Bellazon

Christy Turlington
Thumbnail

seshiru

Wo, .I said Cindy but I meant Christy. :laugh: :blush: I will have it for you as soon as I set up the new scanner!!!!

Or you can check out post#1777 a couple of pages back. :blush:

Thanks for the heads-up PhilA. I guess I should have said 'new to me'! It's an amazing editorial nonetheless!

Wo, .I said Cindy but I meant Christy. :laugh: :blush: I will have it for you as soon as I set up the new scanner!!!!

Thanks for the heads-up PhilA. I guess I should have said 'new to me'! It's an amazing editorial nonetheless!

It sure is! It's just such a pain to scan & merge larger than A4 sized pages that I thought I'd mention it and save you the hassle. :flower:

It sure is! It's just such a pain to scan & merge larger than A4 sized pages that I thought I'd mention it and save you the hassle. :flower:

And that you did!!! Along with avoiding a repost, just a few pages away! Thanks again! ;) :flower:

Great stuff, Phil. As usual. :)

one of the all time great editorials

I do think that's a nice editorial (I'm particularly fond of hi-con black-and-white, personally).

It's a tough choice, but I think Wet Mischief (Demarchelier, 1992) is still #1 for me. The title page of that editorial.

( http://djuna.cine21.com/christy/92b.html )

has been laid out to absolute perfection

Phil, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Can you say a little bit more?

:wave:

Great stuff, Phil. As usual. :)
one of the all time great editorials

I do think that's a nice editorial (I'm particularly fond of hi-con black-and-white, personally).

It's a tough choice, but I think Wet Mischief (Demarchelier, 1992) is still #1 for me. The title page of that editorial.

( http://djuna.cine21.com/christy/92b.html )

has been laid out to absolute perfection

Phil, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Can you say a little bit more?

:wave:

Well, for what my opinion is worth, you can have the best images ever but if the Art Director doesn't lay them out sympathetically then you are going to be disappointed. :yuckky:

There are heaps of books out there on Art Direction and famous ADs, but in relation to this W editorial have a look at the posts prior to 1777 where only the images of Christy were posted and not necessarily in the page order at that. Obviously the pics are fantastic but when compared to the actual magazine layout they aren't as strong. The use of three "styles" - the hard lit white background, the softer lit grey, and the art works on black, stop the whole shoot from being a boring "all on white" effort. As you turn each page you are not sure what "style" you are going to see, so your interest is kept high; but there is enough regularity (the art work pages separated by 4 other pages - with the second last "white" page as a neat twist) that it is not completely messy & random. Note also that each of the "grey" pages has Christy in a static, face-on 3/4 length pose which provides both change AND a pleasing regularity compared to an "all white" look. The white pages are dynamically posed and lit and form the basis of the whole story, with the "stillness" of the other pages reinforcing that, plus the non-white pages emphasise the "classical champion" feel the magazine was striving for. Obviously this layout suits the formal style of the photography here and wouldn't necessarily work for a "Lindberg on the beach" shoot or a grungy Juergen Teller shoot.

However here, I reckon this editorial is about as perfect as you are ever going to see! :thumbsup:

That's interesting, Phil. I'm glad you took the time to write. That was a nice expression of what you appreciated about that editorial.

:)

Well, for what my opinion is worth, you can have the best images ever but if the Art Director doesn't lay them out sympathetically then you are going to be disappointed. :yuckky:

There are heaps of books out there on Art Direction and famous ADs, but in relation to this W editorial have a look at the posts prior to 1777 where only the images of Christy were posted and not necessarily in the page order at that. Obviously the pics are fantastic but when compared to the actual magazine layout they aren't as strong. The use of three "styles" - the hard lit white background, the softer lit grey, and the art works on black, stop the whole shoot from being a boring "all on white" effort. As you turn each page you are not sure what "style" you are going to see, so your interest is kept high; but there is enough regularity (the art work pages separated by 4 other pages - with the second last "white" page as a neat twist) that it is not completely messy & random. Note also that each of the "grey" pages has Christy in a static, face-on 3/4 length pose which provides both change AND a pleasing regularity compared to an "all white" look. The white pages are dynamically posed and lit and form the basis of the whole story, with the "stillness" of the other pages reinforcing that, plus the non-white pages emphasise the "classical champion" feel the magazine was striving for. Obviously this layout suits the formal style of the photography here and wouldn't necessarily work for a "Lindberg on the beach" shoot or a grungy Juergen Teller shoot.

However here, I reckon this editorial is about as perfect as you are ever going to see! :thumbsup: