Bellazon

The Borgias (2011 TV series)

The Borgias (2011 TV series)From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search For the French/German television series created by Tom Fontana, see Borgia (TV series).The BorgiasGenreHistorical fictionCreated byNeil JordanStarring

Theme music composerTrevor MorrisCountry of origin

Language(s)EnglishNo. of seasons1No. of episodes6 (List of episodes)ProductionExecutive producer(s)

• Neil Jordan
  • Jack Rapke
  • Darryl Frank
  • John Weber
  • Sheila Hockin
  • James Flynn

Producer(s)

Location(s)Hungary[1]Running time55 minutesProduction company(s)

BroadcastOriginal channel

Picture format16:9Original runApril 3, 2011 (2011-04-03) ��" presentStatusAiringExternal linksWebsiteProduction websiteThe Borgias is a 2011 Canadian-Hungarian-Irish historical-fiction television series created by Neil Jordan.

The series is based on the Borgia family (Borja in Valencian), an Italian dynasty of Spanish origin, and stars Jeremy Irons as Pope Alexander VI and David Oakes, François Arnaud, Holliday Grainger and Aidan Alexander as Juan, Cesare, Lucrezia and Gioffre Borgia, respectively. Derek Jacobi also stars as Cardinal Orsini.[2]

It premiered on April 3, 2011, at 9 p.m. Eastern (UTC��'04:00) on Showtime in the United States and at 10 p.m. on Bravo!! in Canada.[1][3]

On April 25, 2011, Showtime ordered a second season of The Borgias.[4]

Contents

[hide]

Cast

Supporting cast

Ruta Gedmintas and Bosco Hogan both appeared in Showtimes previous historical series The Tudors, as Elizabeth Blount and Bishop Fisher respectively.

Productions notes

The series was shot in Hungary.[3]

Episodes

Main article: List of The Borgias episodesThe series has nine episodes; the premiere encompassed two episodes, with the remaining seven episodes being first-aired each week following.

Historical notes

• Historically, Orsino Orsini was not a cardinal but Giulia Farnese's husband. The Borgias, although, did murder a cardinal Orsini: it was Giovanni Battista Orsini, killed in 1503 and not in 1492.
  • When her father became Pope, Lucrezia Borgia was 12 and not 14 years old.
  • Although in the show Rodrigo tells Cesare he was his age when he was ordered cardinal, it is not true: he was 25 while Cesare, in 1492, was only 16.
  • Giulia Farnese already was Alexander's mistress when he became Pope. They were introduced to each other by his cousin.
  • The picture Lady with a unicorn, which is thought to portray Giulia Farnese, was made by Raphael (Raffaello Sanzio).
  • Prince Djem mysteriously died in 1495, but he probably wasn't murdered. It's also difficult to think that Juan was the murderer, since he was the closest to him between the Borgias. Lucrezia's dowery, anyway, had nothing to do with Djem's death.
  • Lucrezia's wedding with Giovanni Sforza, who was 26, was officiated by notary Beneimbene in the Borgia Apartament. Celebrated in June, the marriage was consummated in September. As far as we know, Sforza wasn't violent nor ungallant; anyway he and Lucrezia lived apart during most of their marriage.
  • Baroness Ursula Bonadeo and the stable boy Paolo are fictional characters. Paolo may be a relaboration of Perotto, a servant of Pope Alexander who probably had an affair with Lucrezia after her divorce.

Q13043848902445355_1.jpg

yessssss! dude i like it too!

the tudors was better tho,the artists were waaay hotter :brows:

the thing that made an impression in that movie was the relationship between Lucrezia and her bro,so i googled it,and found some arcticles about the Borgias history,that said about incest between Lucrezia and Cesare,and even between her and the pope (lol!)wonder if its true :shock:

every time theres a documentary bout the borgias on the history channel, i always watch. such a fascinating clan!

i cant seem to get into the show though... no matter now much i love jeremy irons

im going to try to get into it again through on-demand, see if it doesnt stick this time!

yessssss! dude i like it too!

the tudors was better tho,the artists were waaay hotter :brows:

the thing that made an impression in that movie was the relationship between Lucrezia and her bro,so i googled it,and found some arcticles about the Borgias history,that said about incest between Lucrezia and Cesare,and even between her and the pope (lol!)wonder if its true :shock:

My absolute favorite chars are:

Prince Alfonso of Naples I just crack up every time he speaks

Giulia Farnese! I just love everything about the woman.

Giuliano Della Rovere even though he's a total tool bag

Lucrezia and her crazy ass! lol

I was shocked to see Emmanuelle Chriqui on the show. I hope they keep her around for awhile :)

DUDE I know when he'd laugh, then take them to the "trophy" room lolllllllllllll, it was like he was sane yet nuts at the same time, as for giulia, she is just smooth, never upset ever helpful, totally a wild card, im just "waiting" for her to like go BOOO, and Luc, i just want her to go ahead and kill off the hubby already lolllllllllllllllll.

• 3 months later...

Showtime Renews 'The Borgias' for Season 2

Ready for more steamy, illicit romantic encounters from the men of the cloth on 'The Borgias'?

Showtime has renewed the series, about the scandal-ridden reign of Pope Alexander VI, for a second season.

The series, set in 1492 Italy, stars a charismatic Jeremy Irons as the Spanish patriarch Rodrigo Borgia, who eventually becomes the head of the Catholic Church. David Oakes, François Arnaud, Holliday Grainger, Lotte Verbeek and Aidan Alexander also star.

'The Borgias' drew an audience of more than 1 million to its April 3 premiere, Showtime's best ratings for a drama series premiere in seven years.

AOL TV critic Maureen Ryan broke down the show simply in her review, saying "Bodices are ripped, blasphemies are prosecuted, and the rich get richer -- when they're not killing each other, that is." But Ryan noted that it's Irons' magnetism that makes the show.

"Without being showy about it, he dives headlong into this role," she wrote, "and he somehow even allows the viewer to believe that his grasping character, Rodrigo Borgia, actually feels touched by God. Given how much murder and skullduggery the Borgias engage in during Rodrigo's quest to obtain and keep the papacy, the character's faith could seem well come off as a joke, but Irons grounds Rodrigo not just in ambition but in a twisted sort of faith (which might just be faith in the strength of his will)."