Bellazon

Michael Jackson
Thumbnail

Allie

Conrad Murray Due in Court As Michael Jackson's Family Fights

Almost a Year After Michael Jackson's Death, Katherine Jackson, Joe Jackson Still Play Blame Game

By SHEILA MARIKAR

June 14, 2010 —

Almost a year after the death of his pop icon patient, Dr. Conrad Murray remains mired in a legal mess.

Michael Jackson's doctor is due in a Los Angeles court today for a pretrial hearing to determine when he goes to trial for involuntary manslaughter and whether or not he can retain his California medical license. More than two hours before his hearing, dozens of Jackson supporters protested outside the courthouse, holding signs and demanding justice for the late king of pop.

Murray stands accused of administering the lethal dose of the powerful sedative Propofol that killed Jackson, who died on June 25, 2009. Murray pleaded not guilty to manslaughter in February and remains free on $75,000 bail.

The cardiologist has continued to work in Houston and Las Vegas, where he maintains practices. His attorney, Ed Chernoff, has argued that the loss of Murray's California medical license will negatively affect his Texas and Nevada operations, and filed court papers Friday revealing that those states have allowed Murray to practice provided he doesn't administer sedatives like Propofol.

Murray gained a much-needed dose of good press last month when helped revive a woman who became unconscious on a US Airways flight from Houston to Phoenix.

Meanwhile, the Jackson family is griping about who is to blame for the singer's untimely death. In an interview with the British newspaper News of the World, Joe Jackson, Michael's father, blamed his wife and Michael's mother, Katherine Jackson, for the pop star's demise.

"In Michael's final months alive I said to her many times that I couldn't get through to him -- and that she needed to help her son," Joe Jackson told the paper, adding that he urged his wife to make Michael get help for his prescription drug addiction. "I had begged her to go over and stay with him, but she insisted he needed his privacy and gave him the slack she thought he needed."

Katherine Jackson shot back via a statement from her attorney, Adam Streisand.

"Joe Jackson's statements and conduct toward Mrs. Jackson are outrageous," Streisand said in a statement to ABC News today. "The world knows Mrs. Jackson has always been a loving and caring mother and grandmother, and she had a very special relationship with Michael. The world also knows who Joe Jackson is and he seems bent on never letting us forget."

Dr. Arnie Klein, Michael Jackson's dermatologist and close friend, also jumped into the fray today and lashed out at Joe Jackson. But he added that his main concern is Michael's children -- Paris, Prince and Blanket.

"Michael was very close to Katherine, but Joe talked to him too, but all Joe ever wanted to talk about was business. Everything Joe utters is nonsensical," Klein told TMZ.com. "I'm no longer interested in the Sodom and Gomorrah show on Havenhurst [the Jackson family home]. My main concern is the welfare of the children, especially Michael's, and the preservation of Michael's memory."

Michael Jackson's Mother Could Attend His Doctor's Court Hearing

It's likely that Katherine Jackson and Michael's siblings will show up for Murray's court date today, as they have for all of his hearings. Katherine contends that Murray is to blame for Michael's death.

"He's just trying to save his own behind," she told reporters following Murray's not-guilty plea in February. "He killed him. He's lying. He's guilty. Nobody was there but him."

Attorney Chernoff maintains Murray did nothing to cause Jackson's death. In April, he contested media reports -- based on a leaked witness report -- that Murray attempted to hide evidence and delayed calling 911 as Jackson lay dying and said investigators rushed to implicate Murray in the star's death.

"It's just a bald-faced lie," Ed Chernoff said in an interview with ABC's "Good Morning America." "[The] doctor called 911 as soon as he could& Let me just say, unequivocally, he did not he was not cleaning up any bottles& The scene was not consistent with anyone trying to clean something up."

Chernoff said Murray did not immediately call 911 because there was no house phone in the room where Jackson was and he could not leave his patient to make the call. He added that Murray isn't responsible for the star's death and argued that police rushed to blame someone.

"Let's say that this extremely famous, worldwide personality like Michael Jackson was found dead under unusual circumstances such as this," Chernoff said. "And the police came out and said, 'We've investigated and we just, we can't really put the blame on anybody at this point.' What do you think would happen then? I think there was a tremendous amount of pressure to find somebody to blame. I think that was Dr. Murray& I think, my personal opinion, a conclusion was made and the investigation was conducted in order to back it up."

