Bellazon

Animals and General Wildlife

Joe > Average

• 2 weeks later...

Oops, sorry I missed your posts :ninja: .

Better late than never :yes: and great lion post :thumbsup: . Great points about their eating (I love how you phrased it 'the meat eating may not be beautiful' :laugh: ), the lionesses doing

the hunting and the males representing power. Of course, even though the females do the majority of the hunting for prides, there are a lot of single male lions that of course are forced to

do all of their own.

They definitely have a dog lineage because there were more dog like hyenas many years ago that became extinct. These were much more limber and faster like wolves. The current hyena isn't as fast, but has more powerful jaws and is more suited for running long distances than sprinting seeing as how a lot of their prey is migratory herds in such a harsh area. They also have more powerful jaws too if I'm remembering correctly. Obviously their teeth are stronger than anyone in dog, cat or even bear families. The current ones really doesn't truly belong to either dog or cat family but its own family (the hyaenidae). Some say they are closer to cats biologically while they obviously have a more dog like appearance. That's probably why some refer to them as the 'tiger wolf'. All in all, they seem to basically be their own group. Some also say the mountain lion is actually more closely related to the domestic cat than an African lion despite the fact that they are closer in both appearance and size than the mountain lion and domestic cat are. Either way, that is true that they are definitely interesting animals and great site as well :yes: .

Great lion brothers pic :rofl: .

Better late than never :yes: and great lion post :thumbsup: . Great points about their eating (I love how you phrased it 'the meat eating may not be beautiful' :laugh: ), the lionesses doing

the hunting and the males representing power. Of course, even though the females do the majority of the hunting for prides, there are a lot of single male lions that of course are forced to

do all of their own.

They definitely have a dog lineage because there were more dog like hyenas many years ago that became extinct. These were much more limber and faster like wolves. The current hyena isn't as fast, but has more powerful jaws and is more suited for running long distances than sprinting seeing as how a lot of their prey is migratory herds in such a harsh area. They also have more powerful jaws too if I'm remembering correctly. Obviously their teeth are stronger than anyone in dog, cat or even bear families. The current ones really doesn't truly belong to either dog or cat family but its own family (the hyaenidae). Some say they are closer to cats biologically while they obviously have a more dog like appearance. That's probably why some refer to them as the 'tiger wolf'. All in all, they seem to basically be their own group. Some also say the mountain lion is actually more closely related to the domestic cat than an African lion despite the fact that they are closer in both appearance and size than the mountain lion and domestic cat are. Either way, that is true that they are definitely interesting animals and great site as well :yes: .

Great lion brothers pic :rofl: .

Don't forget their great laughter :whistle::laugh: . At least what sounds like laughter anyway. They definitely have some speed, I was just comparing them to the extinct versions. They're also very underrated in the aspects that you mentioned. I can't say I'm an expert on the condition or even particularly knowledgeable, so it will be interesting to do some reading on that.

Thanks for the link. That's definitely one of my favorites. I find Zoobooks to be good reading as well :ninja: .

Random Fact: Some reptilian dinosaurs had hair and feathers :p :ninja: .

Don't forget their great laughter :whistle::laugh: . At least what sounds like laughter anyway. They definitely have some speed, I was just comparing them to the extinct versions. They're also very underrated in the aspects that you mentioned. I can't say I'm an expert on the condition or even particularly knowledgeable, so it will be interesting to do some reading on that.

Thanks for the link. That's definitely one of my favorites. I find Zoobooks to be good reading as well :ninja: .

Random Fact: Some reptilian dinosaurs had hair and feathers :p :ninja: .

That's true about the laughter :laugh: and I'm sure lions particularly agree with the second part :p .

Not that it should be a surprise, but the that was one of my avatars :laugh::ninja: and is one of my favorite species ever. They also had an article about the Axolotl in the last Nat Geo magazine.

Axolotl, I choose you :blush: ! :ninja:

do all of their own.

Sure thing and thank you for sharing your passion :yes: . I didn't know #4 I don't think, thanks :D . Of course, thanks for all of them anyway of course as they were still fun to read and have together in such a concise manner. As to #13, its also interesting that the mix of a male lion and female tiger produces a liger whereas the male tiger and female lion produce a tiglon who's said to not only be a different species but is sterile on top of that. Of course, not being raised by either, they still can't hunt despite being larger than both parents. They can still eat though :ninja: .

do all of their own.

Same here,better be late than never.

Thanx for reading the post and expressing likeness of a phrase I wrote from inside me.

I promised in my lion post to bring some facts about lions,

Here are some

1- When males join a pride, they usually kill other cubs.

2-Lions can go four days without drinking.

3-There is less than 50, 000 lions in the world today

4-The gestation period is about 110 days.

5-A lion can drink for as long as 20 mins after eating

6-A male eats first, even if the female catches the prey------------A male is a male even among animals. :laugh:

7-Lions rarely eat an entire prey, leaving the rest for other animals such as vultures

8-The average lifespan is 13 years

9-A lion's eyesight is five times better than a human being.

10-A lion can hear prey from a mile away.

11-Lions can smell nearby prey and estimate how long it was in the area.

12-A lion's roar can be heard from five miles away.

13-Tigers are so similar to lions that without their coats, their bodies look so similar only experts can tell them apart--------------interesting for me.

^Speaking of that.. :blink:

'Robosparrow' created from dead bird

A dead bird animated by off-the-shelf robotics helped US biologists study behaviour in the swamp sparrow species.

post-19363-0-1446129913-59145_thumb.jpg

Scientists at Duke University in North Carolina worked with engineering students and a taxidermist to operate the wings of a deceased swamp sparrow.

They programmed simple Picaxe computer chips, and built a tiny linear motor to fit inside the cavity of the bird they named Robosparrow.

They were studying male aggressive behaviour among the species.

The experiment, carried out over a period of two months, confirmed to the researchers that wing-flapping is a sign of male aggression, said Dr Rindy Anderson who led the study.

Getting the robotics right took around nine months, she told the BBC.

"We had to be able to use computer software to control the motor, to programme it to move the wings at particular intervals," she said.

"It's not a random movement. Ultimately what was really difficult was getting everything so small."

Wing-waving

With a budget of just $1500 (£990), Dr Anderson said the initial plan was to modify an existing motor from a remote-controlled aeroplane or car but they were all too large to fit inside the 18 gram bird, the size of an average house sparrow.

"Our engineer built a linear motor from first principles, and then re-miniaturised it until we got something to fit."

Once the motor was in place and the robot chip was programmed, the mounted bird was put in the wild along with a discreet sound system playing swamp sparrow calls to attract others.

The wing-waving robot lasted for two months but was regularly attacked, said Dr Anderson.

"We had no back up - every day was a wish and a prayer that he survived the sixty trials," she added.

"Eventually the head fell off and the wing stopped moving."

Male aggression

The living male birds were equally aggressive to Robosparrow whether its wing movements were activated or not, the researchers found.

"It confirmed our hypothesis that the wing-waving behaviour is functioning male aggressive communication," said Dr Anderson.

"It was a lot of work - the engineering students had never done it before, the taxidermist we used had never done it before.

"We really just scratched the surface of what this behaviour is."

Dr Anderson's research has been published in the journal Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology.

Source