Bellazon

Ronaldo Lima
Thumbnail

Ronaldo Wants Eto'o, Not Ronaldinho, At Milan

Reports out of Italy are suggesting that Ronaldo is pushing AC Milan towards Eto'o, as opposed to compatriot Ronaldinho.

Milan's desire to land Ronaldinho has been well documented, with Galliani, Berlusconi and Kaka repeatedly taking the lead in inviting The Gaucho to the Rossoneri camp.

The idea of a Brazilian 'tridente' has been tingling the sensations of the Milan board, who know that they need another world class player to avoid having to play just Kaka and Ronaldo up front next season.

If the Gazzetta dello Sport are to be believed, Ronaldo's sensations are being tingled by a very different prospect.

Milan's interest in Samuel Eto'o has surfaced recently, particularly given their need for another finisher, and El Fenomeno is working hard to convince the Rossoneri board to go, not for his compatriot, but for the African, convinced that his partnership with the Cameroon international, with Kaka just behind, would work better for Milan.

However, the opinion remains devided within the board at the moment, particularly with Andriy Shevchenko's future still in the air. Should Milan be able to land the Ukrainian again, it will make more sense to go for Ronaldinho.

The second factor, of course, is that unlike in the case of the Brazilian, who is almost certain to move to Milan if he leaves Barcelona, the Rossoneri will face very stiff resistance from the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea before they can sign the Cameroonian.

Real coach questions wisdom of letting Ronaldo go

MADRID (AFP) - Real Madrid coach Fabio Capello said Friday he is not sure the Spanish giants did the right thing when they allowed Brazilian international striker Ronaldo leave the club to sign with AC Milan in January.

"It may have been a good or a bad decision, I don't know. I'll let you know at the end of the season," the Italian manager told a news conference.

Ronaldo, 30, signed with the Italian side at the end of January in a deal worth 7.5 million euros. The player said at the time that his difficulties with Capello had forced him to look elsewhere.

"My heart's breaking but life goes on. I'm a great Real Madrid fan. I'm not so sure about the coach. I wasn't wanted and as I'm a professional and I love football I had to find another solution," he said when he left Madrid.

Real Madrid trail defending Spanish champions and league leaders FC Barcelona by two points with five matches left.

Asked if he believed Real could win its next five matches and take the leadership, Capello said: "Let's hope so. We will try, but we depend on what they do. We must do our best, and so will they."