Conrad Murray Due in Court As Katherine, Joe Jackson Fight - ABC News

Doc charged in Jackson death to keep Calif license

By LINDA DEUTSCH, AP Special Correspondent Linda Deutsch, Ap Special Correspondent – 14 mins ago

LOS ANGELES – A doctor charged in Michael Jackson's death will keep his California medical license after a judge ruled Monday he didn't have the authority to revoke it.

Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor declined a request by California authorities to suspend the ability of Dr. Conrad Murray to practice medicine in the state.

Pastor said there were no circumstances that warranted revisiting the conditions of Murray's bail.

California authorities have sought the suspension since Murray was charged with involuntary manslaughter in February.

Murray is accused of giving the pop star a lethal dose of the anesthetic propofol last June. He has pleaded not guilty.

He showed no reaction to Pastor's ruling`.

Pastor said he may revisit the issue of Murray's medical license, but only if there was new information or possibly after a preliminary hearing.

Several members of Jackson's family, including his father Joe, mother Katherine, sister LaToya and brother Jermaine, attended the hearing.

Murray's attorneys fought the restriction, arguing that it would prompt authorities in Texas and Nevada to take similar action.

Murray operates clinics in both states, which have ordered him not to use anesthetics on his patients.

Murray's attorney Ed Chernoff said in documents filed Friday that Nevada and Texas have reached agreements to allow Murray to practice as long as he abides by a judge's order not to administer anesthetics such as propofol.

The pop music legend died June 25 after Murray, his personal physician, administered propofol and other drugs to help him sleep.

Murray maintains nothing he did should have killed Jackson.

Pastor was asked by the state attorney general to overrule another judge's decision that allowed Murray to keep practicing.

Murray remains free on $75,000 bail.

Last month, the cardiologist made news when he stabilized a woman who fell unconscious and had a weak pulse on a flight from Houston.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100614/ap_en_..._jackson_doctor

Michael Jackson & Aretha Franklin Honored at the Apollo Theater

By PEI-SZE CHENG

Updated 11:32 PM EDT, Mon, Jun 14, 2010

These celebrities were attending the Apollo Theater's 2010 Spring Benefit. It certainly turned out to be an "Evening of Legends" as the Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin and the King of Pop, Michael Jackson, were inducted into the Apollo Legends Hall of Fame.

"Michael was the King, the true King of Pop," said actor-comedian Chris Tucker who accepted the award on behalf of the Jackson family, just shy of the one year anniversary of his death.

Tucker also reminisced about their trips to the mall, "We would be walking and people started to notice that he was Michael Jackson and all of a sudden I turned into his bodyguard."

Artists Sharon Jones and Estelle performed tribute songs for Aretha Franklin. Upon receiving her award, Jamie Foxx convinced her to sing a few bars. It didn't take Franklin long to grab the microphone from him and entertain the roaring crowd.

The night was full of humor but also had a serious tone when honoring those who have passed like Jackson.

Leslie Uggams performed a song in tribute to Lena Horne and several artists noted the benefit was dedicated to the memory of Percy Ellis Sutton.

Power couple Marc Anthony and Jennifer Lopez were honored with the Ruby Dee and Ossie Davis Arts and Humanitarian Award. The couple was recognized for their commitment to children's health issues. Lopez talked about Jackson's legacy.

"Everybody in our industry looked up to Michael," said Lopez. "And he did everything according to such a high standard. Everyone wanted to be like Mike."

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/...r-96348269.html

ALOT of michael special will be on this coming week, here's a list

ABC

20/20: Michael Jackson (Friday, June 25 9 p.m.)

ANIMAL PLANET

Michael Jackson & Bubbles: The Untold Story (Tuesday, June 22-- 7 p.m., 10 p.m; Wednesday, June 23 -- 6 p.m., 8 p.m.; Thursday, June 24 5 p.m., 8 p.m.; Friday, June 25 -- Midnight)

BET

Michael Jackson: Our Icon (Monday, June 21-- 10 p.m; Saturday, June 26 1:30 a.m.)

