Bellazon

Ronaldo Lima
Thumbnail

Brazil coach Dunga rules Ronaldo out of Copa America

IO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - Brazil coach Dunga has ruled striker Ronaldo out of the Copa America in Venezuela, saying he wants to give a chance to other players.

Ronaldo has not played for his country since Dunga took over following the World Cup last year but has enjoyed a new lease of life with AC Milan following his move from Real Madrid.

"He didn't play at the last Copa Americas so there's nothing new in this," Dunga told Brazilian television.

"We know that we can count on him when we need him, so we want to give a chance to some other players."

The Copa America will take place from June 26 to July 15. Brazil, the defending champions, will face Mexico, Ecuador and Chile in their first round group.

Season over for Ronaldo? :cry:

Milan’s celebrations took a knock when Ronaldo pulled up with a muscular problem, as he could be out of action for up to a month.

The striker had not suffered any serious injuries since moving to the San Siro in January from Real Madrid.

In the final minutes of Friday’s training session, he pulled up with a thigh problem and the official club website confirms his presence against Fiorentina this Sunday is in real doubt.

However, reports circulating around Italy suggest the truth of the matter could be far more serious and Ronaldo may be sidelined for the rest of the season.

Further tests are needed over the next few days, but if it proves to be a thigh strain rather than a twinge, then Il Fenomeno will be out for several weeks.

It is a heavy blow for the Rossoneri, who reached the Champions League Final this week and are currently third in Serie A.

Ronaldo had scored seven Serie A goals this season and was ineligible for European competition having already appeared for Real Madrid.

This makes it more likely that Ricardo Oliveira will be given space in the League, allowing Alberto Gilardino and Pippo Inzaghi to rest.

Milan's Ronaldo suffers leg injury in training :cry2:

AC Milan striker Ronaldo suffered a thigh injury in training on Friday and is doubtful for Sunday's Serie A match with Fiorentina.

"His condition will be monitored in the next few hours. At this time his participation in Sunday's match between Milan and Fiorentina is in doubt," said a statement on the club's Web site (www.acmilan.com).

The game at the San Siro is important in the race for a Champions League qualifying spot. Milan are third and a victory would almost guarantee a top-four finish.

Sixth-placed Fiorentina also have an outside chance of making the Champions League places if they win.

Milan could also make next year's Champions League by winning this season's final against Liverpool in Athens on May 23.

Ronaldo missed Wednesday's semi-final second leg win over Manchester United because he was cup-tied.

Ancelotti feels Ronaldo loss

Carlo Ancelotti concedes he must shelve his squad rotation against Fiorentina with the news that Ronaldo will be out for at least a fortnight.

“This injury does irritate me a little,” confessed the Milan Coach. “It’s a shame as he was on good form, now he must sit out some crucial games. I hope he can play again this season, even if he will be out for at least 15 days, as a muscular problem needs time to heal.”

Il Fenomeno pulled up during training with a thigh strain and, although more tests are needed, he will be sidelined for between two and four weeks.

With Paolo Maldini injured and Alberto Gilardino suspended, this means Ancelotti cannot rotate the squad the way he wanted to against Fiorentina on Sunday.

“The tactical system we use without Ronaldo will depend on the individual games and how we want to play. I don’t think we will modify our approach, though.”

Pippo Inzaghi is expected to start, just as he did in the midweek 3-0 Champions League demolition of Manchester United.

“Gennaro Gattuso picked up a knock he has not yet fully recovered from. It’s difficult to get him fit for Sunday, but not impossible. It will be either Ricardo Oliveira or Inzaghi upfront, not both together.”

So Kaka is confirmed in his new position as a support striker with Clarence Seedorf as Trequartista in Serie A as well as Europe.

“Tomorrow’s match is decisive to secure fourth place and the sooner we do that, the better we can prepare for the Final in Athens,” said Ancelotti.

“Fiorentina have had a great season and without the Calciopoli penalty we have more or less the same number of points. They are to consider a remarkable squad with real potential upfront, but after Manchester I saw confidence in my players.”

The Viola are weakened by the absence of Luca Toni, who has not even made the trip to San Siro due to an ankle injury.

“Giampaolo Pazzini is one of the quality youngsters coming through and is proving his worth as a top striker.”

Inevitably, the Rossoneri’s attention is already creeping towards Athens, where they will face Liverpool in a repeat of the 2005 Champions League Final, lost on penalties after leading 3-0.

