Bellazon

Led Zeppelin
Thumbnail

Neo52285

no way he uses 9 -42...i use 9-42 and its a complete different sound on my les....i want to change back to a thicker gauge.

What kind of amp and stuff do you have though? I'm really up on what amps do what, but I do know that the string guages are pretty minor as far as my sound goes at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Led Zeppelin, Jerry Lee Lewis and the late Janis Joplin are among those slated to be honored with the Recording Academy Lifetime Achievement Award at the Grammys on February 13th at Los Angeles' Staples Center, reports RollingStone.

The other recipients are jazz pianist Jelly Roll Morton, country pioneers the Carter Family, soul hitmakers the Staples Singers, country star Eddy Arnold, jazz drummer Art Blakey, composer Morton Gould and blues pianist Joe Willie "Pinetop" Perkins.

Songwriter extraordinaire Hoagy Carmichael, Soul Train creator Don Cornelius, Blue Note Records founder Alfred Lion and recording artist and radio personality Dr. Billy Taylor will receive the Trustees Award, presented to important figures in music who contribute in a non-performing capacity. Producer Phil Ramone (Frank Sinatra, Billy Joel) will be honored with a technical Grammy.

"The Lifetime Achievement, Trustees and Technical Grammy Awards recognize music people who have made a lasting contribution to culture around the world," Recording Academy president Neil Portnow said in a statement. "These profoundly inspiring figures are being honored as legendary performers and archetypal musicians, cultural ambassadors and technical visionaries. Their outstanding accomplishments and passion for their craft have created a timeless legacy that has positively affected multiple generations, and will continue to influence generations to come."

their drummer is quite amazing, on the dvd, his 8 minute moby dick solo is probably one of the greatest moments in rock history. I question placing them in the heavy metal genre though. I only really ever liked kashmir, cause i dont like the dudes voice  :/

Jimmy Page used Ernie Ball Super Slinkys, which are 9-42's.

I'd have to disagree with him being the greatest drummer though, I'm kind of biased towards Mike Portnoy and Dream Theater. ;)

Was almost tempted to get a Les Paul like his but then I found DT and ordered an Ernie Ball Music Man John Petrucci 7 string about a month ago (still waiting) haha.

Loved the DvD they put out though, Page has an awesome feeling to his solo's even though technically he's not the best. :laugh:

I hope you are not implying that shredders are techincally the best. Ha metal shredder guitarists are so bad. They are so unconfident about playing good sounding notes that they just play anything as fast as they can. Ernest Hemingway said say what you will with the least words as possible. It will be the most powerful. The solos of Duane Allman and Page for instance are superior in that sense. Shredders play with no feeling. If you anyone want to hear a real guitarist, listen to folk guitarist leo kottke. He blows all metal shredders, and keller williams for that matter, out of the water. Listen to Jack Fig by Leo Kottke and you won't listen to metal again. All one guitar - no looper, I've seen him play it live, and he burns calories. And as for technically the best, after Kottke comes all the jazz improvasational guitairsts, as I'm sure you know that is the most difficult guitar in the world. Then we have virtuoso classical guitarists that play nylon strings. So really, shredders suck. :)

their drummer is quite amazing, on the dvd, his 8 minute moby dick solo is probably one of the greatest moments in rock history. I question placing them in the heavy metal genre though. I only really ever liked kashmir, cause i dont like the dudes voice  :/

Jimmy Page used Ernie Ball Super Slinkys, which are 9-42's.

I'd have to disagree with him being the greatest drummer though, I'm kind of biased towards Mike Portnoy and Dream Theater. ;)

Was almost tempted to get a Les Paul like his but then I found DT and ordered an Ernie Ball Music Man John Petrucci 7 string about a month ago (still waiting) haha.

Loved the DvD they put out though, Page has an awesome feeling to his solo's even though technically he's not the best. :laugh:

I hope you are not implying that shredders are techincally the best. Ha metal shredder guitarists are so bad. They are so unconfident about playing good sounding notes that they just play anything as fast as they can. Ernest Hemingway said say what you will with the least words as possible. It will be the most powerful. The solos of Duane Allman and Page for instance are superior in that sense. Shredders play with no feeling. If you anyone want to hear a real guitarist, listen to folk guitarist leo kottke. He blows all metal shredders, and keller williams for that matter, out of the water. Listen to Jack Fig by Leo Kottke and you won't listen to metal again. All one guitar - no looper, I've seen him play it live, and he burns calories. And as for technically the best, after Kottke comes all the jazz improvasational guitairsts, as I'm sure you know that is the most difficult guitar in the world. Then we have virtuoso classical guitarists that play nylon strings. So really, shredders suck. :)

Whats wrong with being skilled at an instrument? All of the sudden theres no feel? Huh? Theres a difference between death metal "shredders" that play fast just to play vast (Alexi Laiho is that one exception though), and true virtuoso's like Vai, Petrucci, Malmsteen, Gilbert, Becker etc.

Jason Becker's work is some of the best guitar out there in my opinion, theres alot of fast sweep picking type stuff, but theres tons of feeling.

And if you want to talk technical ability, yes I do think "shredders" are the best. Because I'll put it this way, Petrucci can play what Page does, but I honestly think Page couldn't do what Petrucci does. (and I'm Zeppelin fan btw) But I will check out these Jazz guys, sounds cool. But I can say I will never stop listening to metal, because it kicks a$$. :) Though, really, its pointless argueing whose favorite guitarist is better, because its the internet, and it doesn't matter, because no matter what you say, it isn't going to change how good a guitarist is.

nah thats chicago....i hear that guitar sounds bitchin if  you play stairway to heaven backwards...i was on a guitar forum and they said it sounds cool

No, he's right. They have it on this site.. (Its legitimate to because I've tried it myself)

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/stairway.php

The whole backmask deal is questionable though because, more then often you can't tell what he's saying, until you've been told...

• 3 weeks later...

Former Led Zeppelin members Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones will be on hand at a ceremony Saturday night in Los Angeles to accept the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Recording Academy, reports Blabbermouth.net.

"The Lifetime Achievement, Trustees and Technical Grammy Awards recognize music people who have made a lasting contribution to culture around the world," said Neil Portnow, President of The Recording Academy in a statement last month (read story on UG).

"These profoundly inspiring figures are being honored as legendary performers and archetypal musicians, cultural ambassadors, and technical visionaries," Portnow added. "Their outstanding accomplishments and passion for their craft have created a timeless legacy that has positively affected multiple generations, and will continue to influence generations to come."

The Recording Academy's Lifetime Achievement awards will be handed out Feb. 12, one day before the 47th annual Grammy Awards are presented in Los Angeles.