The Jacksons: An American Dream (Monday, June 21 8 p.m.; Tuesday, June 22 1 p.m., 8 p.m.; Wednesday, June 23 1 p.m., 8 p.m.; Thursday, June 24 1 p.m.)

Top 10 Things You Didnt Know About Michael Jackson (Tuesday, June 22 -- 3:30 a.m; Saturday, June 26 1 a.m. )

Michael Jackson: Life of a Superstar (Friday, June 25 -- 1 p.m.)

Inside the Michael Jackson Mansion: Never Can Say Goodbye (Friday, June 25 -- 2 p.m.)

Michael Jackson History: The King of Pop (Friday, June 25 8 p.m.)

CNN

Michael Jackson: His Final Days (Friday, June 25 5 p.m.; 8 p.m.; 11 p.m.)

E!

E! True Hollywood Story: Michael Jackson (Friday, June 25 8 a.m., 1 p.m.)

E! Investigates: Last Days of Michael Jackson (Friday, June 25 10 a.m., 3 p.m, 8 p.m.)

Michael Jackson (Friday, June 25 11 a.m., 4 p.m., 9 p.m.)

FUSE

Michael Jackson: Remember His Time (Thursday, June 24 8 a.m., 1 p.m., 7 p.m.; Friday, June 25 Midnight, 8 a.m., 1 p.m., 8:30 p.m.)

Michael Jackson: Devotion (Thursday, June 24 Noon, 6 p.m., 11 p.m.; Friday, June 25 7:30 p.m.)

Michael Jackson: A Tribute (Friday, June 25 11 a.m., 6:30 p.m.)

Michael Jackson: The Inside Story (Friday, June 25 5 p.m.)

MTV

Michael Jackson Influence (Friday, June 25 6:30 p.m.)

Michael Jacksons Top 10 Video Countdown (Friday, June 25 5 p.m.; Saturday, June 26 -- 8 a.m.)

Michael Jackson Music Videos (Saturday, June 26 6 a.m.)

QVC

Michael Jackson Music and Memories (Friday, June 25 8 p.m.)

STARZ

"Michael Jackson: This Is It" (too many airings to list)

TLC

The Secret Lives of Michael Jacksons Children (Sunday, June 20-- 9 p.m.; Monday, June 21 -- Midnight; Wednesday, June 238 p.m.; Thursday, June 24 -- 1 a.m.)

TV GUIDE NETWORK

Michael Jackson: His Family Dynasty (Friday, June 25 -- 10 a.m., 4 p.m., 7 p.m.)

Michael Jacksons Entourage: Where Are They Now (Friday, June 25 3 p.m., 6 p.m.)

Hollywood 411: Michael Jackson (Friday, June 25 8 p.m.)

Michael Jackson: Gone Too Soon (Friday, June 25 9 p.m.)

TV ONE

Michael Jackson: 30th Anniversary Celebration (Friday, June 25 8 p.m.; Saturday, June 26 -- Midnight)

Man In The Mirror: The Michael Jackson Story (Friday, June 25 10 p.m.; Saturday, June 26 2 a.m.)

VH1

The Jacksons: An American Dream (Sunday, June 20 1 p.m.; Friday, June 25 Noon)

VH1 CLASSIC

The Jacksons: An American Dream (Friday, June 25 11 a.m., 5 p.m.)

Michael Jackson Videos (Friday, June 25 4 p.m., 10 p.m.)

Unseen MJ photoshoot to be auctioned and published in a new book

French photographer Arno Bani has decided to release the photoshoot he did with MJ near Paris back in July 1999 (it was originally intended for the Invincible artwork, but Sony rejected it). Twelve original pictures will be up for auction, at a starting price of € 1,000 each. 700 outtakes will also be auctioned. The entire set will be included in a book to be released in October. They released the first picture at a press conference today, here it is if you haven't seen it yet (Credit: Agence France Presse/Pierre Bergé/Arno Bani):

post-27009-0-1446133517-54784_thumb.jpg

post-27009-0-1446133517-57645_thumb.jpg

post-27009-0-1446133517-53967_thumb.jpg

Exclusive: Christina Aguilera, Marc Anthony to Pay Tribute to Michael Jackson

This Friday, June 25, marks the one-year anniversary of Michael Jackson's shocking death at age 50.