“In 2005 we arrived at the final stages of the season completely drained, but this year we have improved our fitness levels at the right time,” explained the boss.

“What happened in Istanbul was a unique event, it never happened before and never will again. I don’t just remember the 3-3 result, but also the performance in which Milan dominated for 114 of the 120 minutes.”

Milan have struggled in Serie A though and rivals Inter stoked the fire by pointing out they won both the derbies 4-3 and 2-1.

“So? I’d say it was about time, because if you look at the statistics then in the last few years we had always won. Inter had to get a look in eventually,” smiled Ancelotti.

The official club website joined in by listing the recent record, including three derbies won in 2004-05 between Serie A and the Champions League quarter-finals.

AC Milan striker Ronaldo out with hamstring injury

MILAN, Italy (AP) — AC Milan striker Ronaldo could be out the rest of the season after pulling his left hamstring in practice.

Ronaldo was examined Saturday and further tests were planned over the next few days, the club said in a statement on its website.

The Brazilian striker was not included in Milan's squad to play Fiorentina in the Serie A on Sunday.

"I'm sorry because he was going through a great period," Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti said. "Now there's a risk that he'll be out just as the season draws to a close."

The Rossoneri are third in Italy's top division with four rounds remaining. Inter Milan already has won the title.

Ronaldo is ineligible for the Champions League final against Liverpool on May 23 because he played for former club Real Madrid in the early stages of the competition. He transferred to Milan in January.

Ronaldo against AC Milan going for Ronaldinho

tribalfooball.com - May 07, 2007

Ronaldo is dead against AC Milan moving for Barcelona star Ronaldinho, it has been revealed.

DiarioSport says former Real Madrid and Barca striker Ronaldo doesn't see eye-to-eye with his fellow Brazilian, despite public declarations of a strong friendship.

The relationship turned sour during last year's World Cup and Ronaldo isn't enthusiastic about calling Ronaldinho a teammate next season.

Indeed, it's claimed Ronaldo has never spoken with Milan president Silvio Berlusconi about signing Ronaldinho.

RONALDO: ‘Exciting to have the Pope in Brazil’

Ronaldo expressed his joy about Pope Benedict XVI’s visit to Brazil: ‘I am really excited that the Pope is coming to my country. His visit fills me with pride. Brazil is a country with a thousand resources and unfortunately just as many problems. The Pope’s words will certainly be a great help and comfort to our people.’ (ANSA)

A RELAXED MAN

Ronie is refusing to make a drama out of his injury and is looking forward to getting back to training with the rest of the squad. He will go to Athens as a fan and wants to stay with this club for a long time to come

MILANELLO - The first and inevitable question for Ronaldo when he faced Milan Channel cameras after his afternoon work-out in the gym, concerned his fitness situation: 'I am improving, I didn't want this little pull right at the end of the season. However, now it's happened and I must recover well to get back as soon as possible.' A lot of fans had turned up for Milan-Fiorentina hoping to see Ronaldo in action: 'That's football, I also feel bad, but hopefully I will recover soon to get back playing.' Is there a chance of seeing Ronaldo back on the pitch before the end of the season? 'That all depends on the recovery, however, it's in a delicate area, I am an explosive player. I have to be careful and not aggravate it.'

Ronaldo has been in fine form since arriving at Milan: 'I am pleased to have done well, but I need to continue like this and improve even more.'

Turning to the Champions League, how did you feel your team-mates played in the game against Manchester United? 'Really well, it was entertaining from what I saw because they played an extraordinary game. I will be a great fan in Athens too. I always think about the Champions League and always want to do well in the great competitions.' As for staying at Milan, Ronaldo concluded: 'I think my rapport with the Rossoneri will carry on for a very long time. I was welcomed here in an incredible way.'

Strike-ace Ronaldo at AC Milan for long haul

Ronaldo is happy at AC Milan and looking forward to many years playing in the Rossoneri shirt.

"I think my rapport with the Rossoneri will carry on for a very long time," said the striker. "I was welcomed here in an incredible way.

"I am happy to have started well up until now, but one must continue and try to always improve. This little thigh strain was bad timing at this stage of the season, but it happened and we have to deal with it as soon as possible.

"We will see how the recovery process goes. It is a very delicate area of the muscle and I am an explosive player, so we need to be careful not to aggravate it with the sprint."