo and Zidane to star in UN anti-poverty video

GENEVA (AFP) - Brazil and Milan striker Ronaldo and retired French World Cup star Zinedine Zidane will star in an anti-poverty TV advert made by award winning filmmaker

Wim Wenders, a UN agency said Friday.

The video for theUnited Nations Development Programme will encourage poeple to join a global campaign to cut poverty by 2015.

"I've filmed gangsters, guardian angels, old Cuban musicians, children, the fifth Beatle, a filmmaker, a trapeze artist, a cowboy, an ex angel and a Vietnam veteran," Wenders said in a trailer.

"Basically I've filmed many people but for the first time I'm filming footballers," added the director of "Buena Vista Social club", "Wings of Desire" and "Paris, Texas."

One of Wenders's early German movies, "The Goalkeeper's Fear of the Penalty" (Die Angst des Tormanns beim Elfmeter) in 1971, portrayed a goalkeeper who strangles a cinema cashier after he was sent off in a match.

It will be the third time Ronaldo and Zidane have appeared side by side in a video since they became goodwill ambassadors for the UNDP, which is spearheading the drive for better lives in developing nations.

One person in six in the world lives under the poverty line. Some 50,000 people a day die as a result of poverty, according to the UN.

Filming is due to begin at the end of April in Paris.

MILAN - CAGLIARI

GOALKEEPERS: Fiori, Kalac, Storari;

DEFENDERS: Bonera, Cafu, Favalli, Grimi, Jankulovski, Kaladze, Oddo, Simic;

MIDFIELDERS: Ambrosini, Brocchi, Gattuso, Gourcuff, Pirlo, Seedorf;

STRIKERS: Borriello, Gilardino, Ricardo Oliveira, Ronaldo.