CBS News' The Early Show will celebrate the legendary singer and performer with The King of Pop: One Year Later, an hour-long broadcast tribute (during the 8am hour) devoted to Jackson's life and legacy.

On hand to remember the superstar? Christina Aguilera, Marc Anthony, LL Cool J and Smokey Robinson -- plus British singer James Morrison, set to perform "Man in the Mirror" live.

The stars shared some of their "King of Pop" memories:

Christina Aguilera: “Music wouldn’t be what it is without someone same archangel Jackson. I advert feat to my broad edifice talent exhibit melodic ‘The Way You Make Me Feel’ and existence a Brobdingnagian follower of his medium Bad. I undergo every my dancers wouldn’t be behindhand me diversion if it weren’t for that.”

Marc Anthony: “A archangel politician comes around literally erst in a lifetime. They fortuity the modeling and I conceive there’re grouping who meet kill their life, their individualized chronicle every for the arts. That’s what archangel did; he sacrificed his chronicle for the arts.”

LL Cool J: “I conceive digit of the coolest things he told me was never bounds yourself; the fact that if grouping crapper signaling your songs then they crapper see it every over the world. Because there are module barriers…People intercommunicate assorted languages every over the world. Melody is power and I conceive archangel rattling apprehended that…What we didn’t retrograde is his heritage and that dumbfounding class and embody of work…We haw hit forfeited the man, but we didn’t retrograde the legacy. The heritage is actually large than that digit manlike being. That heritage grazed millions.”

http://www.usmagazine.com/moviestvmusic/ne...r-later-2010226

Katherine Jackson: "Michael Was Born With Rhythm"

Excerpt from Never Can Say Goodbye, The Katherine Jackson Story, by Katherine Jackson. It can be purchased exclusively from jacksonsecretvault.com. Photos from Never Can Say Goodbye.

I always felt that Michael had talent, but I had no idea that he would achieve the level of success he did. Both myself and my husband Joseph grew up with a great love for music. As a child, I enjoyed singing with my sister, and Joe performed in a band with his brother. Soon after we got married, our home in Gary, Indiana was buzzing to the harmony of country, blues and jazz, all of which our nine children took a liking too.

Michael was born with rhythm. As a baby, it was obvious that he loved music and dance. We had a broken down washing machine that made a racketing sound when set to a rinse cycle. Michael would sit on top of the machine with a bottle in his mouth, bopping and grooving to the rhythmic racket. Even before he could say his first words, he responded very well to sound. I knew then that the music was in him.

Ours was a musical family. It was not unusual to find Joseph and I singing country songs around the house when we were newlyweds. We didn’t have much money to entertain ourselves back then. I remember the time our television set broke down. We could not afford to get it fixed, so to entertain the kids, we encouraged the family to sing together with influences of popular musical acts like The Temptations. With his background in music, and my days playing clarinet in my high school band, Joe and I always had instruments lying around the house. Our kids were encouraged to experiment with music at a young age. It was Tito’s talent that got noticed first. He would borrow the guitar to practice on while Joe worked late shifts at the steel mill. The boys took turns on the instruments, intuitively learning how to compose music and vocals.

It was not long before Joseph discovered his sons' talents and decided to form The Jackson Brothers, with our three oldest sons, Tito, Jackie and Jermaine on lead vocals. Marlon and Michael soon became old enough to join their brothers on back-up vocals and percussion. Joseph renamed the boys The Jackson Five in 1964.

After realizing the talent that was brewing, my husband reduced his shifts at the mill so he could dedicate more time into developing the group. Michael’s vocal range was evolving naturally toward what is now known as the signature sound of the group. At the time, Joseph was hesitant to let his young son bear the weight of center stage, but with my persuasion, he eventually allowed Michael to assist Jermaine on lead vocals.

Jackson remembered in NY, LA, Gary, Ind., elsewhere in world a year after death

A year after Michael Jackson's death caused a worldwide outpouring of shock, tears and tributes, the anniversary of his passing was being marked Friday on a quieter scale, as fans remembered their fallen King of Pop with vigils, prayer and, of course, music.

The electric, enigmatic and troubled icon died on June 25, 2009, at age 50, as he was preparing for a series of comeback concerts in London. Dr. Conrad Murray is charged with involuntary manslaughter in Jackson's death for administering the powerful anaesthetic propofol to Jackson to help the pop star sleep.

At Jackson's final resting place at Forest Lawn in Glendale. Calif., about 500 fans filed past barricades Friday to get close to the mausoleum where Jackson is interred. Some wept, while some carried bouquets; others were armed with cameras to document the moment.

Erick Dominguez, 37, a sales representative from Victorville, Calif., wore a black shirt with Jackson's photo that read: "In Loving Memory."

"He's been my idol all my life since I can remember. I feel like I haven't had closure," he said, starting to weep from behind dark sunglasses.

Yugi Aoki, 33, of Tokyo, came with 13 other Japanese fans. They were all wearing sparkling gloves and fedora hats, one of Jackson's signature looks. Aoki smiled as he described how Jackson influenced him: "Michael Jackson changed myself. We love his dancing and songs."

Members of the Jackson family arrived at the cemetery Friday afternoon, and brother Tito Jackson shook the hands of a few waiting fans.

In Gary, Ind., Jackson's hometown, hundreds of fans began gathering in the afternoon for a tribute at the family home; Jackson's mother, Katherine, was in the city for the event.

Leonia Lowery, 69, a retiree from Chicago, stood against the fence hoping to catch a glimpse of the family matriarch.

"I'm very proud to be here and will be coming here every year because we love him," she said as the King of Pop's music played over loudspeakers set up outside his boyhood home.

In Harlem, pictures of Jackson hung on a wall outside New York's Apollo Theater, where Jackson and his brothers won amateur night in the late 1960s. A sidewalk plaque honoured the singer alongside such other legends as James Brown and Smokey Robinson.

Since the Apollo helped launch the Jackson 5, it has had a strong connection to the late singer. After Jackson's death, it became the de facto gathering place for New York fans. It was an emotional though more low-key scene on Friday morning, as Jackson's music blared from boom boxes and passing cars.

"We are really honoured to have played a part in launching Michael's musical career and to serve as a gathering place for people to come and celebrate his lifetime of achievement," said Jonelle Procope, Apollo president and CEO.

Procope placed Jackson's black hat and sequin glove, both from the theatre's collection, beside his plaque.

D.E. Cayard said he spent 68 days at the Apollo after Jackson's death. He returned Friday, flying in from Miami, to present an artwork as tribute to Jackson.

"I want to be among the people that are telling the world that Michael is forever," he said. "Michael is celebration."

Elsewhere in Harlem, the AMC Magic Johnson Harlem 9 movie theatre screened "This Is It," the documentary about Jackson's preparation for his London concerts, throughout the day. And the Rev. Al Sharpton was to lead a moment of silence in the afternoon.

In Gary, Ind., Jackson's hometown, there was to be a tribute at the family home; city officials said they expected Jackson's mother, Katherine Jackson, and his niece, Genevieve Jackson, to show up. Hundreds of fans were there by mid-day. Katherine Jackson was also to lend her support to a "Forever Michael" fan event in Beverly Hills, Calif., on Saturday.

In Japan, hundreds of fans met at Tokyo Tower to honour Jackson with a candlelight vigil, a gospel concert and more. Some got a chance to see a collection of his possessions, including costumes from his tours and even a 1967 Rolls-Royce Phantom that he used to drive around Los Angeles.

"I don't know what to say. Seeing all his things makes it all come back to me," said Yumiko Sasaki, a 48-year-old Tokyo officer worker who has been a Jackson fan since she was 12. "It makes me so sad to think that he is gone. He was wonderful."

About 50 guests paid $1,100 each to sleep overnight at the Tokyo landmark, where they had catered food, watched a gospel choir, looked at Jackson memorabilia and danced to Michael Jackson's music before observing a period of silence as the sun rose.

But not all memorials were to be sombre. In France, Jackson weekend commemoration plans included a concert and tribute show. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland planned parties for the man who embodied dance music.

"They want to celebrate his life and music," DJ Jon Quick said of the expected partygoers Friday night at New York's club Taj, where he would play Jackson tunes.

On Twitter, "RIPMJ" was one of the most popular topics. Mariah Carey said she was marking the day by watching the video to "You Are Not Alone."

"Love and prayers to MJ 'King of Pop,'" Carey tweeted. "You will be remembered forever. We miss you."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/entertain...h-97147529.html